Whats your take on the lower belt bragger?

CrazyN8

Custom Title
@Black
Reaction score
So an old friend posted that he got his blue belt in BJJ this week. Good on him..I haven't talked to him in a while and we never did BJJ together or were even into it together. Anyways I send him a message saying great job, OSS! We get to chatting (I've been a blue for about a year) and he just wont stop mentioning how he has been tapping blues for a while now all around his area. I mention that now purples and above won't go easy on him anymore as a joke and goes off about how he stalemates purples all the time and basically bragging about gym success. He may be very good, I have no idea, but whats your take on this type of grappler? Ever meet someone that just won't stop mentioning his taps? I just sopped messaging cause frankly I found it annoying.

Almost as bad as the blue who has an excuse or reason for each time they got tapped by a white belt. I get so annoyed by these types but they are here to stay

Why should it bother you? It doesn't affect you, and the guy will learn on his own that it's no big deal. On the other hand it's okay to be pleased with progress. I tap purples and sometimes stalemate browns, and it does give me some validation of my skills (I've got no BJJ belt coming from Judo). But it also means that there are still plenty of people who'd beat me down.

I've never met anybody that volunteered this info so I don't know.

Why should it bother you? It doesn't affect you, and the guy will learn on his own that it's no big deal. On the other hand it's okay to be pleased with progress. I tap purples and sometimes stalemate browns, and it does give me some validation of my skills (I've got no BJJ belt coming from Judo). But it also means that there are still plenty of people who'd beat me down.

You know..I think the root of the problem is this guy has always been a one-upper..and now hes doing it again with BJJ. It might be a personal thing between me and him..I just forgot about how bad it can be. Maybe I was hoping BJJ took some of that out of him.

Also, I don't like it because you never know what someones doing on the mats. He could be bragging about tapping a purple that was using his C game on him trying new stuff.

one of my family members is like this. it seems when i dont come to trianing he is tapping all the competitors or black belts.... yet he has never won a tourny at blue..... even small local ones......

its weird cuz im the opposite. i play down any training success and never brag about anything bjj. Then again i dont have competitive aspirations like my family member. I just compete for fun once or twice a year.

who cares
maybe his training mates aren't that good? who knows and seriously, who cares?
you don't train with him. Some people just like to brag to make themselves feel good.

who cares
maybe his training mates aren't that good? who knows and seriously, who cares?
you don't train with him. Some people just like to brag to make themselves feel good.

I obviously care :(

I roll my eyes and move on.

I dont get why you would be so bothered. Most people are pleased with progress.I remember how proud I was when I first tapped a Blue.I spent weeks getting dominated by every Blue I saw.Then Blues would start tapping me once per roll,then stalemated,then when I finally tapped one!. I didnt brag mainly because I felt weird about it but obviously this guy feels comfortable enough with you to tell you about his milestones. The truth is that many people view different feats as different milestones.While one person might feel alot of pride in getting a Blue belt, another might feel the same pride in Tapping a Blue. Just let him know his "bragging" bothers you and he will stop.

The one that I laugh are the guy that post on fb that he is cutting weight for his BJJ fight. Now everyone thinks he is dangerous. Lol

Some people are insecure. This happens in BJJ, school, work, anything where there are accomplishments that are evaluated relative to other people. It's an annoying quality but try to ignore it.

You obviously challenge them to a roll to the death.

Just ignore him. He sounds a bit like a douche. In the bigger scheme of things, no one cares about 'gym taps'. Everyone is training to improve themselves. If he really believes he is such a badass let him do that in tournaments or MMA then he can be more justified in bragging about his taps.

Your buddy sounds like he sucks at BJJ and tries to "win" every roll via stalemate followed by a "I didn't get tapped so we must be equals...".

Back