When do you consider a fighter big? Large? Able to talk crap to WWE giants? Conor too small?

1) Hendricks is a most extreme example and is a staple to use because he is the ONLY welterweight other than Anthony JoHanson I have ever heard of or known to get that fucking heavy and fat. But keep in mind the bulk of fighters in that division and in the top 10 and the former champs are in the 5'9 to 5'11 range.

2) I consider taller than 6'0ft to be tall. Cruz is not tall and while taller than average for his division he still largely falls at the upper end of average (sort of). And with that said Cruz is not the tallest BW outhere. Conor is upper end range in height for his division but he is not a + 6 footer. The vast majority of mankind would not consider a barely 5'9 fighter to be tall.

3) As I and others have talked about (including someone like Rogan). The +6ft guys at the lower weight classes often get muscled around and manhandled by the shorter and more muscular and stout fighters. In order for these taller fighters (like Condit) or Kendall Grove, etc to be of comparable strength or stronger than these shorter fighters they would need to gain significant mass/muscle and strength. However, I'm doing that they would become way too heavy for their current weight class. And would have to move up a weight class or possibly two.

The UFC and Worldwide MMA is filled with way too many examples of this. It isn't some conspiracy or just weird coincidence after another. There is a logical explanation for why there really aren't +6ft tall guys dominating in the lower weight classes atomweight, flyweight, bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, and even welterweight.

A healthy in shape +6'1 fighter should weigh more than 180 lbs because if he doesn't then he is really skinny and is likely to be manhandled.

4) Rockhold is actually not that exceptionally tall for his division. He is 6'3 and the vast vast majority of the division is 6ft or taller.

5) Jones is 6'4 which isn't that absurd for LHW. It is not like Jones is 6'9 or something.

6) Joanna would be at flyweight (125lbs) if the division existed. And most likely the SW champ wuld be someone shorter. Still though Joanna isn't that tall. And wouldnt be considered tall for a female.
Ok. If your argument is that people 6 feet and taller won't dominate 145lbs and under, then you're right. Then again, that's obvious since most people 6 feet and taller can't make 135. I'm not really sure why you're even talking about that. It's not exactly breaking news.

And yes, of course there are generally optimal heights for weight classes. There are generally optimal heights for all sports. Again, not breaking news.

Hornswoggle.gif

Ummm, you have terrible reading comprehension errors. The thread isn't asking if Conor can beat these big guys. It is asking how big one has to be to credibly call them out. So I posted a video of a 150 lb black belt that beat a 230 lb body builder. This proves that a 150 lb guy can beat a much much larger man. Yes he needs to know some shit, like be an expert at BJJ.

No one is arguing that you average 150 lb Joe can whoop any muscle freak. But an exceptionally talented martial artist can beat a guy with no experience other than lifting weights and doing stunt fighting.

You should check your own reading comprehension...... I was replying to someone who posted a video about Kaoklai beating bigger guys in K-1 and you replied with :

"There is a big difference between fighting a pro wrestler with a strong collegiate career in wrestling and a prowrestlers who is basically just a body builder. Conor can't beat the former, but he'd easily defeat the latter. The Gracies proved that."

Which actually had nothing to do with anything I said, seeing how we were talking about Kaoklai and Conor... not an 8th degree coral belt in BJJ.

Conor fans thinking he would beat the WWE roster are delusional.
As soon as any of the upper echelon ( sizewise ) roided wrestlers would grab him it would be over...especially in a cage..
Those guys are freaking monsters and juiced to the gills...
Weight classes existe for a reason.
He would most likely beat up the smaller guys like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk but monsters like Ryback Jack Swagger or Roman Reigns ?

As far as Kaoklai goes he is already way bigger than Conor ( 5'11 and 185lbs ) and size difference isn't as big of a factor when you can't grapple/grab your opponent ( speed advantage being maximized by the rules )

depends on the fighter/ wwe star. if they have an amateur wrestling background like Brock,dolph, or angle they r dangerous- so MW up probably, anyone else is fair game- DJ could take out the miz no doubt about it

Why would a professional fighter talk crap to WWE superstars?

Other than being obviously insecure.

It's like insecure fighters talking shit about boxers because they can beat them in a fight but gayer.
Gayer than Gay Jesus.

6' and +205lbs, basically LHW and up, not every WWE guy is a +300lbs monster, and even then, MW might be strong or fast enough to work his way, and also packs decent power too.

Ok. If your argument is that people 6 feet and taller won't dominate 145lbs and under, then you're right. Then again, that's obvious since most people 6 feet and taller can't make 135. I'm not really sure why you're even talking about that. It's not exactly breaking news.

And yes, of course there are generally optimal heights for weight classes. There are generally optimal heights for all sports. Again, not breaking news.

I went further though I don't think they will dominate atomweight, flyweight, bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight anytime soon. A few 6'0 guy may do well at WW. Wonderboy is a good example of a 6'0 flat guy who is very strong for his size and weight. But Condit who is 6'2 and Neil magnet who is 6'3 are really natural MW's and are very very skinny and not muscular fighters.

Strength is of huge importance when skill levels are close and when weight is close. There is abuse difference between a 190lbs 6'3 welterweight and a 5'10, 190lbs welterweight.

Bob Sapp was a Freak athlete. The average NFL defensive lineman is 6'3 weighs a flabby 295 Lbs and runs a 40 yard dash in 5.1 secounds. Bob sapp was 320 lean in the NFL and could run a 40 yard dash in 4.9 seconds, bench press 600 pounds and deadlift 800 . When he fought Ernesto(who weighs 220), he weighed in at nearly 350 while still lean, that's a huge amount of weight to give up(Conor would be giving up 85 pounds against the Rock). Also, Sapp cheated in that fight without any punishment from the Ref. While Sapp appears to be unskilled in comparison to other fighters, he had MMA/kickboxing experience that neither the Rock nor any WWE guys had except for Lesnar. Sapp later went on to lose many fights against unnamed fighters half his size.

You forgot the part where Bob Sapp also piledrived and pounded the shit out of the best HW in MMA for 2 rounds and he didnt start losing to little guys until 2009, which is 7+ years after the Nog/Hoost fights.

You forgot the part where Bob Sapp also piledrived and pounded the shit out of the best HW in MMA for 2 rounds and he didnt start losing to little guys until 2009, which is 7+ years after the Nog/Hoost fights.
I was more talking about the difference between sapp and Rock but its not like he beat nog, he did well at first but lost in the end. And turtling sapp> any NFL,NBA,NHL or WWE guy except for Lesnar.

Last edited:
I went further though I don't think they will dominate atomweight, flyweight, bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight anytime soon. A few 6'0 guy may do well at WW. Wonderboy is a good example of a 6'0 flat guy who is very strong for his size and weight. But Condit who is 6'2 and Neil magnet who is 6'3 are really natural MW's and are very very skinny and not muscular fighters.

Strength is of huge importance when skill levels are close and when weight is close. There is abuse difference between a 190lbs 6'3 welterweight and a 5'10, 190lbs welterweight.
You can't conveniently just say that Condit and Magny are "natural MW's" simply because they don't fit your argument.

Like I said, it's obvious that there are ideal heights for certain divisions, just as there are ideal heights for all sports. And again, it's obvious that guys over 6 feet won't dominate lighter divisions.

But your premise is flawed. You are way overrating strength. For example, you're using WW as your prime example. Well, WW has historically been dominated by wrestlers, who tend to be shorter and stockier. They're not dominating because they're stronger; they're dominating because they're better wrestlers. And strength isn't the main reason why wrestlers are generally short. It's because being shorter generally equates to more quickness and better leverage.

Being stronger helps, but it's not nearly as important as you clearly think. Skill, quickness, coordination, toughness, and cardio are all far more important than strength. Strength is very far down on the totem pole of important qualities.

If Conor where to fight a guy from the wyatt family on the streets, my money would 1000 % be on conor, I've seen a lot of big guys get eaten alive in street fights against guys with actual martial arts skills.

Tell me again about that time that Brock stood with Hunt almost all of round 2 and Hunt still did nothing.

Keep crying, the saltiness is delicious.

The threat of a takedown does wonders my boy!!

Cain, cormier and jones beat anyone irrespective of weight.

I wouldnt be surprised if guys like weidman and lawler did the same.

Connor was just planting seeds for more money , nothing more. He saw Brock punk his tiny ass and put him in his place Connor is huge star but no where near a top level mega star wrestler . UFC is small peanuts compared to fixed fights , it makes me sad but it's been true and proven since the early 1900's. Pro wrestlers have a greater audience, greater acceptance and generate more money . Until he gets into self promoting his fights , he's got to pull a rousey and promote himself to a bigger audience with greater acceptance. The interesting part to me is its seems as a realization has occurred to him , that's he is not as good as what he says or even thought he was . So throw out self promoting and putt WWE on notice you need a new way to make money because your just a great not the "GOAT"

Cain, cormier and jones beat anyone irrespective of weight.

I wouldnt be surprised if guys like weidman and lawler did the same.
I like the way u just skipped bisping
But I think you will find out everybody gets whooped sooner or later including jones ( I'm patiently waiting) and Cain .

Back