When fighters have clearly ducked another fighter?

man with shorter reach and leg lazy. supposedly looked easy fight and A.J had been predicted as winner and Ruiz as total underdog before first fight vs A.J.
Not doubting that, but he wasn’t the smaller man.

It was pretty gutsy to fight Charles Brewer with like, 12 fights to your name, even if it was in his hometown. Brewer, Tate, James Butler, Anthony Mundine, Byron Mitchell, Sylvio Branco, Glen Johnson, Robin Reid...Ottke fought tough guys. I think the main knock is he fought them strictly in his hometown
Ottke was strictly hometown fighter, yes.

Not doubting that, but he wasn’t the smaller man.
If you mean weight, then yeah, he was even " larger " than A.J.
If about boxing, rematch showed how might be used reach and footwork advantage and gameplan to outbox not go to attempt achieve stoppage.
Ruiz is very risky opponent if you wish to KO him.
If just outbox, looks it is safer and works with a glance.

It was pretty gutsy to fight Charles Brewer with like, 12 fights to your name, even if it was in his hometown. Brewer, Tate, James Butler, Anthony Mundine, Byron Mitchell, Sylvio Branco, Glen Johnson, Robin Reid...Ottke fought tough guys. I think the main knock is he fought them strictly in his hometown and may have gotten some gift decisions he didn't really deserve. I personally think Brewer should be at least 1-1 with him, but other than that, he deserved the wins over Tate, unless you think that the cut was caused by a punch as well as most of the others as far as I can recall. I could easily believe that there are some that shouldn't have gone his way though. I sure didn't think either Brewer fight was rightfully his, though the second one was more debatable.

ottke vs robin Reid is the worst officiated fight I’ve ever seen. I think the ref might have been ottke’s dad. This is my issue with otkke fights

ottke vs robin Reid is the worst officiated fight I’ve ever seen. I think the ref might have been ottke’s dad. This is my issue with otkke fights
Totally understand that. Ottke's opposition level wasn't soft, but he definitely received favoritism from referees and judges. The referee let him get a way with a lot against Charles Brewer, but Ottke still showed heart in those fights. Because Brewer beat the crap out of him, especially the first time, and Ottke kept coming.

So I see him as a mixed bag, myself.

Totally understand that. Ottke's opposition level wasn't soft, but he definitely received favoritism from referees and judges. The referee let him get a way with a lot against Charles Brewer, but Ottke still showed heart in those fights. Because Brewer beat the crap out of him, especially the first time, and Ottke kept coming.

So I see him as a mixed bag, myself.

Yeah I don’t disagree. My issue was ‘how’ biased officials seemed to be. You had to knock him out to beat him. Even then I’m sure they’d have found a way to dq his opponent.

Yeah I don’t disagree. My issue was ‘how’ biased officials seemed to be. You had to knock him out to beat him. Even then I’m sure they’d have found a way to dq his opponent.
Absolutely. It is too bad, I think he might have some fans if he'd followed a more normal career trajectory. He had skills and guts, but those traits are overshadowed by the gross favoritism he enjoyed.

Absolutely. It is too bad, I think he might have some fans if he'd followed a more normal career trajectory. He had skills and guts, but those traits are overshadowed by the gross favoritism he enjoyed.

tough as old boots as well definitely helped. I didn’t realise he retired unbeaten.

Felix Sturm avoided Golovkin when he was his mandatory (and still in his physical prime).

If that's where it ended maybe but then he went onto fight Vargas. Surely a match with Loma at Garcia's natural weight where he would have been the bigger man would have been more attractive? Or Garcia could have easily have beat Loma at LW first then gone up on his suicide mission to fight Spence. Or maybe it wouldn't have helped his cause if he got beaten by Loma. As I said most people on here now seem to accept that Mikey ducked Loma. I remember when I first called it I was mocked but then lots of people came around to the idea when he elected not to come back down. I know one thing, Garcia is probably kicking himself for not taking the Loma fight after what Teo managed to pull off.

I don't think Garcia was ever going to get down to 135 again once he had gone up to fight Spence. People can consider it a duck if they want, but I don't think most would really fault Garcia for taking the path he took considering he fought a far more dangerous opponent than Lomachenko, got paid more, and didn't have to work with Arum (perhaps the biggest piece in all of this). It's unfortunate for Lomachenko, as Garcia would have been the biggest fight for him by far, but that's how things play out sometimes.

I always though that Lennox ducked Byrd.... that fight should have happened many times, but Lennox always made the excuse that it wasn't marketable.... I think the real reason was he knew that a light-footed fast guy was his kryptonite.

I always though that Lennox ducked Byrd.... that fight should have happened many times, but Lennox always made the excuse that it wasn't marketable.... I think the real reason was he knew that a light-footed fast guy was his kryptonite.
It is interesting that he never made that fight. You might be right.

Most stories about ducking are exaggerated. Fighters don’t mind fighting, that’s what they do provided the payday is good enough.

Bowe literally threw his WBC belt in a dumpster to avoid fighting Lewis. This has to count.
First one that came to mind. Bowe was an odd cat

Back