When should you skip lessons?

tehk1w1

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I woke up this morning after a really good workout the night prior, and my body aches a ton. I was practicing a new move (escaping from the RNC) during lessons, and I'm pretty sure I twisted my back in a way that I've never twisted it before.

Anyway, my body is pretty sore, but probably not sore enough to skip lessons.

Question is: how sore should you be before you decide it's probably wiser to take a day off to let your body recover?

Better to take time off when you think you need it then to wait until it's too late.

I've been taking time off because I'm sick. If I were really hurting, I'd think about not going and letting myself recuperate.

Only you can really know your body and your injuries that well. It's a personal decision but taking a few days to rest will never hurt you (unless you miss a seminar!)

I pretty much only skip when I have something contagious (I know what you are thinking, :mad: but I'm referring to colds/flu, etc. )

You SHOULD skip class when you are in pain or when you are sore and haven't slept well, but I break both those rules so....yeah. If you are injured or sick go to a doctor. If not, I guess you could go to practice. You can control how hard you go, right?

No one knows your body as well as you do.

There's some days you will realize you need to man up and just go and there's other days rest is beneficial. The more training you do, the more you are in tune with your own body. I can go pretty sore but that is me. If you are fatigued, maybe take a day off. Sore, nahhhhhh.

I'm in graduate school so my workload is usually the main factor on if I train on any given day.

I'll ocassionally skip a day if I'm sick, really sore or have a nagging injury. Class and work keeps me from training on Wednesdays and Fridays so I always get those days off.

the first thing you need to do is "be real with yourself". Just be honest, if training is going to be counterproductive or lead to more injury then skip it and go the next day.

If you have to think about it, most often then you can go to class. You'll know when you cant train.

Have you ever shat your pants recently?

Only you know your limits.

Now that I'm fairly fit, I wouldn't even think of skipping practice because of "soreness".

When I was unfit, soreness may lead me to getting injuries so I might skip practice under those circumstances.

i only skip if i am injured or hyper sick, soreness go to class

I tore my quad a bit a little over a week ago. I took a week off, and talked to my instructor before class yesterday. He fully understood, and there were (of course) no problems.

If you're legitimately hurt, you're hurt. No sense in making it worse. If you're actually sick, you need to heal. If you have a hangnail, you're a pussy. Get on the mat or don't bother showing up. So to answer, it's your back, you would know better than all of us. Are you going to aggravate it? Maybe you should just play it by ear? Maybe just take a couple ibuprofen and get back at it. It's your call, you have to live with the decision, not us.

I have an addictive personality so I go ALL in ALL the time. Like when I first started playing guitar, its all I did, all I thought about etc. Then BJJ came into the picture and its all I do/think about. I train 5 times a week and wish I could train more. So it really sucks when I have to skip a class.

I have BAD knees (tore both MCL's) and have seperated both of my floater ribs (in class...) so sometimes I just have to take it easy or even skip a class. you have to think that if you are in pain, and keep pushing yourself, you will end up in more pain and will have to take time off... a lot more time off.

never take a lesson off even if ur sick. if u absolutely have to just go to the dojo and sit on the side and watch the lesson

I skip classes if:

-I'm hurt and things can get worse, or I'm too hurt to train
-Have something more important to do
-I'm sick in a way that wouldn't let me train. Like having the shits. Since I don't use socks when training, I can't just tuck my pants inside them.
-When I have something more fun than training to do. It's something very rare for me...

So I work by that ruleset. What I ask myself is: what could I lose if I go? What could I win if I don't go? If I have answers for both of that questions, I don't skip a beat and stay at home.

Even if I'm hurt, I go and watch and help My instructor out. It is great sometimes to just sit back and watch guys roll. You learn a lot about BJJ that way. I had neck surgery three years ago, and went to all the class while I healed and when I got back on the mat I felt Like I hadn't missed and technique.

If you're hurt, take a break.

If you're just sore, sometimes rolling can loosen you up. It does for me anyways. Just take it easier than usual.

If you're hurt, take a break.

If you're just sore, sometimes rolling can loosen you up. It does for me anyways. Just take it easier than usual.

Yes, good point. When I'm feeling particularly sore, I especially like going to class and stretching and doing the warm ups. I hate it when there are no warmups and we go straight to the drilling. It's the quickest way to make me feel like shit.

Back