When a single takedown can determine the winner of a round...

TrueHeavyweight

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It means neither fighter did anything for the rest of the round.

Okami treatment for both.

You know its bad in the 5th round and the announcers are basically saying...next takedown wins

Maia's going home virtually unscathed from that fight.
I'm not sure what won Shields the fight, perhaps the blocked head kicks and vicious leg kicks. Besides that, he virtually had no offense, barely went For submissions, neither from top or back. He held position, and was agressive pursuing takedowns. But isn't stuffing a takedown better than failing one?

Maia's going home virtually unscathed from that fight.
I'm not sure what won Shields the fight, perhaps the blocked head kicks and vicious leg kicks. Besides that, he virtually had no offense, barely went For submissions, neither from top or back. He held position, and was agressive pursuing takedowns. But isn't stuffing a takedown better than failing one?

Nope. Judges don't score takedown defense for whatever reason they find a guy spending energy and failed a takedown(Shields gassing after round mid-round 3) is better then making a guy waste his energy, and defend his technique.

Same way they find Shield's legkicks and blocked headkicks more appealing then Maia's cleaner punches in round 5.

Nope. Judges don't score takedown defense for whatever reason they find a guy spending energy and failed a takedown(Shields gassing after round mid-round 3) is better then making a guy waste his energy, and defend his technique.

Same way they find Shield's legkicks and blocked headkicks more appealing then Maia's cleaner punches in round 5.

It's blasphemy!
Maia didn't really throw a lot of strikes, but when he actually did- he was successful!
I had the round with the reversal to maia. Sure, the reversal was nice, but shields did NOTHING ON TOP.
R 1, 3 and 5 to Maia. If I remember correctly.
It was a close fight nonetheless

Back