What's your opinion of the UFC ten years ago compared to today better or worse?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by liteitup, Aug 13, 2019.

1. liteitup

liteitup Yellow Belt

I think it's a lot worse nowadays barely watch anymore.Exited that Nate Diaz is coming back but what else is there besides a lot of watered down cards and no break out stars besides Conor, Khabib, and Jones.The UFC fighters might be a little better now but the promotion is a lot more Vanilla.Ten years ago I feel it was way more mainstream. People actually talked about it back then. Chuck, Randy, GSP, Anderson and all the best Pride fighters that came to the UFC had a ton of hype behind them.The Fertittas were a lot better at promoting than WMG even though they had less resources.There is absolutely no hype these days.Any reasons why I should watch again? Or is it never going to be as good as it once was.

Ronoc Rogergcm likes this.
  2. AssassinFacedBaby

AssassinFacedBaby Shitpost Belt Platinum Member

I don’t know I didn’t watch it back then.

3. SportRuiners

SportRuiners Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

wmma and usada with watered down shitcards ruined ufc

TheSpider, fjodor, KevinLee and 2 others like this.
  4. Ronoc Rogergcm

Ronoc Rogergcm Yellow Belt

UFC watered down the product.
    Also UFC stopped promoting individual fighters and focuses solely on the brand.

Why didnt the UFC ever push flashy walkout and intros?? Filthy Tom Lawler is an excellent example. The guy was a pedestrian fighter, but the UFC GOAT for entrances. He drew eyeballs. He got people interested to tune in to watch. UFC dropped the ball not promoting him and encouraging other exciting walkout themes/entrances.

But its because UFC didnt want to build fighters. Only wanted to build the UFC name.

MMAcolyte, AZ103 and SportRuiners like this.
  5. oceansize

oceansize Blue Belt

Overall talent has improved and parity amonst competitors is high. Next generation Stars will arrive but could be a while as money is not great for new talent thus they may not stick around long enough to achieve greatness. I don't miss guys getting arm barred every other fight. I do miss some of the personalities but that is about it. Rose colored glasses are real.

HHJ, aerius and Ronoc Rogergcm like this.
  6. Luvhawky

Luvhawky Brown Belt Platinum Member

The quality of the “watered down” fights is higher than most of the old cards. The sport is better on the whole and the skill levels show it.

aerius likes this.
  7. Dbreiden83080

Dbreiden83080 Danger Zone

Fertittas I thought were mega fight fans and for that reason would not really ever be interested in selling. People say “oh well it was $4 billion” Yeah well they have been filthy fucking rich since they were in diapers. They inherited a goddamn empire from their father. It’s not like they were ever hurting for money. I was surprised they sold.

Ronoc Rogergcm and AZ103 like this.
  8. Ken Oath

Ken Oath Purple Belt

Still dying.

WME, Fox and now ESPN are being conned.

Ronoc Rogergcm, TheSpider and AZ103 like this.
  9. Lando

Lando Yellow Card Yellow Card

- Heavyweight was better
    - Way more action in fights, less point fighting
    - No Reebok

Everything else now is better

Ronoc Rogergcm and AZ103 like this.
  10. mkess101

mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

The way first world society consumes entertainment has changed. I think it's for the worse, but that's just my opinion.

Everyone now can stream everything right to their phone. Instant gratification, and as much of the stuff you like as you want. Anticipating, looking forward to, getting excited for---these seem to be outdated terms. All of society wants everything RIGHT FUCKING NOW, dammit.

Well...businesses are in the habit of giving consumers what they demand. The NFL went from just Sunday day games to Monday nights to then Sunday nights and now Thursday night and even Saturdays (once college football season ends). Stores used to open super early for Black Friday to sell shit because...well...insane people would wake up at 4 am to get a deal. But hey...what if we open at midnight instead? Will they still shop? Yep. Well...fuck it...how about in the afternoon on Thanksgiving day? Sure, why not? Movies used to open on Friday nights. Now the big blockbusters? Thursday nights and they run shows 24 hours a day to make sure to get every single asshole they can through that door that will pay to see that movie RIGHT FUCKING NOW instead of waiting a week or two.

So...anyway. Why would the UFC be any different? In this society, you can't get anyone to pay attention to ANYTHING for more than a few minutes.

"Hey, we have an insanely stacked card full of superstars in 4 weeks. Make sure to buy the ppv!" would be met with "Four weeks? I might be dead or in jail, shithead. Show me some crappy regional level slobweights brawling right now or I'll find something else to put my eyeballs on." So, the UFC puts one decent fight on a streaming service and surrounds it with lower level fights and then repeats that 28 times per year. And then makes a couple decent cards, apparently just for the hell of it.

TL/DR: Yeah, it's worse now.

And I'm old and like to rant every now and then. Get off my lawn.

The Senator, Ken Oath and aerius like this.
  11. TheSpider

TheSpider Blue Belt

The Fertittas conned WME, Fox, and ESPN

Ken Oath likes this.
  12. Superman Elbow

Superman Elbow Green Belt

Talent is higher but much less exciting. Bellator is generally more fun to watch except for UFC title fights.

Ken Oath likes this.
  13. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Brown Belt

Overall... I think it's worse now. There are way too many watered down cards. I remember when PPV events were pretty stacked.

You look at UFC 241 and it looks great! Back in the day, most of the PPVs were like that. Now, most of the PPVs are 1-2 relevant fights and then filler.

I mean, UFC 240 had Geoff Neal vs Niko Price as the 3rd fight ??? These guys aren't even in the top 20 at welterweight. Back before so many events watered down the product, almost all of the 5 main card bouts were between top 10 ranked fighters, or fighters who were well known and had been ranked in the top 10 previously.

Ken Oath likes this.
  14. ChickenBrother

ChickenBrother JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT

Talent pool is deeper now, making it much harder for any champ to be dominant. GSP and Anderson (and BJ to a lesser extent) had a mythical aura. Anderson's fight with Forrest was almost exactly 10 years ago and coming off that he was viewed as goddamn invincible as anyone will ever be in the UFC.

Free WEC cards on basic cable were pretty great. But free cards on Fox and now ESPN that weren't around then are good too.

I wouldn't say it's better or worse, just different. More watered down with more cards, but there's interesting fights out there just like before.

15. ScarfaceMasdival

ScarfaceMasdival White Belt

Better fighters now

worse everything else

Ken Oath likes this.
  16. p4pfighters

p4pfighters Yellow Belt

the roster is worse than ever

Ken Oath likes this.
  17. C0NCH3TO

C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

Better of course. 2008-2011 were the golden years.

Robin Van Rogan likes this.
  18. vandymeer13

vandymeer13 Yellow Belt

Reebok usda less focus on the individual fighters everyone is like a clone now. Definitely worse.

The Senator and Ken Oath like this.
  19. sampuncher

sampuncher Brown Belt

More talented fighters now but less names now aswell.

20. MEAN357

MEAN357 Pernell Whitaker belt

More talent, higher skill cap, more versatile fighters etc. That said we're in a bit of a lull as far as big draws and tth sport was way more fun without USADA. Even bum tier fighters brought it every time.