When Did The '90's era' died?

Indie rock slowly morphed into adult alternative, IMO.

Kids don't seem to be listening to indie rock proper anymore, but 30-somethings are for sure.
<{outtahere}>

They damn sure aren’t listening to “adult alternative” Indie rock made a massive comeback in the late ‘10s

I always say there was a sweet spot before the second plane hit where we still had hope in our hearts.

<{outtahere}>

They damn sure aren’t listening to “adult alternative” Indie rock made a massive comeback in the late ‘10s

And it's all played on the same stations, the two are one and the same. The only places playing proper indie rock are the college radio stations. But it's mixed in with what was once indie rock but has morphed into and become adult alternative.

12 o’clock on the 1st of January 2000

<WhatIsThis>

On the 1st of january 2000.

January 1st, 2000

l@nd0
giphy-downsized-large.gif

September 11th ended the 90s i.m.o.

The innocence sorta died and we were in the Iraq war, unpleasant airport, age.

Also, people seemed a little more reverent to Presidents before the Bush era, but idunno if that just has to do with more access to the internet and social media platforms.

Last edited:
Dont know when it deaded but PLEASE COME BACK I can no longer the the soy boy, pol correct, oversensitive, coddle everyone era we are in. An would GLADLY re live the 90s ... that was 17 to 27 for me my prime years.

The 80s and 90s have been coming back man.

Kids are wearing high waist mom jeans all of a sudden because it's all the rage on tiktok.

After years of skinny jeans being fashionable we may see a full reboot of JNCO jeans.

I saw a lot of chicks wearing mom jeans and mom-jean shorts when I was in Quebec last year. A lot of them dressed in that punk, hipster, look.

The girls today have much better asses so they made it look better than say an Aunt Becky.

And it's all played on the same stations, the two are one and the same. The only places playing proper indie rock are the college radio stations. But it's mixed in with what was once indie rock but has morphed into and become adult alternative.
“Adult alternative” is a really specific & outdated genre, IMO. That term makes me think of Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morrisette, Fastball, Norah Jones, etc. It’s the folkish stylings of singer/songwriters like Tracy Chapman with the bubblegum pop writing of bands like Third Eye Blind. Indie rock has endured all of that and still exists.

For the record, kids these days could care less about what’s on the radio. They all have Spotify.

“Adult alternative” is a really specific & outdated genre, IMO. That term makes me think of Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morrisette, Fastball, Norah Jones, etc. It’s the folkish stylings of singer/songwriters like Tracy Chapman with the bubblegum pop writing of bands like Third Eye Blind. Indie rock has endured all of that and still exists.

For the record, kids these days could care less about what’s on the radio. They all have Spotify.

I hear ya. You aren't wrong with those artists.

But also being billed as adult alternative these days are:

Wilco
Imagine Dragons
The Black Keys
Michael Kiwanuka
Foxygen
Iron & Wine
Death Cab for Cutie
Jim James/My Morning Jacket

Etc.

Seems to be a mish-mash genre.

I would say 90's pop culture started to wane during the year 2000 but as others have said after 9/11. I remember some pop culture from the nineties carried over
To the 2000s, such as nu metal and guys spiking their hair. It seemed to me that the year 2000s had a slightly more optimistic mood before 9-11. I remember
The late 90's seemed to have a nihilistic ,
Pessimistic mood .

I always say there was a sweet spot before the second plane hit where we still had hope in our hearts.
It really is such a gut punch to go back and watch the old news footage and how everyone is reporting the first plane as an accident and speculating how this could happen then the second plane hits and you just feel the harrowing realization. I think you’re on to something here.

Probably died around 2014ish...thats when things started getting really, really gay and all the coolness from the 90s just couldn't survive all the gay and died out.

The grunge era started dying after Kurt offed himself and was officially over by the end of 95.

When Sega and WCW both went out of business. By far the worst days in 2001.

Back