What's yer sippin' licker?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I've recently developed a taste for Scotch. Haven't had enough to really pick my favorite yet though. I've tried Kirkland, DeWars, and Laphraoig. I think Laphraoig might be my favorite but it's so damn smoky that I can't take very much of it.

My buddy recently got me a bottle of rye whiskey, I think it was called Sazerac. That stuff was pretty good.

And I once had a bottle of Jameson that I really enjoyed. Right now I've got a bottle of Black Velvet canadian whiskey which is surprisingly good for such a cheap product. Maybe I just don't have discriminating tastes yet.

I'm sipping a dirty martini made with Seagram's gin. I don't have a ton of experience with gin either. This is my first bottle of seagram's and it's decent. But the only other Gin I've had is new amsterdam and some bottom shelf stuff that I can't even remember the name of that was clearly intended to be mixed with juice.

Gin is a strange drink, because I don't know anyone that drinks it straight like scotch, yet people love a dry martini, which is like 98% gin. You can't tell me that tiny splash of vermouth makes that much of a difference.

And nobody drinks rum straight either. Know anyone that just sips a glass of rum? Is it just for mixing up fruity girl drinks?

I rarely drink these days and never alone, but when I do...

ci-bakers-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-dda54e6aa75a8727.jpeg
11731615219742.png

Full disclosure: I’ve been too cheap to replenish my Mac ‘18 since it ran out 2 years ago. If I drank more, maybe I would have already bought a new bottle. It is crazy delicious.

Gin is a strange drink, because I don't know anyone that drinks it straight like scotch, yet people love a dry martini, which is like 98% gin. You can't tell me that tiny splash of vermouth makes that much of a difference.

Gin is indeed very strange. I went through a gin and tonic phase. That was an extremely dangerous time, because the drink tasted almost like the same no matter the mix. 70/30, 50/50, 20/80, 5/95. All the same and all drinkable. But gin by itself, no thanks.

(Unless talking about some of the fancy fruity types, but that's a different story).

And nobody drinks rum straight either. Know anyone that just sips a glass of rum? Is it just for mixing up fruity girl drinks?

I do. I'm usually a Bourbon and Canadian Whisky drinker but I do switch over to rum every so often. I have very little experience in the rum world, but my personal favourites so far are the El Dorado 8 year and the Noxx & Dunn 2-4-5. Both of them are pretty nice sippers for me.

Rarely buy liquor but oftentimes my friends will pour me a glass or ten.

Recent had Swiss gin with a traveler and it was to die for. Used to be one of those guys who didn’t think gin was good but this was great.

gin-basilisk-dry-gin-50cl-44.jpg

images

Have a few tonics or mixed with passion fruit/lychee juice when I get back at night and start cooking. That’s daily vodka for me and the gal.

When I have a special occasion or company, I’ll bust out Belvedere or the Polish Grass Vodka, my cousin brings me from Poland. (I still have a few bottles I saved).

images

Last edited:
8146C833-82AC-4178-AE3C-E870F8BD5C3C.jpeg 1D779A0C-A914-470B-AAAF-67CE05C2EB84.jpeg I love gin. And I don’t make my martinis super dry, because to me it’s not really a martini—it’s a glass of cold gin. You’ll find a lot of differences in styles of gin. These 2 are my favorites.

If you're a fan of Laphroaig and the pete smoke flavour, Talisker are another Islay Scotch I really enjoy.
Talisker 10 might be my favourite scotch, prefer it to Lagavulin 16.

I bought a bottle of rum from the distillery I visited in La Palma last year, its too good for mixing so I drink that neat, usually when the weather's warm.

I havent had spirits in twelve years. Id break that run in a heartbeat to sip on an ancient scotch, no rocks. Ive heard firsthand that its smooth as buttah. Id also try absinthe if it was planted in front of my face.

Tequila
Good tequila reposado is fine sippin licker. Not that Cuervo shit.
Also some good mezcal(all tequila is mezcal but not all mezcal is tequila) is great sippin liquor. There was bartender who made me a drink mixed with mezcal, agave, cucumber, and ginger. I can’t get it all to gel like that but when I have mezcal I usually attempt to recreate it

Blanton's Irish whiskey is my jam. I don't drink often but I love this stuff! Straight with no rocks...

Blantons-Straight-from-the-Barrel.jpg

Jack on the rocks....when the bar does not have world class NE IPAs.

Tequila
Good tequila reposado is fine sippin licker. Not that Cuervo shit.
Also some good mezcal(all tequila is mezcal but not all mezcal is tequila) is great sippin liquor. There was bartender who made me a drink mixed with mezcal, agave, cucumber, and ginger. I can’t get it all to gel like that but when I have mezcal I usually attempt to recreate it
Definitely no Cuervo. I like a decent reposado or anejo. My usual habit for drinking is to make cocktails, so I like to break out the tequila in the summer and make Palomas.

Blanton's Irish whiskey is my jam. I don't drink often but I love this stuff! Straight with no rocks...

That's a Single Barrel Bourbon, not Irish whiskey...

Stick to pruno, CO.

<DisgustingHHH>

That's a Single Barrel Bourbon, not Irish whiskey...

Stick to pruno, CO.

<DisgustingHHH>

Too bad your mom isn't single barrel....hiiiiiiiiooooooooooohhhhh!!!!! I just drink it, I don't try to sell it. It makes me buzzed and tastes like vanilla.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back