Movies What's your top 10 greatest male actors?

Out of these 10, who's the best actor?

• Total voters
Daniel Dey-Lewis is in another league compared to the rest, out of the rest I'd say Oldman is probably the most versatile. De Niro & Hanks have the strongest resumes, I'd also say De Niro had the most powerful performances.

Well said.

My personal favorites?

Robert De Niro
Toshiro Mifune
Al Pacino
Chris Walken
Jack Nicholson
Anatoly Solonitsyn
Tatsuya Nakadai
Bill Murray
Brendan Gleeson
John Hurt
Philip Seymour-Hoffman
Marcello Mastroianni
Sam Rockwell
Kurt Russell
Joaquin Phoenix
Martin Sheen
Beat Takashi
Mickey Rouke
Jeff Bridges

My personal favorites?

Robert De Niro
Toshiro Mifune
Al Pacino
Chris Walken
Jack Nicholson
Anatoly Solonitsyn
Tatsuya Nakadai
Bill Murray
Brendan Gleeson
John Hurt
Philip Seymour-Hoffman
Marcello Mastroianni
Sam Rockwell
Kurt Russell
Joaquin Phoenix
Martin Sheen
Beat Takashi
Mickey Rouke
Jeff Bridges

I would like your post, but I have no more likes to give. lol

Interesting names you got there. I like the fact you put John Hurt in that list. He's very underrated.

Great actor no doubt. But I prefer his performances in the 70's all the way to about Carlito's Way.

my favorite alongside Leo and DeNiro.

Then Bale and Oldman, personally.

DDL is better than many. So is Hopkins but I judge my favorite based on what films to here done.

Great actor no doubt. But I prefer his performances in the 70's all the way to about Carlito's Way.

Pacino's been chewing scenary since Scent of a Woman. It doesn't make for great movies, but it's fun as hell to watch. One of the things I loved about Stand Up Guys was that there's barely any plot at all, the whole movie is just excuse to get Pacino and Walken on the screen and have them act on each other before their careers end.

DDL is better than many. So is Hopkins but I judge my favorite based on what films to here done.

Hopkins is an interesting case in sheer longevity. His career has gone so far and wide they'll throw him into literally anything at this point. You watch something like Transformers and you wonder what the hell they were thinking. Then you watch Thor and say "Ohhhhh THAT'S what they were thinking."

Pacino's been chewing scenary since Scent of a Woman. It doesn't make for great movies, but it's fun as hell to watch. One of the things I loved about Stand Up Guys was that there's barely any plot at all, the whole movie is just excuse to get Pacino and Walken on the screen and have them act on each other before their careers end.

Hopkins is an interesting case in sheer longevity. His career has gone so far and wide they'll throw him into literally anything at this point. You watch something like Transformers and you wonder what the hell they were thinking. Then you watch Thor and say "Ohhhhh THAT'S what they were thinking."

He's great, and those were just done for the money i guess

Btw why do you think "A Streetcar Named Desire" was awful? I think that's Brando best performance in his career. That particular performance actually changed acting altogether. The dinner scene in particular was natural and seamless as it gets when he gets angry.

As for DDL have you seen him in Age of Innocence, Ballad of Jack and Rose, The Boxer or Phantom Thread? He doesn't do that so called over the top acting you say about him. He's more subtle and nuanced. But that's just me. I understand why you'd say he is hammy. Which is fine.

I always thought Olivier is hammy, but he's a phenomenal actor. Othello in particular is his best performance.

I haven't seen "A Streetcar named Desire" in quite a few years, but that was my first impression. For years, I felt like it was understood that Brando was one of the greatest, if not the greatest in his field. I did not dispute it. However, when I got around to seeing some of his stuff and digest them, I came away less impressed.

There are a limited number of DDL performances I have seen. My first exposure, In My Left Foot, I was very impressed. His performance in "In The Name of the Father" was good overall, but I started picking up parts of his performance that felt over the top. Then in "Gangs of New York", it felt like it hit its Zenith. It felt so corny to me, I didn't like it. Overall, excellent in "There Will Be Blood", but once again, I felt like there were some "hammy" moments. Just my opinion.

Part of it comes down to consistency and truthfully, I haven't seen all the works of all the actors I mentioned. I am simply basing it on my exposure and my experience. Obviously, there are some great performances there. Problem for me was there were some performances I did not think were great.

Pacino was my #1 for overall quality of performance, range and consistency. His journey and transformation as Michael Corleone is amazing and chilling and believable. Then you see him as Tony Montana in Scarface. It doesn't feel like the same guy. I haven't seen all of his films, but I have seen many and I love his performance and choices in every one. When he played Jack Kevorkian, the first time I knew he was portraying a real person, my expectations were a little lower. I didn't think it was his thing. Once again, he blew me away. His speech, his mannerisms, his affect, literally the soul of Jack Kevorkian.

Last edited:
Gary Oldman all the way, not only a great actor but a relatively sweet old man

as much as I love De Niro....has he even played more than 1 role????? hes essentially the same in every movie ffs

I haven't seen "A Streetcar named Desire" in quite a few years, but that was my first impression. For years, I felt like it was understood that Brando was one of the greatest, if not the greatest in his field. I did not dispute it. However, when I got around to seeing some of his stuff and digest them, I came away less impressed.

Have you seen Brando in Julius Caesar? You can actually all his scenes in YT. Here's all of them.

What's your thoughts on his acting here?

There are a limited number of DDL performances I have seen. My first exposure, In My Left Foot, I was very impressed. His performance in "In The Name of the Father" was good overall, but I started picking up parts of his performance that felt over the top. Then in "Gangs of New York", it felt like it hit its Zenith. It felt so corny to me, I didn't like it. Overall, excellent in "There Will Be Blood", but once again, I felt like there were some "hammy" moments. Just my opinion.

That make sense, you've only seen the roles that were his most intense really. If you watch his films like Age of Innocence, The Boxer, Ballad of Jack Rose, or Phantom Thread. Like I said in the previous post, he's more subtle/nuanced.

Part of it comes down to consistency and truthfully, I haven't seen all the works of all the actors I mentioned. I am simply basing it on my exposure and my experience. Obviously, there are some great performances there. Problem for me was there were some performances I did not think were great.

Fair enough.

Pacino was my #1 for overall quality of performance, range and consistency. His journey and transformation as Michael Corleone is amazing and chilling and believable. Then you see him as Tony Montana in Scarface. It doesn't feel like the same guy. I haven't seen all of his films, but I have seen many and I love his performance and choices in every one. When he played Jack Kevorkian, the first time I knew he was portraying a real person, my expectations were a little lower. I didn't think it was his thing. Once again, he blew me away. His speech, his mannerisms, his affect, literally the soul of Jack Kevorkian.

I got to be honest Pacino tends to overact himself at times. Scarface for example was very over the top. He was also over the top in Devils Advocate and even Scent of a Woman. He reminds me of Jack Nicholson a very charismatic performer on screen, but with more range.

Don't get me wrong he's one of the best no doubt, that's why he's in my top 10. His roles in the 70's was his best like Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico and of course The Godfather films. Where I believe was his best acting. Specifically The Godfather part II. Tremendous acting in there from different levels of emotions to subtle nuances. A real masterclass in acting.

I would say Scarface was really the big turning point.

lol yeah just like the Oscars, I should have implemented a race quota.

Denzel Washington is good at what he does, but he's not that versatile as those guys I mentioned in my top 10 imo.

O'Toole

PLvB.gif

Back