What's your weakest, and strongest punch!

Well, if by "weakest" you mean "hits with the least power", then I'd probably take my jab. But I don't really think of it as my weakest punch because my intention, when I throw the jab, is (usually) not to hit with a lot of power. So I'd probably go with my left uppercut as my weakest. My jab is good - not great, but good - and does what I want it to, most of the time. My left uppercut doesn't do what I want it to. Which, to me, makes the left uppercut weaker.

weakest - left upper cut
strongest - right cross

Weakest - Left uppercut
Strongest - Spinning backfist if you count it. If not, overhand right.

Edit- Also, btw, what the hell is a right hook? That is NOT a good punch, unless you're a southpaw. You should either be throwing a straight, or an overhand, but a right hook is just a loopy, wide mess of a punch that anyone with any modicum of skill is going to counter or avoid.

The right/rear hand hook is a legit punch when people know how to use it properly. The idea that you SHOULD only throw straight or overhand rights is far from the truth. Floyd Mayweather consistently scores on people with the right hook to the body by using it to go around the lead elbow. Pernell Whitaker is another fighter that made an artform of using the rear hand hook to go around an opponent's guard. Watch any old Charley Burley footage and you'll see another fighter that has mastered the rear hand hook. The rear hand hook is only a loopy wide mess when someone doesn't know how to deliver it well.

And as far as the original question

weakest - shovel hook
strongest - straight right

Strongest overhand right
Weakest jab (weakest in terms of power but thats a jabs purpose)

(I'm orthodox)
Edit- Also, btw, what the hell is a right hook? That is NOT a good punch, unless you're a southpaw. You should either be throwing a straight, or an overhand, but a right hook is just a loopy, wide mess of a punch that anyone with any modicum of skill is going to counter or avoid.

What? a right hook is a right hook! and far from a sloppy punch if thrown correctly. Truth is, overhand rights tend to be the punch that I seen thrown sloppy more often than any other punch.

A lead hook comes from the lead hand, for orth that is a lead left hook, for sp it is a lead right hook.

An overhand is exactly what it sounds like, the hook comes over the guard or from high to low and an overhand can be thrown of either the lead or rear hand.

A hook is a hook, right or left, lead or rear, still a hook. And rear hooks are thrown just like lead hooks, the hooks is thrown parallel to the shoulders by turning the shoulders and pivoting with the foot on the punching arm. And just like a lead hook, a rear hook can be thrown as a long hook (reaching or extended arm) or as a short compact hook (L bend in the arm).

A right hook is not a sloppy punch, A sloppy hook is a sloppy punch! really it is quite the opposite if thrown correctly, and most likely the most powerful shot for most fighters is a short rear hand hook, assuming they use proper technique.

Weakest - Jab, right hook
Strongest - Right Cross, Left Hook

my rear right uppercut is garbage

my left straight (and left jab in orthodox) will put you on your ass

counter left hook = game over

the right hook to the body is a nice punch.

Unless you're a southpaw, and your opponent is shelled up in the fetal position, then you gonna get countered hard throwing that punch. The right hook from orthodox is already a very wide punch, throwing it to the body is just asking to get dunked.

I would counter the living shit out of someone throwing that punch at me.

The right/rear hand hook is a legit punch when people know how to use it properly. The idea that you SHOULD only throw straight or overhand rights is far from the truth. Floyd Mayweather consistently scores on people with the right hook to the body by using it to go around the lead elbow. Pernell Whitaker is another fighter that made an artform of using the rear hand hook to go around an opponent's guard. Watch any old Charley Burley footage and you'll see another fighter that has mastered the rear hand hook. The rear hand hook is only a loopy wide mess when someone doesn't know how to deliver it well.

Guys like Pretty Boy Floyd aren't the best examples, Floyd is exceptionally athletic, and has great defensive movement. For most normal guys, a rear hook is a very short and situational punch, and as mentioned before, if you're that close then you could just be throwing an elbow. Not that it can't be used, but rather that it's really only a useful punch when you're in close and your opponent is covering up hard.
What? a right hook is a right hook! and far from a sloppy punch if thrown correctly. Truth is, overhand rights tend to be the punch that I seen thrown sloppy more often than any other punch.

A lead hook comes from the lead hand, for orth that is a lead left hook, for sp it is a lead right hook.

An overhand is exactly what it sounds like, the hook comes over the guard or from high to low and an overhand can be thrown of either the lead or rear hand.

A hook is a hook, right or left, lead or rear, still a hook. And rear hooks are thrown just like lead hooks, the hooks is thrown parallel to the shoulders by turning the shoulders and pivoting with the foot on the punching arm. And just like a lead hook, a rear hook can be thrown as a long hook (reaching or extended arm) or as a short compact hook (L bend in the arm).

A right hook is not a sloppy punch, A sloppy hook is a sloppy punch! really it is quite the opposite if thrown correctly, and most likely the most powerful shot for most fighters is a short rear hand hook, assuming they use proper technique.

Good points. That said, the right hook is still a very limited and counterable punch. most of the time you're going to be better off throwing a cross.

strongest - right hook
weakest - straight right

That said, the right hook is still a very limited and counterable punch. most of the time you're going to be better off throwing a cross.

I dont agree necessarily. Right hooks are not any easier to counter than a cross, lead hook or UC, IF THROWN CORRECTLY. A right hook is not a punch you would throw often from a neutral centerline, or squared up with your opponent (unless their just putting on earmuffs and covering), in that case i agree a cross is a better punch to use in most cases. The key to throwing right hooks with success is footwork. A right hook is a punch that is best used (my opinion) behind a pivot, off a lateral step or while circling, in short, it needs an angle!...... I.E: (assume both orth) in the pocket, jab, pivot, right hook in between the guard..... opponent slips your jab to inside, lateral step short right hook...... while advancing jab, jab, step across \ right hook body...... while opponent is circling to your right, slip jab inside, short right hook in between guard...... etc... There are many examples of how to use the right hook effectively and without any more risk of counter than any other punch. That said, it does require you to use proper footwork. Problem is, allot of guys will stand square with the opponent and throw a wide reaching right hook, that will get you KTFO!

Right hook is also a great counter punch, slip or duck cross throw right hook to the body...... Im a lanky guy with a good reach and I use the right hook pretty successfully as a counter to the cross (assuming i have the reach advantage) by just pulling or leaning back and throwing it over the opponents cross. If i catch a guy throwing his cross and dropping his left hand when he throws it (which allot of guys do) I'll bait him into the cross and just lean back and throw a long right hook right over it (over the lowered left glove).......

Weakest: Straight Right
Strongest: Right Hook (I land this punch with pretty good regularity, despit what people say about it being a bad punch to use)
Best: Jab, the king of all punches

I dont agree necessarily. Right hooks are not any easier to counter than a cross, lead hook or UC, IF THROWN CORRECTLY. A right hook is not a punch you would throw often from a neutral centerline, or squared up with your opponent (unless their just putting on earmuffs and covering), in that case i agree a cross is a better punch to use in most cases. The key to throwing right hooks with success is footwork. A right hook is a punch that is best used (my opinion) behind a pivot, off a lateral step or while circling, in short, it needs an angle!...... I.E: (assume both orth) in the pocket, jab, pivot, right hook in between the guard..... opponent slips your jab to inside, lateral step short right hook...... while advancing jab, jab, step across \ right hook body...... while opponent is circling to your right, slip jab inside, short right hook in between guard...... etc... There are many examples of how to use the right hook effectively and without any more risk of counter than any other punch. That said, it does require you to use proper footwork. Problem is, allot of guys will stand square with the opponent and throw a wide reaching right hook, that will get you KTFO!

Right hook is also a great counter punch, slip or duck cross throw right hook to the body...... Im a lanky guy with a good reach and I use the right hook pretty successfully as a counter to the cross (assuming i have the reach advantage) by just pulling or leaning back and throwing it over the opponents cross. If i catch a guy throwing his cross and dropping his left hand when he throws it (which allot of guys do) I'll bait him into the cross and just lean back and throw a long right hook right over it (over the lowered left glove).......

Exactly. Except for a haymaker, I really don't believe that there is anything that can be referred to as a bad punch. Everything has it's time and it's place. I use the right hook as a counter to the jab sometimes if I know I'm faster than a guy. Just a little parry and a short little right hook. It lands with a surprising amount of power for me for such a short punch. Since the Gokhan Saki/Freddy Kemayo fight, I've taking to throwing really fast punches to get my opponent to cover up, and then just yank his left glove down and throw a right hook

There are no bad punches, just bad punchers.

my strongest punch is probably my left hook or my straight right

my weakest, left uppercut

Originally Posted by ssullivan80

Very good descriptions. Maybe it's because i'm still a baby in training (probably around 50 hours of straight boxing training), but all my instructors have told me to never touch the right hook, that it's not even something they teach. And i've trained under guys like Gil Martinez, Ron Frazier, etc.

I've played around with it on the heavy bag, and yes it does have power, but to me it seems like the widest, slowest punch there is, and only something youd use on a shelled up opponent or someone you were footworking circles around

Back