What's your verdict on the West Memphis 3?

While and after watching the first Paradise Lost so many years ago I thought they were guilty when the doc was trying to say they weren't, and after all these years I still think they are. Perhaps the case against them wasn't handled the best, but I think it's most likely they committed the crime.

While and after watching the first Paradise Lost so many years ago I thought they were guilty when the doc was trying to say they weren't, and after all these years I still think they are. Perhaps the case against them wasn't handled the best, but I think it's most likely they committed the crime.

Watch West of Memphis. If you still think they did they are guilty after that I would be shocked. They didnt do it. Im fucking positive.

its still hard for me to say.... there are so many "facts" being tossed about. alot of mis information, poor police work, lies, and opposing stories and timelines, its very confusing. the dna evidence seems to strongly indicate that the wm3 did not do this. but again. i dont know all the facts about this case. with so much media attention it only made things more confusing and muddy the waters.

Not sure how well you remember the second film, but what did you think of Mark Byers? A lot of people think he killed those kids.

I watched the original 3, then the final one, read up religiously on it all, and thought it was pretty much concluded that it was likely Steven Branch's step-father, Terry Hobbs (pic below)? Not that Mark Byers wasn't nuts and that knife-gift chilling. I haven't really kept up in the last few years, aside from the occasional Damien Echols interview.

That movie version of The Devil's Knot was fucking awful.

9-reporter_image2.jpg

Was it? I considered watching it a few times . . . but I dunno . . . something about turning this case into a movie just didn't feel right.

Was it? I considered watching it a few times . . . but I dunno . . . something about turning this case into a movie just didn't feel right.

It's got some decent cast, but overall it's one step removed from a movie-of-the-week.

I was so disappointed by The Devils Knot. I had high hopes and it was a mess.

It's got some decent cast, but overall it's one step removed from a movie-of-the-week.

That's kind of strange really because this was such a high profile case. If they were going to make a movie out of this story, they should've put it in the hands of someone like David Fincher.

That's kind of strange really because this was such a high profile case. If they were going to make a movie out of this story, they should've put it in the hands of someone like David Fincher.

And a pretty good book as a blueprint, to boot.

A Zodiac-ish take would've been aces.

I take back my "decent cast" comment -- anyone who was decent was negated by the mere presence of Reese Witherspoon.

Heyyyyyyyy, calm down now. Have you seen her in S2 of Fargo? She's great.

Alas, I'm just finishing season one finally. Wait, isn't that Kirsten Dunst in S2? Or are you spoiling everything?

Anyway, Witherspoon gets a short-lived pass from me right now for her presence in "Mud." Good movie, and she was good in it.

But she'll never live down how she treated that cop. "Do you know who I am?" Or those fucking "Legally Blonde" movies.

Alas, I'm just finishing season one finally. Wait, isn't that Kirsten Dunst in S2? Or are you spoiling everything?

Anyway, Witherspoon gets a short-lived pass from me right now for her presence in "Mud." Good movie, and she was good in it.

But she'll never live down how she treated that cop. "Do you know who I am?" Or those fucking "Legally Blonde" movies.

Oh shit, my bad. I got confused for a minute there.

Reese Witherspoon. I thought she was great in Walk the Line and I also really liked Wild. I sheepishly confess that I also kind of liked Legally Blonde and Sweet Home Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Literally been following their case since I was in high school. There was never any doubt in my mind that they were completely 100% innocent. Spent many years talking to people about this case and spreading the word online and in person. I was sitting in a cafe in Puerto Rico for my friend's bachelorette weekend when they were finally released and I literally burst into tears when I saw it on the news.

Terry Hobbs is an obvious suspect and it's a shame he was never formally questioned. I get mad just thinking about how poorly this case was investigated. It's scary how an entire town can convict 3 kids based on their on bias and heresay before they even have their day in court.

Not sure how well you remember the second film, but what did you think of Mark Byers? A lot of people think he killed those kids.

He switched to being on their side. Now everyone thinks Terry Hobbs (i think that's his name, one of the kids' dad anyway) did it.
Mark Byers was crazy tho, seeing him cut pro-wrestling style promos on the documentaries was bizarre.

I honestly can't see how anyone can think they are guilty.
I suppose it's going against the grain to say you think they did it, despite there being absolutely zero evidence against them.

Oh shit, my bad. I got confused myself for a minute there.

Reese Witherspoon. I thought she was great in Walk the Line and I also really liked Wild. I sheepishly confess that I also kind of liked Legally Blonde and Sweet Home Alabama.

Fear is her best work, oh and with alyssa milano. I was a bit like old marky in that movie at one time.

He switched to being on their side. Now everyone thinks Terry Hobbs (i think that's his name, one of the kids' dad anyway) did it.
Mark Byers was crazy tho, seeing him cut pro-wrestling style promos on the documentaries was bizarre.

Byers was awesome. It's hard to believe that someone like him is actually out there running around in the world.

I honestly can't see how anyone can think they are guilty.
I suppose it's going against the grain to say you think they did it, despite there being absolutely zero evidence against them.

You may be interested in some of the Callahan material that was posted earlier in the thread.

Byers was awesome. It's hard to believe that someone like him is actually out there running around in the world.

You may be interested in some of the Callahan material that was posted earlier in the thread.

None of that is any kind of evidence or proof, it just says what we all knew already, that Damien Echols was a weird kid.

I was so sure it was Byers at first with the whole thing about him having his teeth removed, but then I thought 'surely they could just bring up some old dental records to see if they matched the bite marks on the kids'.

I've actually only seen the first two documentaries. I've got the third one and 'West of Memphis' but until I get a USA region blu-ray player I can't watch them properly!

I watched the original 3, then the final one, read up religiously on it all, and thought it was pretty much concluded that it was likely Steven Branch's step-father, Terry Hobbs (pic below)? Not that Mark Byers wasn't nuts and that knife-gift chilling. I haven't really kept up in the last few years, aside from the occasional Damien Echols interview.

9-reporter_image2.jpg

^ my guess is this dude did it. that dude is a turd

Back