When does it stop being "hype"?

Dman4Life8017

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
My question is simple. Because there are many many many many many threads out there about "x fighter going to be the next have his hype train de-rail". So my question is this....When does it stop being "hype"? Because a lot of fighters supposedly on the "hype train", are already highly successful fighters. People like Jon Jones[current champion w/ 4 successful defenses], Jose Aldo[current champion], Junior Dos Santos[Former Champion], Cain Valesquez[2x Champion]. Can it be hype if you're already successful? Hype to me, means someone who is unproven, or who is getting a lot of attention despite not having accomplished anything, or very little.

In Sherdog only when you have the belt and defend more then 3 times

For me, when they win a belt in a major org.

When there's a belt around their waist, according to Sherdog.

Edit: Beat me to it.

Never, to be honest. When Fedor lost for the first time after 10 YEARS and a 30 fight unbeaten streak people just said "Oh, I knew he was always just hype."
Junior loses for the first time in his UFC run and they immediately say that he's hype and has been exposed.
MMA fans are just a disgusting species.

When they lose

usually never.

People only cite hype for fighters they don't like, and for some reason most people can't admit a fighter's good unless it's a fighter they like.

Said fighter winning only makes this worse. See Jones. See Brock before Carwin.

When your name is Jon Jones. Then, and only then.

Real world:

When they beat a gatekeeper and prove they are legit top 10.

Sherdog:

When they retire undefeated without ever being put into any sort of danger. Or... if they're Hulk Hogan or any other "fighter" who'll never lose. WWE is the standard.

Never on sherdog its always hype....no matter how many people you beat.

Real world:

When they beat a gatekeeper and prove they are legit top 10.

Sherdog:

When they retire undefeated without ever being put into any sort of danger. Or... if they're Hulk Hogan or any other "fighter" who'll never lose. WWE is the standard.

You serious brah? If they retire undefeated it's because they were scared of losing to the next contender.

If you have the right look and personality, your hype will never end.

UFC fans tend to root more for personalities and fighters who look the way they want a fighter to look.

The UFC fan base is unique in that actual performance isn't all that important to most fans.

It never stops being hype until they lose, that's the trick. The hype never stops, it just keeps growing. It's like how they say the horizon is always beyond your reach no matter how much closer you get to it; no matter how much they accomplish, the hype's always gonna get bigger and bigger until they lose and people can say how they were overrated cuz' they didn't live up to the hype.

depends on what they are being hyped to be, if they are supposedly going to be champion and they never become champion then that was all hype. but usly when i use the term "hype" im referring to an unproven fighter that has only 1-2 good wins.

My question is simple. Because there are many many many many many threads out there about "x fighter going to be the next have his hype train de-rail". So my question is this....When does it stop being "hype"? Because a lot of fighters supposedly on the "hype train", are already highly successful fighters. People like Jon Jones[current champion w/ 4 successful defenses], Jose Aldo[current champion], Junior Dos Santos[Former Champion], Cain Valesquez[2x Champion]. Can it be hype if you're already successful? Hype to me, means someone who is unproven, or who is getting a lot of attention despite not having accomplished anything, or very little.

Not only because you are a champ means you are not hyped.
Lesnar is a prime example of Hype-train even though he was a champ with successful title defenses.

But I would say that, in order to not be hype, a fighter needs to be tested.

take Tim Boetsch.
he beat Okami. but he was losing badly before that.
Then he beat Hector in an odd fight where Hecotr claimed he was injured, etc.
IMO he needed one more fight against a good fighter to prove to me he belonged among the top.

but it has to be two-sided.
For instance, i discount the fact he injured himself against Philippou. So I'll wait for the next fight to show me if there's something to it or it was just luck/hype that got him into top 5 of the division....

Same for Jones.
Now, I don't consider him hype. But I am still waiting for someone to crack his puzzle and make him fight through adversity. If he can beat someone that can neutralize his range/gameplan and forces him to "just fight", I'll jump the bandwaggon (so to speak).

note: I am not saying he is not an elite fighter. That he proved. The above are my feelings toward considering him GOAT or among the greats (for those tho cringes when GOAT is mentioned) :)

3 top ten wins in a row depending on the result..? I dunno, so subjective.

Back