When people say cutting weight is bad for you...

Snowfist

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was wondering which aspect is particularly unhealthy...and what are the specific health effects?

Here is what I understand to be true...

Being too dehydrated can lead to Kidney failure.

Ex: Daniel Cormier

Obviously Kidney failure is bad.

But if your kidneys don't fail...is dehydration rapidly aging you? Are your kidneys getting somewhat damaged every time?

For instance...Conor was an obviously extreme weight-cutter at 145...has he done significant damage to his kidneys or aged exponentially from these cuts? Will his career be cut short? Or is he fine because his kidneys didn't fail?

Is it unhealthy to drop from reasonably good shape...AKA 17% bodyfat down to 8% bodyfat on a regular basis? I think most people yoyo in weight with the holidays...the fighters just have lower %s in their peaks and lower averages than the general public.

Yes cutting weight is terrible for you. it destroys your hormones, ruins their homeostasis.

also...losing water is absoutely horrible for every organ in your body, not only your kidneys.

have you ever been dehydrated? feels like death. it's terrible. Conor is young, there is no way he can keep up the cut to 145 for the next 3-5 years. impossible.

It's terrible for all your intestines and kidneys, it also makes you more likely to get KO'd brutally.

The biggest danger in extreme weight cuts is the cerebral fluid loss. It protects your brain and your brain can't rehydrate in 24 hours.

edit:

Wrong thread. Sorry guys, and water is important for all organs.

Back