When it comes to striking

noXtransitory**

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whuch class would I be better off going to? At my local MMA gym they have MMA stand-up classes but they also have kickboxing classes. Which would be better for someone hoping to eventually have some amateur bouts, then (if successful) pro bouts?

Why not take them both?
this.if you are planning of fighting you need all the experience you can get PLUS going to the gym every day at least once.i would say go to every class your gym offers or at least one per day and run in the mornings before that.thats assuming they arent on the same day, and if they are and you have the time i would still go to both and if you dont have the time talk with your coaches and consider your personal goals to determine which one is better for you

That depends..

If you're talking about: MUAY THAI kickboxing or KYOKUSHIN based (Dutch) kickboxing or SAVATE kickboxing or SANDA kickboxing; then yes absolutely you should train it.

But if it's just some cardio kickboxing ala Tae-bo I'd say skip it

Go to an actual striking gym

Do you wanna compete in MMA or Kickboxing? That is the question.

If youre alledging that learning "MMA Striking" is in any way better for either sport, youre high off your ass.

"MMA Striking" is a joke.

If youre alledging that learning "MMA Striking" is in any way better for either sport, youre high off your ass.

Depends on who is teaching it. Under someone that actually knows what they are doing good striking trained with MMA style clinch work & takedowns would be a good class.

Truth is, for MMA, you need to train MMA striking. You might also need to do a "pure" striking art to get the skills down, but your striking needs to be integrated with your wrestling to be effective.

Unless it's the same coach at the gym teaching both classes. A lot of gyms hire kickboxing coaches to teach their MMA students how to "strike" while running separate "kickboxing" classes.

Back