When a student wins by a submission that you taught...

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
...it's a great feeling.

I can't take all the credit in the teaching. I am sure that my teammate learned the move before I taught my lesson. It just so happened that I was teaching the front choke the week before The Gracie Open. I was going over some details with my buddy and he applied what I taught in the tournament.

I kind of felt like a proud Papa...

FRONT CHOKE FTW X 2

also... Afterwards, I asked him if he felt like fuc#%ng Roger Gracie. He said, "Well, maybe with a condom..." (I made that up for dramatic effect.)

also... Afterwards, I asked him if he felt like fuc#%ng Roger Gracie. He said, "Well, maybe with a condom..." (I made that up for dramatic effect.)

YES

Also, that choke is so money. Nice job with your students.

Awesome, nice stuff. Must be a real good feeling knowing that you passed on your knowledge to someone who really took note and applied it in such a way. :D

That is very awesome.

Awesome, nice stuff. Must be a real good feeling knowing that you passed on your knowledge to someone who really took note and applied it in such a way. :D

Thanks.

There are a lot of competitors on this board and we can all relate to the awesome feeling we get when we are successful at a tournament.

The feeling is very similar when your teammate does the same. When they are successful, due in some part to your help; the feeling is that much sweeter...

Of course the real credit goes to Caio Terra and Cesar Gracie. I was just filling in for them last week...

Very nice! I love that choke, (especially since I just watched the 2008 Mundials, where Roger tapped Leite with it :18 seconds left).

On an unrelated note, I am a big Caio Terra fan as well, you're very lucky to be able to train with such high level competitors.

Congrats on your boys win, and you should be damn proud.

Congrats.

the closest I got was teaching DLR guard and one guard pass which has been the staple moves for 2 of my teamates.

yeah nice feeling, I coach very little nowadays but try ti impart some of my small judo knowledge on my bjj teammates, more like getting them to see some opportunities rahter then teaching a move

but man we have this judo kid in class, 12-13 years old(but pretty big for his age so rolling with adults isn't a big issue) and we usually have a 15 year old limit, and most of us are 18+, but this kid soaks up stuff, not that he got techniques down straight away just the fact that he goes for stuff, and he picks up on the little basic stuff which usually takes n00bs forever, most are in survival mode for a a long while in my experience, he actually tries to roll and doesn't have an ounce of spazz in him, I have caught several dudes looking at him and smiling,

great tourney. I mostly came to watch the nogi, but it was hella fucn fun and you guys did have some savages on your squad.

I'm a huge fan of Nick Diaz so it was cool seeing him there coaching his dudes.

great tourney. I mostly came to watch the nogi, but it was hella fucn fun and you guys did have some savages on your squad.

I'm a huge fan of Nick Diaz so it was cool seeing him there coaching his dudes.

I was leaving when Nick got there.

I think it was kind of small compared to years past. It was on time. The refs were pretty consistent. A few pissed off people on questionable dq's.

I think to get to premier status, we have to change things up a little. I only like to volunteer for an hour or so now. I've paid my dues over the years at this tournament. No more slave labor for me...lol...(half joking)

I am not sure if anyone competed from the UFC Gym... Maybe next year...

If I would have know Sean was getting his brown belt and competing, I would have liked to have a match against him. I'm sure I would have ended up on the wrong side of one of his highlight reels!!! It still would have been an honor.

I only like to compete a few times per year... I haven't done The Gracie Open since blue belt.

Teaching your friend and then pull it off rolling is good. This feeling must be really awesome. Congrats on your teammate.

Teaching your friend and then pull it off rolling is good. This feeling must be really awesome. Congrats on your teammate.

Thanks. Having him record it with slo mo and soundtrack was a bonus as well...:icon_chee

Only made it towards the end to see the last of the blues and the purples roll. I was actually surprised when I got there at 3 that the kids weren't still going. Last years Gracie Open was a disaster time wise. I wonder if a lot of people were down in santa cruz for Claudio Franca's tournament?

yeah nice feeling, I coach very little nowadays but try ti impart some of my small judo knowledge on my bjj teammates, more like getting them to see some opportunities rahter then teaching a move

but man we have this judo kid in class, 12-13 years old(but pretty big for his age so rolling with adults isn't a big issue) and we usually have a 15 year old limit, and most of us are 18+, but this kid soaks up stuff, not that he got techniques down straight away just the fact that he goes for stuff, and he picks up on the little basic stuff which usually takes n00bs forever, most are in survival mode for a a long while in my experience, he actually tries to roll and doesn't have an ounce of spazz in him, I have caught several dudes looking at him and smiling,

Wut? :eek:

Back