When Mike Tyson looked terrified.......

Mike tyson was always scared before a fight he's even said it during idk

I was too young too know how fans felt about tyson during his reign but I agree he did look terrified I'm huge Holyfield fan and tyson knew Holyfield was the real deal no pun intended he hit him with his best shots and in the words of Bowes manager this damn pitbull from ga just keeps coming

But I feel like at this time in Tyson's career mentally he was just fighting for money his personal life was a wreck he no longer had his old killer attitude.

I was too young too know how fans felt about tyson during his reign .

Tyson was the Pacquiao of the 80s. Unbeatable. Would beat any great in their primes and had no flaws. Gets stopped by Marquez/Douglas- Overrated. Had holes in his game and would never have beaten any decent fighter in history.Ever.

Tyson was the Pacquiao of the 80s. Unbeatable. Would beat any great in their primes and had no flaws. Gets stopped by Marquez/Douglas- Overrated. Had holes in his game and would never have beaten any decent fighter in history.Ever.

I was only a kid then too but didnt a good deal of the public and boxing scribs think spinks would win??

pacquiao never had tyson's aura ,he was always human . even before his mainstream stardom , people saw him lose ( morales ), get KTFO'd ( 3k battery ) , and get gift decisions ....

pacquiao never had tyson's aura ,he was always human . even before his mainstream stardom , people saw him lose ( morales ), get KTFO'd ( 3k battery ) , and get gift decisions ....

Its the best comparison I could think of for someone who didn't grow up in that era. Tyson was probably the last boxer that even people who didn't like boxing knew by name, on sight.

...........watch below and skip to the 30 seconds between 8.00 and 8.30 of this video.

[YT]aV2slj8ciAE[/YT]

Let me preface, all through my childhood I worshiped Tyson and thought he was invincible. Like a lot of kids born in the early 80's, I was a teenager during his post prison comeback and he came in and just re-ignited the aura.

Now, years later, I watch Tyson fans with the same curiosity as I'm sure people watched me. He was far from invincible, and wasn't the phenom I thought he was, but more to the point of this thread, on watching this fight the other day after years (and I stayed up all night in Ireland to watch them on Sky in 1996 and 1997), I realised how utterly terrified he looked against Holyfield, while Holyfield looked like an absolute boss standing there staring him down, and the one thing I thought was unchallengable about him really wasn't in that he wasn't all that intimidating once the mystique was gone.

Quiet and confident is more intimidating than loud and brash, and this staredown exemplifies it more than anything.

Why do you feel it necessary to denigrate Tyson? Im looking at you curiously alright, and what Im thinking isnt too flattering.

Why do you feel it necessary to denigrate Tyson? Im looking at you curiously alright, and what Im thinking isnt too flattering.

Pointing out something I never noticed before isn't denigrating in a manner such as this. I'm hardly fighter bashing.

Tyson has openly admitted he was scared before fights, like many fighters are. He projected an aura but he was never the immortal we all said he was. That was fandom. My gramps used to try and tell me that when I was a kid and Id have none of it, but he was right.

Holyfield shook his confidence for sure, as did Lennox. However, I dont think Tyson fears any man on the planet.

And, as Ive pointed out countless times recently, this didnt just become the normal for Tyson. There was a very select few who could do it to him. Plenty of other good fighters still were scared shitless of Mike and got their heads knocked off.

Didnt realize this was a bump.

nerves before a fight is normal. you are going into combat and feel butterflies in your stomach. Being all calm and cool is not normal. Nerves help you. Vladmir Klitschko did an interview where he talked about how he feels fear before every fight, but he likes that feeling because it keeps him alert. He expects that feeling and calls it the gift from mother nature. Staredowns don't mean shit. A fighter can look cool or intimidating but get his ass beat in the actual fight.

start at mark 5:10

I think they were right about how tyson felt at that monument. Like he just wanted to cry but just put up the front.

Tyson is emotional as fuck, and on top of that unstable as it gets.

Think people really over portray both sides of the guy. He was either a mental midget who could easily get bullied or he was the baddest SOB to ever live and no one could break him in his prime.

IMO the truth lies somewhere in the middle of those extremes.

Can't read that much into body language imo....Cotto looks "beta" in every staredown he's ever been in yet we all know what happens when he gets into the ring...

The Alpha vs Beta shit is just about social dominance and social aggression....Doesn't mean much in boxing/fighting....You're skills, chin, and heart matter 1000x's more...

Another example would be Machida vs Rampage....Machida looked "beta" in the staredown yet whooped Rampages ass in the fight....

nerves before a fight is normal. you are going into combat and feel butterflies in your stomach. Being all calm and cool is not normal. Nerves help you. Vladmir Klitschko did an interview where he talked about how he feels fear before every fight, but he likes that feeling because it keeps him alert. He expects that feeling and calls it the gift from mother nature. Staredowns don't mean shit. A fighter can look cool or intimidating but get his ass beat in the actual fight.

Yep look at the Cotto vs Martinez face off compared to the actual fight...I remember people were saying "Martinez is gonna kill him look at how Alpha he is in the face off" lol we know that happened...

GOAT Staredown.

hawklithowebsite.jpg

Who always Looked up during the touching of the gloves?

Last edited:
Tyson's main problem was that he ran into a prime Holyfield.

Back