When is a martial art related tattoo too soon?

Saie

White Belt
Reaction score
So recently I've been debating on getting another tattoo, my first one being related to my Persian culture. I wanted my second tattoo to be related to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which I've been training in for over a year and just recently received my blue belt.

I've got the design already in mind, and it is NOT affiliated with my school (or any school) and is merely a drawing of two practitioners grappling, and I was thinking about getting it on my upper left arm.

Is it too soon to get a BJJ related tattoo as a blue belt? I heard that when you're a BJJ Blue Belt you begin to really figure out your game, and it IS something I'm passionate about, but I don't want to look like a fool to any higher ranked practitioner if being a blue doesn't mean I'm experienced enough for representation.

Last edited:
Just make sure to get it on your upper arm so it's on show while walking around in your tapout wife beater.

If you care about other people's opinion, it's too soon.

If you care about other people's opinion, it's too soon.

Also wait until purple since most people burn out at blue.

Blue are like newbie gains in lifting, the moment when you stall and need to put some serious effort and brain into it to keep progressing.

Pay 'tention, my frien': Any time befoar you 'eceive the faixa preta is too soon.

Last edited:
I've got the design already in mind, and it is NOT affiliated with my school (or any school) and is merely a detailed drawing of two practitioners grappling

Getting a tattoo that 99% of people will interpret as detailed imagery of man-love is a bold and progressive move.

Just make sure to get it on your upper arm so it's on show while walking around in your tapout wife beater.

Get me that tapout wife beater and I'll let you know how people react. :rolleyes:

I came onto this part of the forum to get advice from older practitioners on whether or not I'm too new to the art to represent it as my new passion. Not new to martial arts, just to bjj. There's no real need for the rudeness or hostility, lol

is merely a detailed drawing of two practitioners grappling, and I was thinking about getting it on my upper left arm.

I think it is a bad idea. no matter what you think: a drawing of 2 men grappling on your skin NOT gonna look good.

Also wait until purple since most people burn out at blue.

Blue are like newbie gains in lifting, the moment when you stall and need to put some serious effort and brain into it to keep progressing.

I hear ya'.

Perhaps when I've become a brown or something in a few years I might circle back to the idea (yes folks, it was just an idea) if it still sounds good to me. Thanks to all (some in their own way) for answering my question.

As far as the idea (just at a first glance concept I pulled up in a few minutes) for a "detailed drawing" - http://oi60.tinypic.com/rhvl06.jpg

I wouldn't plan on getting something too weird-looking tatted anywhere on me. I kinda like how that spider guard looks. :icon_conf

Take care!

Get me that tapout wife beater and I'll let you know how people react. :rolleyes:

I came onto this part of the forum to get advice from older practitioners on whether or not I'm too new to the art to represent it as my new passion. Not new to martial arts, just to bjj. There's no real need for the rudeness or hostility, lol

We are afraid that if we come soft you may do something stupid.

Do what you want, but IMHO a blue belt is still a relative beginner in this past time.

Last edited:
I got mine as a promise when I got my blue, bjj meant a huge change in my life, I could say it saved my life... I got hooked from the beginning and want this for the rest of my life, my opinon, fuck it do it if you want too...

First off -- do whatever you want since it is your skin in the game.

To me, a year of training perhaps isn't enough to know if you will continue this life-long. I would say wait until you get through your first injury and rehab and then return to training or if you don't get injured wait through another real hardship in your training and see what happens. It seems lots of people at blue belt burn out, especially after an injury.

Why is it that people here get so into BJJ that they make it into something important? Especially when they've only done it for a year or so?

I just don't understand. Is it because that's the first time they did some sort of "hard" sport and they love it? Did they miss out on camaraderie somehow? I don't get it.

This whole idea of tattoos having to have all sorts of meaning is dumb. You can get art purely because you like it.

Getting a tattoo that 99% of people will interpret as detailed imagery of man-love is a bold and progressive move.

yeah i think that's about all i have to say about the matter. ^^^

get it across your back in case you ever end up in prison dude on top will probably like it.

try to get the artist to riff off this classic image of turkish oil wrestling.
images

tattoos are fucking dumb any way you cut it

When you are ready to stop getting laid, you are ready for a grappling tattoo.

Back