1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

When (if ever) will the UFC have a true feeder system?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by stin4tw, Jan 9, 2013.

1. riitzni Silver Belt

Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    They already have a feeder system...THE REST OF THE GODDAMN PLANET!

Seriously, there was an article the other day about how the UFC was poaching Asian fighters simply because they could. There's no regulatory body making sure the org doesn't get screwed when their best fighters head off to Vegas. Why would they bother setting up lower tier shows and taking the rest when there are dozens of small businesses doing it for them? The whole situation is kind of shitty.

But, it won't be this way forever. Like a threat to an organism's survival, MMA will either adapt and protect itself from further incursions, or it will die when it fails to evolve.

2. BreakingBad Blue Belt

I don't know if there is a demand for the UFC "minor leagues", so to speak. I suspect that there would be a lot of lousy fights, and it would hurt the organization and the sport in the end, just like the (sometimes) disgraceful TUF bouts. I Know a couple of boxing fans who were introduced to MMA via the TUF fights, and they think the sport is a total joke now.

3. TheGOD Purple Belt

The UFC already has enough fighters to do a Challengers series seeing as how they have a larger fighter roster than SF did and SF was able to do one, oh yeah, plus they have SF itself.

I think most poeple calling for a feeder system lean on one enormous assumption....that such a system would actually be profitable. Why not just let the regional circuit do what the regional circuit does? Let them sort through the thousands upon thousands of amateur fighters. When the cream rises to the top, the UFC can poach them at that time. Now if a profit motive does somehow become possible (perhaps you want to showcase these guys, testing their marketability, before actually giving them a contract), it would probably just be easier and cheaper for the UFC/FOX Networks to just televise the regional shows themselves. That way there's no overhead for the UFC. They don't have to pay the venue, fighters, judges, refs, cage setup, etc.

4. tdluxon Red Belt

This... I'm not really seeing any need for a feeder league. They already have TUF as well as undercards and free cards on several channels, they don't need more. If they were really having a problem with this they could just start doing more free cards.

5. Evangelion Gold Belt

thank you, people already bitch about watered down cards and too many fight cards. Having a feeder league would only make it worse and many casuals wouldn't distinguish between the feeder cards and regular cards.

I don't see anyway this doesn't lead to disgruntled fans, the Ufc losing tons of money and to people thinking the brand is even more watered down.

Plus there just isn't that much upside. The people who propose a feeder league are never able to counter these viewpoints or offer strong reasons that it would make sense.

6. Reaper Man Brown Belt

I didn't realize there was a problem in need of a solution...

7. Unbreakabull Brown Belt

They do, it's called wrestling, kickboxing and bjj tournaments

8. Unbreakabull Brown Belt

I would like to see the guys in some of the more crowded weight divisions that are outside the top ten compete in some Grand Prix's on Fuel though. I'm down for sumpin like dat

9. BigDaddy15 White Belt

I've always wanted to see something like this. They could use it to put the lower weight classes in the spotlight as well.