When Cerrone recovers he should fight Islam

Martialbeef

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Does anyone see this as a pretty reasonable match up that makes sense? Maybe the time lines don't really line up though.

I just think Donald is a big name for Islam to get a (relatively) easy win against. Even though Donald has really good grappling and better striking than Islam so its not a handout at the same time. He is just washed but the skill set is there.

Even if not this I want to see Islam fight soon.

If we get the Cowboy that showed up against Al, then I'm down

FHk0YLZ.gif

put on your kid gloves

I am sleepy and I first thought that the headline read as follows: “When Cerrone recovers he should convert to Islam.”

That would have made headlines.

Thread title is misleading.

I questiond if cowboy had entered politics.

Cerrone did more damage to his legacy in 40 seconds of floundering than Jon Jones did to his in 7 years of bad behaviour...

If he fights well, everyone will be all "oh, he definitely took a dive" and if he sucks then people will say he always did.

There haven't been many more fitting times to retire. He's done, and he just had his red panty night... Ride off into the sunset, and don't look back... At least that's what I hope for him.

Last edited:
Islam has a lot of exciting potential matchups but the UFC keeps failing on making them

Cerrone did more damage to his legacy in 40 seconds of floundering than Jon Jones did to his in 7 years of bad behaviour...

I never want to see him fight again... If he fights well, everyone will be all "oh, he definitely took a dive" and if he sucks then people will say he always did.

There haven't been many more fitting times to retire. He's done, and he just had his red panty night... Ride off into the sunset, and don't look back...

$200K isnt exactly a red panty night for ranked fighters

I never want to see him fight again... If he fights well, everyone will be all "oh, he definitely took a dive" and if he sucks then people will say he always did.

There haven't been many more fitting times to retire. He's done, and he just had his red panty night... Ride off into the sunset, and don't look back...
Okay so he's faced the best in the division for the last three fights, and clearly wasn't on their level. Conor came out with a very technical blitz and immediately disabled Cowboy with his shoulders to the point that recovery wasn't possible. The fight was more about good Mcgregor than bad Cowboy. I'm not a Conor fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I bet your reaction is rooted in your stubborn refusal to give the guy the credit he deserves.

Who gives af what you want to see? Cowboy still beats 90% of the LWs on the roster, and if he wants to keep fighting, why is that such a problem? Should every aging fighter who isn't the top 3-4 in their division just retire because they don't meet your standards anymore?

Islam sleeps this quitter with a jab
Although I don't think he's a good match-up for Cowboy, the guy with 3 knockouts in 19 pro fights isn't sleeping Cowboy with a jab. Get off his dick.

Okay so he's faced the best in the division for the last three fights, and clearly wasn't on their level. Conor came out with a very technical blitz and immediately disabled Cowboy with his shoulders to the point that recovery wasn't possible. The fight was more about good Mcgregor than bad Cowboy. I'm not a Conor fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I bet your reaction is rooted in your stubborn refusal to give the guy the credit he deserves.

Who gives af what you want to see? Cowboy still beats 90% of the LWs on the roster, and if he wants to keep fighting, why is that such a problem? Should every aging fighter who isn't the top 3-4 in their division just retire because they don't meet your standards anymore?

It's not about my standards... I don't normally ask for guys to quit, but he couldn't pick a better time to do it.

He's in a no-win situation, and the smart thing would be to hang them up... Which he won't... But it would be the best thing for his legacy.

RDA is also on a slide, but at least he is losing via control, or in technical stand up fights. The problem with Cowboy is that he is taking a beating in just about every one of his fights.

And for a guy like him, it’s only going to get worse. Dana has no interest in having Cowboy fight guys outside the top 10. He is a name. So he’s either fighting other names or being used as a punching bag by new talent.

It's not about my standards... I don't normally ask for guys to quit, but he couldn't pick a better time to do it.

He's in a no-win situation, and the smart thing would be to hang them up... Which he won't... But it would be the best thing for his legacy.
What's a no-win situation? Continuing to do what he loves while earning a very good living? His legacy isn't tarnished because he lost to three of the most elite fighters in the game. Like I said, Cowboy recently dusted two other ranked guys before the recent skid, and there's no reason to think he couldn't have good fights with anyone ranked below him. The vast, vast majority of guys in the UFC have no realistic shot at becoming a champion. By what you've said, they should all get out too. If Cowboy starts getting his ass kicked left and right, then that's a different story, but idk how people can plead with him to quit right now based on where his head's currently at, and where he was not too long ago.

RDA is also on a slide, but at least he is losing via control, or in technical stand up fights. The problem with Cowboy is that he is taking a beating in just about every one of his fights.

And for a guy like him, it’s only going to get worse. Dana has no interest in having Cowboy fight guys outside the top 10. He is a name. So he’s either fighting other names or being used as a punching bag by new talent.
Wtf does "losing via control" mean? It's not like his past two fights were particularly close. Still, if RDA wants to continue fighting, who cares? Cowboy on the other hand had a relatively competitive fight with Ferguson, and was decisively beat by Gaethje, and Mcgregor, two guys who are bad stylistic match-ups for a less-skilled fighter who's willing to stand and trade. Before that, he kicked Perry, Hernandez, and Iaquinta's asses. The guys he lost to are on another level.

If he fights well, everyone will be all "oh, he definitely took a dive" and if he sucks then people will say he always did.

There haven't been many more fitting times to retire. He's done, and he just had his red panty night... Ride off into the sunset, and don't look back... At least that's what I hope for him.
Yup! He gains nothing for it but a paycheck

What's a no-win situation? Continuing to do what he loves while earning a very good living? His legacy isn't tarnished because he lost to three of the most elite fighters in the game. Like I said, Cowboy recently dusted two other ranked guys before the recent skid, and there's no reason to think he couldn't have good fights with anyone ranked below him. The vast, vast majority of guys in the UFC have no realistic shot at becoming a champion. By what you've said, they should all get out too. If Cowboy starts getting his ass kicked left and right, then that's a different story, but idk how people can plead with him to quit right now based on where his head's currently at, and where he was not too long ago.

I think I mentioned above - if he wins people will say he took a dive vs Connor... If he loses, people will say he always sucked.

Personally I think he did throw the fight. Thats what tarnishes his legacy... Certainly he never had any intention of winning... I have no interest in watching him ride out a gravy train at this stage...

I think this conversation is going to be pointless because we are seeing completely different things here... I don't ever get on the "he should retire" tip... I just don't ever want to see that particular fighter ever again.

Does anyone see this as a pretty reasonable match up that makes sense? Maybe the time lines don't really line up though.

I just think Donald is a big name for Islam to get a (relatively) easy win against. Even though Donald has really good grappling and better striking than Islam so its not a handout at the same time. He is just washed but the skill set is there.

Even if not this I want to see Islam fight soon.

This is NOT the fight to make.
Why do we want to see Cerrone on his back for 15 minutes?

I thought Islam was going to get kicked in the head by Fighter Kevin Lee next?

Back