When rounds are close, judges give them to the champion

People have strange ideas about what makes something a sport. I would say it's a physical activity that is competitive. Doing the rings in gymnastics is a sport but you have judges scoring it.

Etymologically speaking, an athlete is simply anyone who competes against other people for a prize. So under that definition, professional bowlers and pool players are athletes. Food for thought

It's a nonsense myth that comes from boxing that has no place in sports.

To be the champ , you have to BEAT the champ....not run away all night and pray for the judges to hand it to you.
That's simply not true.

This is round by round scoring, and the winner of the round wins the round, regardless of who is champion.

Reyes pretty clearly won rounds 1-3 according to fightmetric, and Jones takedowns were a non-factor early on.

To be the champ , you have to BEAT the champ....not run away all night and pray for the judges to hand it to you.

^ Truth. Fights are scored by rounds. You are supposed to be completely neutral to who is in the cage fighting.

Rogan looks to go on about the Whittaker/Romero fight and how Yoel was "fucking up" Robert in the last round so he won that fight. If we are talking about street fights, sure but this is round by round scoring.

I think a lot of judges are afraid to cost the the champion their title when it's a close round and I get that but that doesn't mean it's how you should score a fight.

How does this old boxing adage still have legs? It's not a real thing.

Judges are not told to give the champ the benefit of the doubt in close rounds.

Agreed. People crying robbery sound like bitter noobs. Even coming from a Jones hater.

That one judge that scored it 49-46 should be fired.

The rest was all opinions... like all combat sports judging. Nothing you can really do...

Dana’s been saying it for decades now.

“Don’t leave it in the hands of the judges.” - <31>

It's right there in the rules. "To be the champion you have to win by a large margin" just like every other sport. When the Knicks beat the Celtics by 1 point the Celtics win. When Norwich beat Liverpool by 4-3 Liverpool still win. When anyone beats Federer by 1 point Federer still wins. Oh wait... that's not how real sports work.

^ This. The rules are the rules.

The "to beat the champ" line only exists in Sherdogger's retarded brains.

Expect when you actually watch the fight and one guys is countering, attacking, using lateral movement and the other guy (the champ) is just following the opponent around with INEFFECTIVE AGGRESSION.

Dana’s been saying it for decades now.

“Don’t leave it in the hands of the judges.” - <31>
That line has been around for ages - long before dana and the ufc.

Judges, unless they're corrupt and being instructed, need to learn about INEFFECTIVE AGGRESSION - which jon was doing most of that fight. Just because you're champ doesn't mean you can just follow your opponent around doing nothing and get the benefit of the doubt.

Reyes didn't outstrike Jones with 15-20 shots it was 4-5 etc... Jones had the forward pressure and octagon control.
I dont have a certain opinion about the result, it could go both ways but i think this is the reason why the fight went to Jones' favor.
That and he won the last 2 rounds that tends to stick in the judges mind more. Either way I was right in that I predicted Reyes would be a very tough threat for Jones.

That's simply not true.

This is round by round scoring, and the winner of the round wins the round, regardless of who is champion.

Reyes pretty clearly won rounds 1-3 according to fightmetric, and Jones takedowns were a non-factor early on.
Nope, it simply IS true....hence the result which Sherdog scored for Jones as well.

^ Truth. Fights are scored by rounds. You are supposed to be completely neutral to who is in the cage fighting.

Rogan looks to go on about the Whittaker/Romero fight and how Yoel was "fucking up" Robert in the last round so he won that fight. If we are talking about street fights, sure but this is round by round scoring.

I think a lot of judges are afraid to cost the the champion their title when it's a close round and I get that but that doesn't mean it's how you should score a fight.

Helwani has never been a fighter. He would lose a fighter to his sister.

He is an instigating weasel who Nick Diaz should have slapped

Jon did his own share of running when his ass got stung multiple times

The thing is, you can look at a higher number but you still have to manage what you think were most effective. A couple glancing blows aren’t as effective as a clean hard body kick.

That and he won the last 2 rounds that tends to stick in the judges mind more. Either way I was right in that I predicted Reyes would be a very tough threat for Jones.

Stick in the judges mind more? They score it after every round, is doesn't matter what happens in the later rounds as the judges have already scored the first few rounds.

Back