When discussing the greats, why doesn't anybody bring up Bas Rutten?

jjdowns

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
He had a great record. Fought the best fighters during his time. Won tournaments. Had tons of personality. Was one of the biggest names during his time. He deserves more love from the mma community, yet when we discuss the greats, I never hear Bas's name.
image.jpeg

Being great and being goat are 2 different things!

No heavyweights from before Fedor's prime get taken seriously, it seems.

You have been here almost as long as me. In my time I've seen thousands of Bas Rutten threads.

Bas Ruttens commentary, liver kick, self defense videos, pranks in pride, fight with Randlemen, fight with Frank, pancrase fights, bad knees, return to mma, what if Rutten fought Fedor, what if Rutten stayed longer with the UFC, etc etc.

As far as GOAT go, I m not sure.

Because he lost to Randleman. But he did have a pretty good record. He's a pioneer.

bas-rutten-frank-shamrock-troll.gif

One of my favorite fight moments between 2 legends.

Mainly because slap fighting.

Hall of famer/ Legend for sure.

A lot of people dont realize how well he adapted to MMA, he was one of the first legit well rounded guys.

It seems whenever someone talks about the greatest, it's always someone fighting/playing RIGHT NOW.

Most MMA fans have no sense of the sport's history.

bas-rutten-frank-shamrock-troll.gif

One of my favorite fight moments between 2 legends.
My friend was Frank Shamrock's personal assistant. Which is funny, because she's kinda of a nerdy type, not into sports at all type. Anyways, for a wedding gift, we got a hand written personal message from Frank, wishing us a happy marriage. It was kind of awesome. We have it framed and hanging in a small hallway by a bathroom. When we have guest use the bathroom, they always come back from the bathroom and say,"dude, you're friends with Frank Shamrock". Haha

Last edited:
My friend was Frank Shamrocks personal assistant. Which is funny, because she's kinda of a nerdy type, not into sports at all type. Anyways, for a wedding gift, we got a hand written personal message from Frank, wishing us a happy marriage. It was kind of awesome.
haha, that is awesome. I'm sure she's got some stories to tell.

Bas is so legendary there´s no need to talk about him. Everyone knows it, he´s numero uno.

Bas said Fedor was better then him
While I would love to see that fight, that's another reason Bas was great; for being such a bad ass, he's kind of humble, modest, doesn't mind looking the fool, and is kinda of a clown for our entertainment.

Back