When rolling should you tap to a uncomfortable position?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I just started doing bjj and joined a gym. I went with a blue belt and thought I could submit. I got close a few times but he knew exactly what to do and it ended in me giving up a submission. This happen two times in a row then the third time we rolled I decided to survive. He got me into a lot of uncomfortable positions where my neck and other limbs hurt but I knew it wouldn't break or tear anything. It ended in a stalemate but he had a lot of dominant positions. If you're just rolling do you tap from pain holds? The next day I was sore as hell from muscle stretching but no injuries.

Never tap. Never give up.

If you give up in the gym you'll give up in real life.

Let the limbs tear brother. They will heal themselves in time.

I would say yes. If you're going regularly and just hanging out getting your neck cranked, getting stacked hard etc., your joints are gonna have a bad time.

We have a grappling forum for questions like this you know.

If you want out, tap.

It all depends. If he has you and you refuse to tap because he's not going to break a partners arm you are a dick. If he has a sub not all the way locked in then you better be working out of it

sure you can, and most people do.

But you will lose the respect of your dojo and no one will ever consider you the alpha.

if thats ok with you being a jobber beta for the alphas to practice on, then so be it.

Interesting user name/thread content juxtaposition.

Can you describe any of the uncomfortable positions? Are we talking armbar or choke type stuff? Or more knee/forearm across your face, or knees up around your ears?

If you're new then yeah, but you'll get used to it.

I once tapped out from having a guy mount on my head and I could smell his stanky arse. When I tapped he was like 'what?' and I explained to him the importance of washing your arse crack and other useful life tips.

Never tap. Never give up.

If you give up in the gym you'll give up in real life.

Let the limbs tear brother. They will heal themselves in time.

To quote Bill Gates " Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard!"

If you are beat and in a tough situation, tap out. Makes no sense to get messed up in training , especially if you are going to fight in the ring. If you don't want to tap in the ring, fine keep fighting, it makes sense because it's a fight.

To quote Bill Gates " Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard!"

If you are beat and in a tough situation, tap out. Makes no sense to get messed up in training , especially if you are going to fight in the ring. If you don't want to tap in the ring, fine keep fighting, it makes sense because it's a fight.

Miesha Tate disagrees with you.

So do I.

Never say die. Never show weakness. If the limb breaks it will grow back together again. This isn't humpty dumpty.

Hang strong brother, don't give 'em the satisfaction of tapping.

Don't tap from uncomfortable positions. But if it's a sub, you tap.

Not tapping to an actual submission puts you in danger, and it's pretty douchey towards your partner.

Also, post this shit in f12. I know you got shit from the last thread you started, but the shit you got is what you need to hear.

If you're sore the next day from it, you should have tapped.

Never tap. They should know how much force to apply to not break anything and when to let go.

You don't want to be known as the guy who tapped.

As a beginner YES. Eventually you will have a better feel of when to tap out.

if its not a submission....i wouldnt,your not gonna die in the dojo,and its a perfect chance for you to man up,and mentally deal with a tough situation,this is why you train, for moments like this

Poke his eyes out if caught in a uncomfortable position.

Back