When did you become passionate about MMA?

barillas

🔥CHAMA Belt🔥
@Brown
Reaction score
Hello fellow sherdoggers.
Well, I expect most ppl outta here to really like MMA, even with all the bullshit that are used to happen, all the hypocrisy that we keep being fed by the UFC, all the fake hype they try to fed us. There are moments when we really get what our minds are seeking, a clean shot, bullseye! We get addicted to it.
Tell it here when was the moment MMA blew your mind.
I'm not an old school MMA fan, but it really hit me when I saw Andy front kicking Belfort to hell

All started because of the first season of TUF for me.

But didn't become my #1 followed sport until 07 ish though. (Basically after UFC 76)

All started because of the first season of TUF for me.

But didn't get really into watching it hardcore until 07 (Basically after UFC 76)

So, was there never a "peak", "that moment"?

Started to follow around 2000, but I've seen some Vovchanchyn fights earlier and became a fan.

It hit me when i saw a YT video of Anderson Silva beating Forrest Griffin up. Before that my only exposure to MMA was Brock Lesnar and Kimbo, so i took the whole sport as a joke because i remembered Lesnar from when i watched WWE as a kid so i figured, weeelll if a pro wrestler can become a UFC champion than this whole sport is a joke (mind you i was 11 or 12 back when Lesnar was the champ).
That all changed when i saw AS totally demolish a former champ in a heavier weightclass in Griffin (I only picked that up from the youtube comments though, i had no clue who both of them were lol). From that moment i became an mma fan and i joined Sherdog 6 months after that.

My initial exposure to MMA was actually a Pride critical countdown 2004 DVD, but i was a kid and thought it was Pro wrestling. I only watched Rampage vs Arona and Rampage became one of my fav. pro wrestlers LOL.

Last edited:
Pretty much right after renting UFC 2 or 1 VHS tape from Blockbuster Video back in the 90's.

mate told me to look up fedor, ended up buying pride box sets, then slowly reverted back to being a casual fan

cos u know, ufc is dying and stuff

When my friend showed me some bald pudgy Hawaiian bout to some farmboy for a title.

My friend ordered Ken Shamrock vs Tito on PPV and invited friends over to watch. I remember all the grappling terminology was really intriguing and I wanted to understand it, so I watched more. I realized that fighting could be realllly technical and that made it all the more intriguing. I hae been hooked ever since.

My brother watched Royce back in the day and started taking jiu jitsu classes shortly after... he would then proceed to come home and use my own shirt to choke the shit out of me and then fold me into pretzels. I grew a strong hatred for this Royce guy and became a fan after Matt Hughes pummeled him.

The first I remember hearing about it was at karate class from my friends who said that one of our mutual friends' dad fought in the cage and they said he was the best fighter. Lol

So, I asked my friend about it and he showed me bootleg VHS tapes of Pride 21 and UFC 37.5. And he also talked about an unstoppable submission guy named Royce Gracie.

Then I asked my karate instructor if he knew about Royce and he said that Royce got beat by some Japanese guy. So we went home and illegally downloaded that fight.

This was all back in 2003. Long story short, it was a long sequence of things that made me passionate about it - if I'm even passionate at all...

I think it was when I watched Anderson vs Forrest. I liked it before, but that was just magic.

for me it was Hendo vs. Rampage. It was on free TV because I think it was in London or something. A lot of people at work talked about MMA but I'd never seen it. Threw it on and liked it immediately. My love for the sport grew mostly because a lot of people that I knew liked it and we could talk about it all the time. Unfortunately it's not really a social sport anymore.

My old Bass player Introduced me to it first fight ever was BJ vs GSP II. Watching events at BDubs and all. But what really got me into was the WEC. It was free on the VS channel and it was on practically half the times I would look for it. I became pretty big Faber and Aldo fans around that time - to this day, the only 2 articles of MMA apparel I've bought were sponsering them. Aldo's flying knee of Swanson is what I'd say was 'the moment' I became passionate about it -it just blew up for me. I have seen most of all the events, WEC and UFC, since then - plus some strikeforce, invicta and bigger bellator events. Ever since I kearned how to view prelims, I started showing up to BDubs early. I got fight pass within days of the release. Most of the scarce time I do spend online has been on sherdog since then, too. I love watching MMA and hate the 'it's dying because there are no more stars' people - it's about skills sets vs skill sets, and I don't need names or personality attached to enjoy it (though it definitely helps sometimes).

Got into it seriously last year. Saw Gustafsson/Jones in 2013 but didn't get serious about watching until Cat Vs. Nunes and McGregor vs. Poirier. The Ultimate Fighter 19 sealed the deal for me. That and 14.

i was a casual fan until UFC79 from that point on I've seen 95% of the cards

I remember watching an old ass UFC way back when on an unlocked cable box (who remembers those?)

Then it went illegal, and once TUF #1 came was right back on board

Back