When did standing elbows become so popular in MMA?

Since:
2wmqhx5.gif

it seems Muay thai has become a necessary part of most fighters training these days,
its the ideal standup base that translates well to mma

my question is why Thais seem to be so immune to taking damage from elbows...seems like they dont cut as easy:

It's really tough to defend a strike when the timing and angle are different from what you expected.

Standing elbows just remind me of Urijah Faber vs Mike Brown where Urijah broke his hands early on and just tried to throw elbows at Brown

I remember that fight. Was my first Wec viewing.

People see that they work, and want to incorporate them into their own style. Anderson was not the first, but was easily the most dangerous with them. I think they are a great tool, and when mixed with punches, can add more confusion to your opponent. I'm enjoying the new trend.

Honestly, the rise in popularity IMO to Ivan Menjivar's standing elbow knockdown of Valencia. Since then I've seen a TON of these standing elbows. And not talking spinning elbows. These forward throwing elbows like Miller's on Lauzon and Rory's on Penn, got

Standing elbows just remind me of Urijah Faber vs Mike Brown where Urijah broke his hands early on and just tried to throw elbows at Brown

Even more reason to learn and practice them more. Faber could have acted like Tim Boetch, but stuck around and continued to fight. Props to Faber for that.

Josh Neer vs Keith Wisniewski was pretty fun to watch, pretty sure Neer threw more elbows than he did punches, it was like his hands were broken or something

8.gif

4.1_medium.gif

4.gif

Wisniewski_display_image.jpg

They've been around for a while. See Ted Williams vs Steve Judson at UFC 24. Brutal standing elbow KO!

Honestly, the rise in popularity IMO to Ivan Menjivar's standing elbow knockdown of Valencia. Since then I've seen a TON of these standing elbows. And not talking spinning elbows. These forward throwing elbows like Miller's on Lauzon and Rory's on Penn, got

Back