1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for our live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE NOW, Click Here!

What's your biggest frustration?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by sfgrappler, Jul 30, 2010.

1. sfgrappler

sfgrappler White Belt

Where do you get stuck when rolling live?

The reason I ask is because I've noticed different belt levels getting stuck at different points. Just wondering.

2. Rawex

Rawex -

I mostly end up on my back, in halfguard or mounted.
    Then again i am one of the new guys so i spend most of my time defending.

3. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Guard vs. a standing opponent. I come from a judo/wrestling background so I feel comfortable on my feet. Also I developed a good half-guard and butterfly when my opponent is kneeling, but for the life of me can't find a good guard for when my opponent decides to stand.

I don't want to stand up because I know I can take down most of club mates and won't get anything out of it, plus I want to develop it in case I meet someone better than me at takedowns at a comp.

I've tried x-guard, one-legged x-guard, de la riva, reverse de la riva, 50/50....and none of them have really clicked for me the way half-guard and butterfly have....

4. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

Gotta keep your feet on their hips.

When someone takes my back. I don't know many escapes yet. Definately gotta work on some.

5. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Used to do that when I was a white belt, but didn't particularly like that either.

6. Sayian

Sayian Blue Belt

getting my guard passed because i was sloppy

7. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

I always get stuck on bottom in side control or half guard. gettin better at escaping both, but those are my biggest problems. Escaping mount is probably what I am best at, but side control is no dice.

8. FREAK656

FREAK656 Yellow Belt

This thread has some real potential, how about we get where you get stuck AND what you're best at?

I always get stuck in bottom half guard, I get the lockdown and then nothing, I just try to wriggle out and end up getting passed.

I like it when my training partner is on top but not necessarily mount, I have great balance and I can feel where their base is and where momentum is taking them, meaning I can roll guys twice my size pretty easily by waiting for them to move just a little to far to one side...This, Isn't so useful on blues and above.

9. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

Passing. I have a hard time whenever I'm inside someone's guard. It's my weakest spot. I'm proud of my sweeps and my escapes, but it all goes down the drain once I get the sweep and end up inside the guard.

10. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I'm pretty shitty at sweeping and subs from mount.

I'm way better at subbing from side. I'm good at keeping my guard closed and not letting them pass easy.

11. Wandgun

Wandgun Orange Belt

Takedowns. I pull guard almost every time.

12. FREAK656

FREAK656 Yellow Belt

I personally like take-downs, It's one of the few times it's totally cool to just be an animal:icon_twis

13. InfiniteWit

InfiniteWit Orange Belt

My biggest frustration is bad drill partners. I sometimes go with a football player which is great because he's my size and stronger than me. But his technique isn't at the point where it makes mine any better. I've been taken down because of something that I used to do that he didn't capitalize on. And I hate it when he tries to football tackle me and we just end up in the wall.

14. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Under side control. I'd rather them have knee on belly even.

15. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

well i dont do BJJ but i do wrestle. My weakest point is my bottom position. I just cant switch my opponents or stand up very well. If i work on my stand-up i can take any man down. My top position i would say is pretty dominate. But bottom stinks

16. Golden Child

Golden Child White Belt

Biggest frustration is guys who do absolutely nothing except try to pull guard. I'm a white belt so we start on our knees and there are a few guys who, as soon as you get close enough to grab, they just lean away and fall with there legs up to catch you in guard. Then when they're laying there and you're still on your knees they look at you like you're a dick for not diving in. What's the point of practice if you refuse to be put in a less than optimal position? It does make me happy to slap there legs aside and get side control, but that brings me to...

I always get stuck when I HAVE side control on the other guy. I just haven't learned much from that position yet. I realize it is advantageous but I get it and I only have so many options to fall back on and anyone who's been there longer than myself has the ability to block most of my stuff. Not so great off the bottom either.

I'm best at maintaining control on top. I seem to make it pretty difficult to sweep or improve position on me. Pretty good at escaping mount.

All the above is relative to me being pretty new, of course.

17. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

My biggest frustration is people who train with ringworm. If you get that stuff stay the hell off the mats until youve been treating it with lamisil twice a day for at least 5 days.

18. Emang8

Emang8 Green Belt

The fact that it takes me 3-4 classes to get a single technique down, I am sort of a BJJ retard and I know a few people in my gym think i really am slightly retarded because it takes me so long to get something down my instructor even gets a little impatient sometimes lmao

19. mgbyrnc

mgbyrnc Yellow Belt

this seems very silly to me... you would rather knee wrestle? or perhaps you'd like your opponent to give you side control to start?

20. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

My biggest frustration in jiu-jitsu is definitely my weak upper body (I have small, weak shoulders for my weight) and deficient upper-body wrestling skills. When clinching and wrestling with the upper body I usually lose position, so I fall back on my guard instead, because my legs are strong and my guard is the better part of my game.

My weak upper body also makes it difficult for me to succeed in half guard and side control escapes when an opponent with stronger arms and shoulders cross-faces me. It's just hard for me to push off and make space.