What's your opinion on IBJJF's no knee reaping rule

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by kenpeters8, Aug 11, 2015.

1. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

What's your opinion on IBJJF's no knee reaping rule? Personally I think it's stupid. They need to allow knee reaping.

2. cjd

cjd Blue Belt

Does anyone actually not think it is stupid?

3. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

I could understand the rule being used for lower belt divisions where competitors are less likely to know proper reap defense, but at brown/black where I think you should know how to at least prevent the reaping, it shouldn't be kept around.

4. kenpeters8

Actually yes. The idiots that say "knee reaping will tear someone's knee!!"

Someone knee reap me plenty of times before and I knee reap other people plenty of times before. There was never any knee pain. IBJJF is effing retarded for not allowing knee reaping.

TheWarlover likes this.
  5. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    Agree as well

6. ChainFlow

ChainFlow Brown Belt

When I started, everyone reaped. We didn't even call it that because that was just the right way to do certain leg locks. Are omoplatas elbow reaping? Why are they legal?

I did see a couple injuries. Inevitably from someone trying to force their leg straight while it was reaped, or trying to spin the wrong way. Once it was a guy trying to reap from too far out, where it actually can endanger the knee through no fault of the defender.

It's not any more dangerous than doing takedowns or DLR sweeps.

7. HIGH VALUE

HIGH VALUE Green Belt

Not real Fighting

8. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

same people who wer fearful of the downward elbow at early ufc athletic commision hearing. Those types are very fearful of the knee reap.

9. kenpeters8

Omoplata is definitely elbow reaping and I don't see that any safer than knee reaping, to be honest.

I guess IBJJF wanted to ban knee reaping is to make leg lock experts feel handicapped in IBJJF tournaments.

10. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Reaping is no more dangerous than Kimuras.

But Kimuras are VERY dangerous.

11. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

Here's my real question about knee reaping:

Who here believes that the reaping rule is in effect not because of safety, but to tilt the rules in favor of the Gracie Barra style of BJJ?

12. kenpeters8

IBJJF obviously don't want leg lock experts or Sambo players to dominate in IBJJF tournaments. That's why they banned knee reaping.

13. Knock Out Ned

Knock Out Ned el mero mero

Most of the refs I've gotten are actually pretty knowledgable with leg positions. I had a match recently where it was back and forth and the ref really let us play.

Still, some refs don't even know what reaping is.

It's ridiculous.

14. TheHereticJay

TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

I completely agree with the rule. One time in BJJ Camp, I saw a guy reap a knee...and it exploded. There were ligaments and bone fragments everywhere!

I like my bone fragments staying inside my body.

15. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

I've only done one seminar where reaping, heel hooks and toe holds were taught, but I've been training under ibjjf rules for my entire 4+ years. Sometimes I do feel like I'm missing out on a big component of grappling, and at some point I would like to delve deeper into that stuff.... But I'm ok with the restriction. I'm never going to Abu Dhabi or any thing like that, I'm just training tas a fun hobby and it feels good not to have to worry about by knee ligaments.

Maybe the ibjjf could allow reaping in nogi for browns and blacks. I think that would be ok. But with the gi pants I think it's better to prevent those kind of leg entanglements

16. Newcastle

Newcastle Brown Belt

I used to be a staunch supporter of non-reaping. That said I've changed my mind a lot in the last few months after training with Reilly Bodycomb and focusing more on my leg lock game. :icon_chee

Dogstarman likes this.
  17. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

A part of me feels like this is some conspiracy theory type idea, but another part of me recognizes that they do allow guard jumping, which is arguably as dangerous a technique if not more so. I wouldn't say it specifically favors Gracie Baja tho, it just represents the big focus on guard play in bjj. If close guard is your A game and jumping is allowed, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of it

18. ThR1LL

ThR1LL Yellow Belt

I'm all for the rule of no heel hooks till brown/black in competition. I've suffered an MCL sprain from one because I didn't know how to defend and they guy was a dick and wouldn't let go immediately after I tapped. At lower belts a lot of people are doing multiple sports so knee wear and tear is a problem. With my MCL sprain I was still able to do my Muay Thai training with active sparring, and I was still able to roll. However I was not able to play basketball or run 100M and 200M dashes.

Rickson talked about it in a Joe Rogan podcast and how going against a joint is safer because usually you'll feel pain right away, but bending joints sideways there's more risk for an injury to happen before a real pain comes in to urge the person to tap

From a strict BJJ or MMA standpoint I'm all for reaping the knee, but for a someone who does other sports that are big on explosiveness I think it's alright for it to be illegal for lower belts given many lower belts are in the feeling out process to see if BJJ is for them or to stick with/try another sport.

19. Medusas Weave

Medusas Weave Blue Belt

Idiots?

20. flikerstance

flikerstance floridaman Double Yellow Card