What's your biggest frustration?

My poor top control, I can pass guard but most people in the academy aren't threatened by it because they know they can basically bench press me off or shrimp out easily.

Having a great number of techniques from a certain position (mostly half guard), but sucking at performing them on my weak side.

Two things really.

1. Life. I seriously wish that I could train full time....like twice a day all week. It kills me coming into sparring and working with these college students that have nothing but time on their hands apparently.

2. Age. Even if I had the time, my body wouldn't be able to take training that much. Sure, I'd make some gains and get better at it, but recovery time is slower at 36 that it was at 18....that's just true.

I really just need to stop worrying about what I can't do and enjoy what I can.

too lazy to pass and over reliant on my guard. my 2 biggest frustations.

this seems very silly to me... you would rather knee wrestle? or perhaps you'd like your opponent to give you side control to start?

What I want them to do is engage! Not just flop on there back and expect people to just jump in to guard. I mean at least grab my gi or something. Right after the hand slap they just lean backwards and refuse to clinch or make a try For anything at all. I feel like we're all better off by being put in tough positions and having to fight for the advantageous stuff.

Hey, maybe I suck for being annoyed by it but, well, there it is.

Guard vs. a standing opponent. I come from a judo/wrestling background so I feel comfortable on my feet. Also I developed a good half-guard and butterfly when my opponent is kneeling, but for the life of me can't find a good guard for when my opponent decides to stand.

I don't want to stand up because I know I can take down most of club mates and won't get anything out of it, plus I want to develop it in case I meet someone better than me at takedowns at a comp.

I've tried x-guard, one-legged x-guard, de la riva, reverse de la riva, 50/50....and none of them have really clicked for me the way half-guard and butterfly have....

Sit up guard and spider guard. Sit up guard transitions into the others you mentioned as well as DHG, but you have to get a feel for it and it takes time.

side control is still my worst spot to be in. i don't really feel threatened in mount or with my back taken. I can work out of those, but when I go against a real athletic guy, getting out of side control is a pain in the @$$.

I am a 2 stripe white belt and am talking about rolling with the gi.

No gi, I get stuck being stupid and leaving a leg/foot out there within arms reach....

stack pass. I can shoulder walk and push out, but people will get their arms under my legs and get the grips on my hips and just sit there. I try to do the back-take sometimes but so often people will just fucking stall there.

Biggest frustration is guys who do absolutely nothing except try to pull guard. I'm a white belt so we start on our knees and there are a few guys who, as soon as you get close enough to grab, they just lean away and fall with there legs up to catch you in guard. Then when they're laying there and you're still on your knees they look at you like you're a dick for not diving in. What's the point of practice if you refuse to be put in a less than optimal position? It does make me happy to slap there legs aside and get side control, but that brings me to...

I always get stuck when I HAVE side control on the other guy. I just haven't learned much from that position yet. I realize it is advantageous but I get it and I only have so many options to fall back on and anyone who's been there longer than myself has the ability to block most of my stuff. Not so great off the bottom either.

I'm best at maintaining control on top. I seem to make it pretty difficult to sweep or improve position on me. Pretty good at escaping mount.

All the above is relative to me being pretty new, of course.

When they do that, STAND UP, control their legs, and pass guard. If your training partner sits to guard/buttscoots, it is perfectly acceptable for you to stand up.

Two things really.

1. Life. I seriously wish that I could train full time....like twice a day all week. It kills me coming into sparring and working with these college students that have nothing but time on their hands apparently.

2. Age. Even if I had the time, my body wouldn't be able to take training that much. Sure, I'd make some gains and get better at it, but recovery time is slower at 36 that it was at 18....that's just true.

I really just need to stop worrying about what I can't do and enjoy what I can.

Ditto. I wish I could train more but I have a full time job, a wife and a young daughter. I make it to bjj usually only twice a week and sometimes even only once. I weightrain twice a week and do bjj twice a week. If I added more days than I feel like I would be neglecting my family being that I work a full time job and my wife can be clingy at times.

1. As far as actual bjj goes are my submissions from guard are non existant. My Guard game I feel is week for my level and I am a 2 stripe bluebelt. That is something I really need to improve.

2. Not being flexible and having short legs also hinders me in my guard. These are the areas I am weakest.

What I want them to do is engage! Not just flop on there back and expect people to just jump in to guard. I mean at least grab my gi or something. Right after the hand slap they just lean backwards and refuse to clinch or make a try For anything at all. I feel like we're all better off by being put in tough positions and having to fight for the advantageous stuff.

Hey, maybe I suck for being annoyed by it but, well, there it is.

When starting on the ground, some one should just take bottom and the other person take top. Agree to switch after each roll. Wrestling from knees is useless. Midget wrestling is finally fading at my gym.

I hate being in bottom judo side control. Saps all your energy trying to survive and escape. As soon as I see my opponent switch hips, I make sure my elbow is on the mat and get on my hip as well.

When starting on the ground, some one should just take bottom and the other person take top. Agree to switch after each roll. Wrestling from knees is useless. Midget wrestling is finally fading at my gym.

I hate being in bottom judo side control. Saps all your energy trying to survive and escape. As soon as I see my opponent switch hips, I make sure my elbow is on the mat and get on my hip as well.

I agree.

wrestling on your knees is freaking dangerous especaily when you have newbies pushing or pulling you back while you are on your knees.

I agree.

wrestling on your knees is freaking dangerous especaily when you have newbies pushing or pulling you back while you are on your knees.

that's why I don't start from both knees. as soon as I slap hands I get in one-knee combat base.

that's why I don't start from both knees. as soon as I slap hands I get in one-knee combat base.

Yeah, busted an ankle once because of this. One up and one down now always when his guard is open(unless I'm standing).

Submissions any of them. I have really good defense and escapes decent with sweeps. But I have trouble finishing most subs.

Back