What's your verdict on the West Memphis 3?

^ my guess is this dude did it. that dude is a turd

I mean, the hair found in the middle of the hogtie that inspired the whole "Devil's Knot" title was, by testing, found to be his. But no... those boys listened to Metallica.

I mean, the hair found in the middle of the hogtie that inspired the whole "Devil's Knot" title was, by testing, found to be his. But no... those boys listened to Metallica.

Was that information available at the time of the trial or did that only come out later?

None of that is any kind of evidence or proof, it just says what we all knew already, that Damien Echols was a weird kid.

It's certainly not proof, but as someone said earlier it is evidence of his character.

I'm not saying that that's enough to convict but it is the kind of thing that will make you stop and go, Hmmm. . .

Was that information available at the time of the trial or did that only come out later?

That's such a rabbit hole. This didn't come out until "West of Memphis," apparently -- forgive the length, but what a clusterfuckt:

"The filmmakers note that the most significant piece of DNA evidence found at the crime scene, DNA in a hair found in one of the shoelaces used to tie up the boys, matched the DNA of Terry Hobbs (as well as 1.5% of the population). A second hair found on a tree stump near where the bodies were found matched that of David Jacoby, a friend of Terry Hobbs, whom Hobbs visited roughly an hour before the boys disappeared. They also question the alibi given by Hobbs, that he spent the evening of the murders with his friend, David Jacoby. In the film, Jacoby doubts whether he spent as much time with Hobbs that night as Hobbs suggests. The filmmakers also stress that Terry Hobbs had a long history of abuse, including an admitted assault on his wife and accusations of child beating and assaults on neighbors. An aunt of Stevie Branch, Judy Sadler, accuses Hobbs in the film of forcing his young son to watch him masturbate and of sexually molesting Stevie's sister, Amanda. (Amanda, incidentally, says she cannot recall any sexual abuse by her stepfather.) They also managed to find a neighbor who claimed to have seen Hobbs with the three boys on the night of the murder, something Hobbs strongly denied. To this mix of circumstantial evidence, the filmmakers add the fact that another of Stevie's aunts, Jo Lynn McAughey, alleges she saw Terry Hobbs doing laundry the night of the murders, presumably to clean the mud off of his clothes after killing the boys in the woods, and the fact that a prized pocket knife owned by Stevie, one he almost always carried with him, was later found among Terry Hobbs's possessions. Finally, and perhaps most damningly, the filmmakers produced three young men who now claim to have been told by a nephew of Terry Hobbs that the fact that Terry killed the three boys was a closely guarded "family secret." In statements under oath, the three witnesses say that Michael Hobbs told them, "My uncle killed three boys in West Memphis."

It's certainly not proof, but as someone said earlier it is evidence of his character.

I'm not saying that that's enough to convict but it is the kind of thing that will make you stop and go, Hmmm. . .

Well Jesse and Jason were both a bit backwards, Jesse especially.
Damien was like, the most intelligent person in the whole town, it's not surprising people thought he was weird!

Yeah, the third movie really painted the hobbs dude and it sounded like that is definitely the dude
plus letting the boys out if they admit guilt so they can't sue the state or whatever, it is pretty clear the boys did not do it. You don't let child murderers just go like that unless you think they did not do it.

The satanism 'expert' in the first documentary was hilarious.

They did it and they still practice the occult to this day. Johnny Depp has a role to play in this as well. Was intending to start a thread about this awhile back but decided not to, glad you made one. Many celebrities came to guys defense Johnny Depp was one of the more vocal celebrities.

After this murder was released these two i.e. Nichols and Depp got matching satanic tattoos.

Damien-Echols-Johnny-Depp-air-iching-tattoo-WO.jpg

They both have a multitude of satanic tattoos and Echols has essentially become Depps friend since being released from prison. To add to that there is evidence to suggest that Depp may have had something to do with the murder of River Phoenix.

They did it and they still practice the occult to this day. Johnny Depp has a role to play in this as well. Was intending to start a thread about this awhile back but decided not to, glad you made one. Many celebrities came to guys defense Johnny Depp was one of the more vocal celebrities.

After this murder was released these two i.e. Nichols and Depp got matching satanic tattoos.

They both have a multitude of satanic tattoos and Echols has essentially become Depps friend since being released from prison. To add to that there is evidence to suggest that Depp may have had something to do with the murder of River Phoenix.

Lol.

It wasn't found to be his, it just could have been his (as well as 1.5% of the population).

I think that the retarded one continuously confessed (pre and post conviction), the raft Damien wasn't just a "weird kid" but actually attacked and sucked blood out of people and his constant lying means they should still be considered suspects.

The documentaries are beyond bias. Damien's alibi is complete horse shit for starters.

The thing is, even in the extremely unlikely case that they DID do it, they still should never have been convicted in a million years based on the case against them.

That's such a rabbit hole. This didn't come out until "West of Memphis," apparently -- forgive the length, but what a clusterfuckt:

"The filmmakers note that the most significant piece of DNA evidence found at the crime scene, DNA in a hair found in one of the shoelaces used to tie up the boys, matched the DNA of Terry Hobbs (as well as 1.5% of the population). A second hair found on a tree stump near where the bodies were found matched that of David Jacoby, a friend of Terry Hobbs, whom Hobbs visited roughly an hour before the boys disappeared. They also question the alibi given by Hobbs, that he spent the evening of the murders with his friend, David Jacoby. In the film, Jacoby doubts whether he spent as much time with Hobbs that night as Hobbs suggests. The filmmakers also stress that Terry Hobbs had a long history of abuse, including an admitted assault on his wife and accusations of child beating and assaults on neighbors. An aunt of Stevie Branch, Judy Sadler, accuses Hobbs in the film of forcing his young son to watch him masturbate and of sexually molesting Stevie's sister, Amanda. (Amanda, incidentally, says she cannot recall any sexual abuse by her stepfather.) They also managed to find a neighbor who claimed to have seen Hobbs with the three boys on the night of the murder, something Hobbs strongly denied. To this mix of circumstantial evidence, the filmmakers add the fact that another of Stevie's aunts, Jo Lynn McAughey, alleges she saw Terry Hobbs doing laundry the night of the murders, presumably to clean the mud off of his clothes after killing the boys in the woods, and the fact that a prized pocket knife owned by Stevie, one he almost always carried with him, was later found among Terry Hobbs's possessions. Finally, and perhaps most damningly, the filmmakers produced three young men who now claim to have been told by a nephew of Terry Hobbs that the fact that Terry killed the three boys was a closely guarded "family secret." In statements under oath, the three witnesses say that Michael Hobbs told them, "My uncle killed three boys in West Memphis."

Good info, but this still doesn't tell us exactly when the tests were run and when it was discovered that the hair matched Terry Hobbs. Was this something that happened during the actual trial or was the match only discovered long after the trial was over?

That's interesting about the guys claiming that Terry Hobb's nephew claims is a family secret that Terry killed the kids. I wonder if that's true.

In any case, it sounds like Terry Hobbs is a real shit. So fuck that guy.

Well Jesse and Jason were both a bit backwards, Jesse especially.

Damien was like, the most intelligent person in the whole town, it's not surprising people thought he was weird!

I'd agree that Damien was more intelligent than most of the people surrounding him, but I don't think that's why they thought he was weird. I'd suspect it had more to do with the fact that he exhibited behavior and made statements that came off as psychotic.

Okay, I'll bite.

1. What evidence do you have that they still practice the occult to this day?

2. Why precisely do you think those are Satanic tattoos? Looks more like some shit out of Blade to me.

3. What exactly is this evidence that suggests that Depp may have had something to do with River's Phoenix's death?

What I wonder if how the idea for the HBO doc got started in the first place. Like, it seems to me that someone had to say, "Hold up, you know what, something's not adding up here. . ." And what precisely caused that reaction.
The first doc happened because the case was getting a lot of attention due to being so bizarre and horrific. The film was meant to just show the investigation and trial. The filmmakers said that at first they thought the kids were guilty but over the course of filming they came to believe them innocent. Then of course they were found guilty so that's how the whole idea of them getting railroaded got started.

edit: btw I don't know if you're familiar with Scyther, but he's a conspiracy theory troll. Engage him if you wish, just know what you're getting into

The first doc happened because the case was getting a lot of attention due to being so bizarre and horrific. The film was meant to just show the investigation and trial. The filmmakers said that at first they thought the kids were guilty but over the course of filming they came to believe them innocent. Then of course they were found guilty so that's how the whole idea of them getting railroaded got started.

Cool, that's the information I was looking for, thank you. I've seen all of the Paradise Lost films but have done zero research on their actual production.

edit: btw I don't know if you're familiar with Scyther, but he's a conspiracy theory troll. Engage him if you wish, just know what you're getting into

Oh yes, I know. He's making some pretty concrete claims though so I figured I'd give him the opportunity to either sink or swim based on the evidence he can provide.

Back