Social When is a sucker punch not a sucker punch?

BEER

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whether it be the Street Coliseum or Worldstar or whatever, there are a lot of accusations of sucker punches.

Some people seem to believe that it's a sucker punch unless the guys are squared up pawing jabs at each other.

My personal opinion on the matter is that it doesn't count as a sucker punch if there are fighting words and/or threats within two steps of punching range. If you're talking shit and threatening someone who is that close to you, you're relying on pure faith that you don't get hit. That's not a sucker punch.

If someone runs up on you (especially from the side or back) and clocks you, sure. Sucker punch. It's hard for me to think of someone hitting someone face-to-face during shit talk as a sucker punch

Here is an example:

In the Reddit thread I first saw this, people were calling it a sucker punch. But the guy had a weapon (baton) and threatened to break the other guy's kneecaps. That's not a sucker punch. Thats a dude hoping his bravado would scare away someone ready to fight.

Discuss

That video is not a sucker anything!

That man was threatening him with an asp!

And Richard M. Nixon's middle name is Moe.

That is the exact opposite of a sucker punch, IMO.

Waiting until someone is distracted or not looking before you throw is a sucker punch.

Whether it be the Street Coliseum or Worldstar or whatever, there are a lot of accusations of sucker punches.

Some people seem to believe that it's a sucker punch unless the guys are squared up pawing jabs at each other.

My personal opinion on the matter is that it doesn't count as a sucker punch if there are fighting words and/or threats within two steps of punching range. If you're talking shit and threatening someone who is that close to you, you're relying on pure faith that you don't get hit. That's not a sucker punch.

If someone runs up on you (especially from the side or back) and clocks you, sure. Sucker punch. It's hard for me to think of someone hitting someone face-to-face during shit talk as a sucker punch

Here is an example:

In the Reddit thread I first saw this, people were calling it a sucker punch. But the guy had a weapon (baton) and threatened to break the other guy's kneecaps. That's not a sucker punch. Thats a dude hoping his bravado would scare away someone ready to fight.

Discuss

That video is not a sucker punch, thats a self defense strike against a guy with a weapon who was threatening him. that dude in the green has to be a fighter the way he delivered that two piece was clean as fuck like a pro boxer.

A sucker punch is when there is no warning or altercation, for example you pretend to be friendly with someone an sucker punch them or blind side them catching them off guard.

When your life is threatened and in danger like the video you posted with the guy with the weapon and you ice him and call the cops thats self defense.

These are sucker punches

Here is an example:

Discuss

I respectfully disagree. Although well provoked , I still consider the video to be a sucker punch. Sucker punches can be used in self defense l

To me it doesn't matter what they are saying to each other or what one of them is holding. If he wasn't prepared to fight (although stupid and totally his fault) it is a sucker punch.

If the video were of the same 2 men saying "fuck you" to each other instead of threatening knees and the one was holding a bottle of water instead of a weapon... I would call it a much less provoked sucker punch.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Although well provoked , I still consider the video to be a sucker punch. Sucker punches can be used in self defense l.

To me it doesn't matter what they are saying to each other or what one of them is holding. If he wasn't prepared to fight (although stupid and totally his fault) it is a sucker punch.

If the video were of the same 2 men saying "fuck you" to each other instead of threatening knees and the one was holding a bottle of water instead of a weapon... I would call it a much less provoked sucker punch.
Lol wut

And Richard M. Nixon's middle name is Moe.
AnimatedHiddenBoa-max-1mb.gif

this thread was intended as a sucker punch.
neener neener, missed diphsit

*Milhous btw

I'm throwing as soon as you're in range it's not my fault you didn't think I would

I used to have this same conversation with my buddies back in the day. It seems like we could never agree, it's like one of those topics where someone will have a slighty different outlook.

Story from when I was in High School...
I've been sucker punched, at least I think I have. In this case I pulled into a gas station where some of my friends (15-17 years old) I knew were mouthing off to some older dudes (26-30 years old). I pulled up unaware of what was going on but I could tell something was happening. I stepped out my car and before I could even shut my door some dude had hit me. He hit me because one of my buddies at the gas station said I would fuck that dude up (I'm totally unaware of this as this at the time as I was still parking my car at the gas station). It made me see stars for damn near 5 seconds, I never got hit again as I just started throwing air punches (actually punched gas station ice chest freezer and cut my hand). I consider this a sucker punch but I've had people tell me I should've seen the guy coming.

Here is an example:

Discuss

Yeah that's not a sucker punch imo... I've seen this video before and I was glad he laid that dude out. Fuck him and his baton.

Here is an example:

Discuss

Lead hook to 2. Beautiful.

As for my contribution to this thread, when the phrase "See what happens" is said.

Here is an example:

Discuss

If a guy is in your face it's not a sucker punch. I've started a few fights throwing the first punch. I dont go by that rule. If hes bumping you then shits about to pop off so you might as well start ahead.

If a guy is in your face it's not a sucker punch. I've started a few fights throwing the first punch. I dont go by that rule. If hes bumping you then shits about to pop off so you might as well start ahead.

I've seen a lot of fights where dudes started nose to nose and still saw comments that it was a sucker punch.

I respectfully disagree. Although well provoked , I still consider the video to be a sucker punch. Sucker punches can be used in self defense l

Nah. Dude had a weapon and threatened to use it. If he wasn't ready to fight with those words, that's his problem. Talk shit, get hit.

I posted a thread a while back about some captain-save-ho who came up talking about he was going to kill me and/or beat my ass. I hit him and suddenly his tune changed.

It stops being a sucker punch once someone threatens you. Whether or not they've squared up for a fight. That's their fault. The only sucker is the dude who waits to be attacked before throwing a punch that is coming. If a guy is just trying to big dog you with words, it's still not a sucker punch.

Fighting words are fighting words for a reason.

in a street fight situation going against a complete stranger, where you have no idea what they are capable of, theres no such thing as a sucker punch. if it looks like youre gonna have to fight, its life and death. win at all costs.

otherwise you might end up having too much "honor" to sucker punch, but that wont really mean shit after your opponent soccer kicks your unconscious skull 10 times and you turn into a potato.

if a guy is pressing me and triggers my fight reflex, Im gonna wait until hes within striking distance and then look to the side and yell "OFFICER! OVER HERE!" and when the guy looks away expecting to see police I'm gonna remove his jaw from his face.

I cant find the video but Chael has some good insight/quotes on this. Basically says if you let a guy get in your face and throw the first punch, you're a sucker and an idiot. if a guy is threatening you in any way and you dont strike first and strike hard, you're not honorable you're just an idiot.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of fights where dudes started nose to nose and still saw comments that it was a sucker punch.

Nah. Dude had a weapon and threatened to use it. If he wasn't ready to fight with those words, that's his problem. Talk shit, get hit.

I posted a thread a while back about some captain-save-ho who came up talking about he was going to kill me and/or beat my ass. I hit him and suddenly his tune changed.

It stops being a sucker punch once someone threatens you. Whether or not they've squared up for a fight. That's their fault. The only sucker is the dude who waits to be attacked before throwing a punch that is coming. If a guy is just trying to big dog you with words, it's still not a sucker punch.

Fighting words are fighting words for a reason.

Just because you're a filthy animal that thinks it's okay to hit someone because they said some mean things to you, doesn't mean other, civilized people think that way. When you hit someone who doesn't realize they're in a physical fight, it's a sucker punch.

Back