Social When is a sucker punch not a sucker punch?

I mean this isn't a sucker punch either but I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me

Dude stepped up in his face and threatened violence upon him, his own fault for turning around. Dude could be going to grab a gun from his car, you never know.

I agree with this.

We've got a six second clip that starts with the guy in what looks to me like a defensive position. He's got one arm up to block, and the other cocked back. It very much sounded like 'if we do this I'm going to hit you with this weapon' which is distinctly different from 'I am going to hit you with this weapon regardless'. Telling a person how you are going to defend yourself if things get physical doesn't mean you know they have crossed that line. If we saw the rest of the altercation I might change my opinion on whether or not this was a real physical threat.

That said, my comment was more aimed at the idea of there being 'fighting words.'

You sound like one of these guys who will avoid a physical confrontation at all costs even when they should fight back and then try to rationalise it.

I've mentioned this numerous times but it seems to fall on deaf ears ITT. There is world a difference between a "fuck you buddy" and "I'm gonna fuck you up" but apparently if someone makes a legit threat you still can not strike first without it being a sucker punch. Even if they are looking you straight in the face as it happens.

People jabbering is usually people working up the courage to do something. The real key is entering your personal space. If the person is 10' away and not moving, its really not threatening either way.

In the parlance I typically use, a sucker punch is from someone outside the field of vision of the target. Either a punch to the side of the head or a rabbit punch to the back of the head.

Within that field of vision, a distraction is more like a "cold clock". You are somewhat facing someone and there could be residual tension, but you are not squared up ready to fight.

People jabbering is usually people working up the courage to do something. The real key is entering your personal space. If the person is 10' away and not moving, its really not threatening either way.

In the parlance I typically use, a sucker punch is from someone outside the field of vision of the target. Either a punch to the side of the head or a rabbit punch to the back of the head.

Within that field of vision, a distraction is more like a "cold clock". You are somewhat facing someone and there could be residual tension, but you are not squared up ready to fight.
Solid points
<LynchWink>

Back