Whats your take on the lower belt bragger?

Your buddy sounds like he sucks at BJJ and tries to "win" every roll via stalemate followed by a "I didn't get tapped so we must be equals...".

Lol its usually "I didn't tap so Im better than you"

It's a blue belt honeymoon phase, lots of folks go through it. If they stick with BJJ long enough, eventually they will learn that no one cares about gym taps, and they mellow out.

Just smile and nod like you would if your four year old came up to you with a macaroni picture thinking it deserves a nobel prize.

I try hard every time i train to leave my ego at the door. most times that happens, sometimes it doesn't. if someone gets annoying like that, i just stop talking to them about bjj

I remember the times I tapped dangerous higher belts who dont play around and almost always whoop my ass merely as a reminder that the potential to catch them is there, but I don't bring it up or brag about it. I see it as a way to not fear grappling with the killers as many people get frustrated rolling with people who smash them because they feel they can't win or how difficult it is... I see it as I have won before.

Conversely, I remember the one time as a 4 stripe Blue that I tapped out to a white belt as a reminder that the same thing can happen to me. He hit me with a damn good armbar and I gave him props.

The thing I realize now about jiujitsu, is if you actually care about getting better you'll basically never walk away from a training day feeling like king. You tapped a newbie 4 times? You suck, you should have tapped him 10 times. You should have never let him almost pass your guard, why did you let him get good grips etc

I usually just ignore that kind of shit. Just train. I get beat and sometimes I do well. I just want to train. Win or lose I'm still training and that is what makes me happy.

It's douchey to brag about it, but anyone that says they have no ego is a liar. If you have any competitive fire in you at all, you are gunning for the higher ranks and trying to shut down the puppies nipping at your heels. If nobody cared about gym performance nobody would ever push to improve

My advice is just keep training. One day you guys will role and you will get your chance to serve him some humble pie.

I started with a few friends and they went their way I went mine. Through other friends I heard about them changing schools and talking about how good they were. I never talked about training with people I didn't train with. One night one of my old buddies came back to our old school. I smashed him for an hour. Never really broke a sweat. Smiling laughing and just having a good time.
At the end we shook hands, I knew that he knew. And he knew that I knew and I have never heard from that group again.

Back to training

Some gyms use taps to determine hierarchy, don't like it but it's true in some places. Oh so and so tapped so and so, he's ready for a promotion so everyone is bragging.

Athletic lower belts can legitimately tap older, out of shape upper belts.

You see this shit where the upper belt is like "good, good, now finish the choke!" you know it's legit. lol

Back