when do you bail on the kimura grip?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by machomang, Dec 23, 2016.

1. machomang

machomang Blue Belt

I love the kimura grip/submission. My game was and is still revolved around it. I try to get the grip from many different positions, but there are times when I think I should bail on it, or should I stick with it? If someone has a waist lock around you from your back, securing a kimura grip isn't a bad idea right? But when I'm in bottom half and I have the kimura grip, and I end up getting mounted, should I just bail? What are some other scenarios where having a kimura grip is futile?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

Never.

DEATH BEFORE DISMOUNT.

mattemate likes this.
  3. ChumsGum

ChumsGum Yellow Belt

Never!!!

Seriously though, if you try to kimura a kimura player from bottom half guard, you will get kimura'd.

beeran1 and Vitamin C like this.
  4. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Ride it out until you feel like you're going to get your back taken. You can actually still armbar from there if your grip is strong enough but it's tough to hit that on good guys who keep their elbows tucked. I play the kimuara grip quite a bit and there's options from almost every position. Just focus on playing as close and tight to your opponents elbow - Wrong positioning on the grip is the number one reason it fails.

5. ultimateriley-o

ultimateriley-o Lego Maniac

I moved to a new city and therefore new gym recently, and the head coach's game is very kimura heavy. I liked kimura attacks previously but after working with him, I'm finding them super effective for sweeps and back-takes now.

To answer the original question; I don't like to end up in a position when I have zero control over my opponent's hips while he has control over mine, so I personally will bail on the kimura attack if I feel I'm in danger of giving up mount or back mount.

With that said, I know some guys love to attack the kimura while back mounted and are pretty effective with it, so don't be afraid to play around with attacks from bad positions and see what happens. That's what sparring is for sometimes.

6. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Yes and no. A bottom half kimura works great in certain situations and if it's set up properly the counter is hard to do. Here's a brief video showing the super basic half guard kimura.

ChrmnMa0 and Vitamin C like this.
  7. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

Not really. Bottom player has a lot of options from the position.

Watch Alex Chambers vs Kailin Curran in the UFC for a beautifully executed kimura from half guard transition into an armbar.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  8. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

Kimura grip is great on top, n/s, side control, taking the back, but I find it pretty ineffective from the bottom of closed or half guard. I'm sure there are people that make it work but it's not for me

9. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

Thats when you use it to get your hips out, get your base under, and get the takedown/reversal. The best way to use the DWL is to advance position, particularly to a position where chance of reversal is minimal and finishing can be conducted and reconducted at your leisure, particularly if you happen to find yourself in a bad position.

For reals doe, if you've got the DWL tied up, you're already on the track to the finish line and halfway past the hard part; all thats left is close the fugin book.

Vitamin C likes this.
  10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

I've been hitting this a bunch recently

mattemate and Ryoto Machida like this.
  11. Mendoza_BJJ

Mendoza_BJJ White Belt

Love the kimura lock game as it is control, submission, and sweep depending on the situation. Plays hell with a guys mental game as well when they are always finding an arm under attack.

12. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

Same! Love it!