Whats your favorite VHS cover art of all time?

shinobimusashi

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
VHS was very cool because of the packaging and box art was something special. You just don't get this with movies today, and fuck these Blu Ray and DVD re-released that change the artwork to something really lame.

What is your absolute favorite VHS cover art ever? Mine is a weird one I guess:

81l5vcg7bvL._SL1275_.jpg

UFC 3 VHS is my favorite of all time, because this VHS got me into UFC, I rented it from Blockbusters at the time and thought it will be similar to boxing, looked fun I thought. That got me hooked on it, then after I went back to Blockbusters and rented UFC 2.

UFC3vhs.gif

4e82431c891d8_184371n.jpg

I still have many old UFC VHS tapes in a box, I have UFC 1 - 22 , but am missing UFC 9 and UFC 20. I love the smell of them, nothing is like the smell of a old VHS cover and tape. I don't have a video player anymore, it broke a long time ago. But I'll keep them just for memories.

My uncle is hard core VHS only, we bought him a dvd player but he didn't like it. I'm not sure how many copies of Rocky 1 to 5 he has wemt through. A VHS will only last so long

s-l300.jpg

Fuck, feels like walking through a video store itt now, some good ones. Never seen the Strange Brew cover before that is excellent.

Amen on the UFC tapes. I have 1 through 20(plus Ultimate Brazil, Ultimate Japan, and both Ultimate Ultimates but don't have 2, 4, 5, or 6 on VHS, got them on DVD though) sitting on a book shelf next to me as I type this, they fit in perfectly from side to side and it's just one of my favorite things in my house.

The early UFC VHS box art was indeed dope as fuck, hard for me to pick one favorite, the box art for 1 through 8 gives me the feels:

dscf05101.jpg

For actual movies can't beat some of the VHS era horror, Return Of The Living Dead:

vhs2_1024x1024.jpg

Also got to say the box art for Faces Of Death II is gnarly as fuck:

fod2-d.jpg

It's crazy to look back I used to rent bareknuckle UFC and Faces OF Death tapes when I was like 10 and nobody cared, not my parents, not the video store clerk, it was just ok.

Also remember UFC tapes were mixed in with shit like Faces Of Death in the special interest section? Hahaha good times.

My uncle is hard core VHS only, we bought him a dvd player but he didn't like it. I'm not sure how many copies of Rocky 1 to 5 he has wemt through. A VHS will only last so long

View attachment 560493

I have some 2nd gen copies of Japanese pro wrestling. I RARELY play them because I know they're going to go sooner or later. :(

P8.jpg

So simple. So clean.

not necessarily my favorite, but the one that always caught my attention every time I went to the movie rental store as a young lad was the lenticular cover of the Jack Frost horror movie. I might not remember the names of my family members when I’m an old man w/ severe dementia, but I will always remember that vhs cover.

jack-frost-vhs.jpg

Makes movies sooo much more appealing. Im sure i rented a lot more films simply based on the cover art.

Back