What's you favorite go to submission while training?

Which makes me wonder, how detrimental is it for a BJJ player to neglect subs that they are terrible at in favor of mastering subs they are naturally good at? I can't do a triangle to save my life. Am I going to never get a black belt because of that?

that's a good question. i wonder if it would depend on whom you are training under? if you go to worlds and win with, let's say , you have an unstoppable american, and you win your blue belt div, get promoted, win purple the next year, promoted again, win at brown, yet all the while you still have a really shitty triangle but your americana is flippin' awesome. do you get promoted based on tournament success? or are you held at brown because you don't have a well rounded enough game?

that's a good question. i wonder if it would depend on whom you are training under? if you go to worlds and win with, let's say , you have an unstoppable american, and you win your blue belt div, get promoted, win purple the next year, promoted again, win at brown, yet all the while you still have a really shitty triangle but your americana is flippin' awesome. do you get promoted based on tournament success? or are you held at brown because you don't have a well rounded enough game?

I feel like you almost have to be held back.

Being able to win, while awesome, just doesn't say that much about the breadth of your understanding. It says more about your physical abilities, mental ability to handle stress and think fast, etc.

I like using a lot of different ones, well I can't say I like to, if I could triangle everyone it would make my life a lot easier, but in a gym where I give up upwards of 100 pounds to about half the people, triangles aren't the universal tool I would like them to be. That being said
1.) triangle from guard on people my size up to 40/50 pounds heavier
2.) cross collar choke from mount (big or small)
3.) ezekiel choke from mount (big or small)
4.) armbar from closed guard if I can't work an open guard sweep on the big guys

I feel like you almost have to be held back.

Being able to win, while awesome, just doesn't say that much about the breadth of your understanding. It says more about your physical abilities, mental ability to handle stress and think fast, etc.

How is navigating a BJJ match towards cinching one of your best subs inferior to having a rolodex of subs you can flip to and throw up and see if it sticks? Not being facetious, genuinely wondering, this kind of sounds like that Bruce Lee quote about 10K kicks once or 1 kick 10K times.

If Guy 1 beats Guy 2 10 times out of 10 times with the same exact submission, wouldn't that demonstrate Guy 1 is objectively better at BJJ?

Or would you lean more towards black belt implies you know everything sufficient to teach, rather than just being good at winning BJJ?

How is navigating a BJJ match towards cinching one of your best subs inferior to having a rolodex of subs you can flip to and throw up and see if it sticks? Not being facetious, genuinely wondering, this kind of sounds like that Bruce Lee quote about 10K kicks once or 1 kick 10K times.

If Guy 1 beats Guy 2 10 times out of 10 times with the same exact submission, wouldn't that demonstrate Guy 1 is objectively better at BJJ?

Or would you lean more towards black belt implies you know everything sufficient to teach, rather than just being good at winning BJJ?

Not saying that at all. Obviously, great black belts specialize (Garcia, Roger). They can dominate a match and get to where they are comfortable. That's fine.

I'm leaning more towards the idea that a black belt should know how to teach and even apply, when applicable, a vast majority of the BJJ techniques.

Not saying that at all. Obviously, great black belts specialize (Garcia, Roger). They can dominate a match and get to where they are comfortable. That's fine.

I'm leaning more towards the idea that a black belt should know how to teach and even apply, when applicable, a vast majority of the BJJ techniques.

Ahhh ok now I get what you're saying.

Triangle from closed, z-guard, spider, de la riva. Usually I cycle through omoplata, armbar, triangle.

If I am in top position, my favorites are chokes. Lately a lot of cross collar lapel chokes, and darce chokes/guillotines. I'm finding that from side control, or knee on belly, you can cycle through cross collar, darce, guillotine chokes pretty easily (gi or no-gi (although of course no cross collar chokes in nogi)). I've been taking some privates focusing on proper technique on chokes and its been a great addition to my game.

Straight ankle lock, and Kimura grip to whatever they end up giving me.

Arm triangles and knee bars. I like the first one because it is low risk high reward and the latter because it is usually a last ditch effort that at least gets me a scramble/sweep.

Encouraging opponent to turtle during pass then clock choke.
Inverted arm bar from half-guard top.
Brabo from knee on belly / side control.

Once something has been working really well for me for a few months I try to put it on the back burner for a while to develop a new go to.

Kimura top/bottom, arm triangle from bottom and north/south choke. I will play with heel hooks and toe holds but don't try to finish them.

depends on my position, from
guard - armbar
mount - triangle
back - armbar
standing - guillotine
half guard - kimura

Top Side: Kimura, Americana, arm-bar, guillotine

Top Half: Kimura, Americana, guillotine

Mount: Collar Choke, Americana (especially from s-mount), Arm-bar from s-mount w/o dismounting.

Bottom Half: Kimura

Bottom Guard: Kimura, Guillotine, biceps cutter

Back: Lapel Choke, RNC, Lapel choke variation with the hand behind the head, arm-bar

My bottom guard is mostly sweep/arm drag oriented so I'm usually working on improving my position instead of finishing but I've been much better lately at employing my hips in bottom guard and getting finishes.

kimura from side/north south
collar chokes from guard and mount
RNC from back.

Arm triangle and the front triangle of a sprawl.

Back