1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

When did OT jump the shark?

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Excelsior, Aug 13, 2003.

1. White Snake Gold Belt

Is Sherdog still the MMA site with the most active off topic discussion?

2. lsg Gold Belt

From my perspective, it started going down when these new "rules" started being enforced. You know, the rules that were made one day without warning. OT has ALWAYS been a hostile, racist, opinionated, make fun of anything and everything kind of place. There was no PC police...the people who were here last summer or before molded OT into what it was. Newbs were bashed, the mods/admin were still part of OT and not "the enemy" and bashed right a long with us. No one was impervious to a sound lashing and it was always taken with humor and a good ribbing.
    We have here a forum full of mostly young men with way too much testosterone brewing. Trying to put a muzzle on them is ludicrous and causes said males to lash out against authority. No one wants to be stiffled especially in a place where you could once say anything you pleased.
    I am 100% against bannings. I would much rather just see them banished to the conditioning forum for a month or publicly flogged in newbietown.
    You newer guys never knew the old OT. You rag on the vets for stirring shit up, but if it weren't for these outspoken , sometimes brash vets, who are not afraid to push the system to the limits, Sherdog OT would not be nearly as popular as it is.
    So until some of you new guys are willing to step up and keep OT from becoming a flame free PC environment, don't even compare yourselves in the same light.

3. TJ Combo Stupid and proud of it.

I second that!

Although there are more orange, blue and green belts straying around than ever they just don't of the quality of these guys.

4. TJ Combo Stupid and proud of it.

That's a good summing!

Can anyone explain me why these new rules were made?

5. bo9 Guest

my 2 cents.

i like the theory about the villians being banned, thus posters are forced to vent anger and percieved dominance in other "less rule abiding ways".

i can also see lsg's point, nobody likes "the man telling them what to do", thus a citizen revolt.

and i can also see the admin's position of "oh, shit...we are starting to get noticed by the outside world, and we have no control"..thus the increase in bannings.

the bottom line, in my opinion, is that some of the posters thought by joining forces they could impose thier collective will upon the admin and/or the general ot population....they seem to be failing on both counts.

those who considered themselves "rebels" and "ot leaders", have proved themselves to be little more than sheep following a goat to the slaughter house.

6. shidokanartist De-Comp-Poser

Just when I thought my E-love for you had reached its zenith, you go and tug my heartstrings just a little harder. Once again I am all a tither and glowing a warm fuzzy kinda feeling. Can I be your little bitch?

7. FATSEXY Black Belt

I agree with Money being banned. He was the greatest poster in Sherdog history (besides Meat Fist, of course).

8. lsg Gold Belt

Seeing that I hold the leash that is attached to your spiked leather collar, you will be whatever I tell you to be.

9. shidokanartist De-Comp-Poser

YES MAM!

10. VOD Guest

At least when I was mod, I was able to delete all of the stupid post whoring and keep the newbies in check. After I got thrown down, the newbs started to take over. Then the vets were getting frustrated. Then the new rules were arising. The vets were getting more frustrated. I don't think it was any one thing. Just evolution happening at a faster pace than most are used to.

11. Fredricks Can't Be Bothered

I was wrong! LSG has shown us the way

12. K++s Silver Belt

Interesting... True. There definintely needs to be more active OT mods in here besides the poping in... a couple quick dubs or bans and out again... It's a little too "strike force"... What you need is the benevolent dictator that you know is always around...

Just one question though on your evolution thing: Do you see this as a good thing or a bad thing or just a thing?

Just curious...

13. Gunhead Green Belt

Drop the cosmetics please, this was a truly disgusting place. In fact it was a fucking Al Kaida camp with all these little e-terrorists creeping into the non-OT forums and poisoning, flooding the threads with their OT-based shit/hate talking. Stepping on someone toes (like the owner of this site, and some pro fighters) was inviteable. But you guys were obviously too dumb to see that coming, hahaha...

So let me laugh at you, because nor the mods or newbs, but the very "vets" caused OT's downfall.

So evolve, get banned, or die!

14. amazarray(bjj) And Remember \/

??? Bitch Shut the fuck up!!!!

15. K++s Silver Belt

Dude. No offense but you've been around for like 3 months. lsg is talking way before then...

Oh and if you come back with a "i was banned and i'm really a vet" than you know exactly what she is talking about because you were part of the game so you're really in position to talk.

16. White Snake Gold Belt

Maybe RCCOLA is OT's savior

17. lsg Gold Belt

Sounds like a forum nirvana to me.

18. TJ Combo Stupid and proud of it.

STUF Noob!

19. shidokanartist De-Comp-Poser

Hey! I have an Idea. Sip my runny, lumpy, tepid diarhea through a bendable straw and choke on it, preferably to termination.

20. Sambo Guest

We all know the recent PC hysteria was what did OT in, But thats not really jumping the shark. OT's fall from grace started way back last year.