Whats wrong with my HOOK?

roundhouse7

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys, the title pretty much says it all. I harden my fist on impact, i make sure my fist it aligned with my elbow yet for some reason my wrist gets hurts when i hook. What am i missing?

PS: I only trained for 2 months, now i left for whole month because of corrective laser eye surgery and now im back. Time is a factor here?

Thanks

Are you turning your fist over? Your hook could really be a slap, and your wrist would be getting bent the wrong way every time.

Curling your fist inwards too much so when it hits the target it's getting bent too far?

Don't expect too much after only 2 months of training.
I found hooks (lead and rear hand) difficult to perform and am only
now satisfied with how I'm throwing them.
Just keep working your technique and having a coach correct mistakes
in your form.

Good luck.

PS: I only trained for 2 months...

Here's your problem.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just constantly practice form, and gradually increase power once you're on the heavy-bag. If you're hurting when you're on the pads as well, then it's definately a technique-issue.

You could try to articulate how you go about throwing your hook, or toss up a vid. It'll be easier to see.

Are you talking about lead or rear hook, long range or short range hook? Is your hand vertical at impact or palm down? Is your elbow parallel with ground and/or in line with the force vector (does your elbow fall in line with the direction of the punch)? Are you torqing your hips, or just turning the waist? Do you raise the heel or stay flat footed?

Those are things we need to know.

You

Last edited:
A video of you throwing your hook would be helpful. There could be a multitude of reasons why your hook is janking your wrist. Most likely you're not turning your hand over completely, and your wrist is moving up.

How do you wrap your hands? Mexican wraps? Gel wraps?

Another reason is that you could have a pussy wrist. Don't worry, my right wrist whines more than a Jet Blue flight attendant. It still get's sore every once in a while, but I've learned to wrap it more effectively and strengthen my forearms. But seeing as you're only two months deep, technique is more likely your issue.

Keep at it, start slow and work up from there. If you don't have a trainer, get one. If you're doing group classes, actively engage the instructor as much as possible. Who cares if people think you're an ass kisser; your wrist won't hurt anymore. ;)

Good luck!

After only 2 months your wrist may not have developed enough to yet to handle the power in your hooks.

You might have wrist tendonitis

I have that in my right hand when I throw a cross

After only 2 months your wrist may not have developed enough to yet to handle the power in your hooks.

I'd guess this is it. Probably doesn't punch hard enough to hurt his wrists with the other punches, but when he throws a hook his wrist can't take it.

Strengthen your wrists up.. and go easy .. it takes a while before your hands and wrists are used to hitting things.

It may also be from the position of your body relative to the target. If your wrists aren't strong yet, it may be a good idea to focus on this. It is generally good to try to hit an object (bag or person) with a hook when the surface is in front of your non-punching hand. When the target is too close to the punching shoulder, the wrist must bend more to make good contact. Same thing happens if the target is too far over. Aiming to keep the target opposite the non-punching shoulder will take some of the strain off of your wrist.

Hope this helps. Don't be discouraged.

I post this again here, in case you don't read the other one any more. :p

If the point of impact on your knuckles isn't straight on (full contact w/ four knuckles), and is hitting the target a little off, your wrist actually bends at the moment of impact to align itself with the bag (flat surface on flat surface) and the tightened forearm muscles stabilizing your fist/wrist will get stretched/strained.

I would try to consciously make sure all four knuckles are contacting straight on the bag and do wrist strengthening exercises advised above.

antfarm612 brings up a good point, if you are arm punching or slapping with your hook, then you're more likely to impact the wrong way.

keep your wrist straight and TENSE (don't listen to this stay-relaxed nonsense), and practice hitting a heavy bag as hard as you can. Or hit something with a hook when you're already angry, for some reason-- you'll find that your wrist naturally tightens the right way.

keep your wrist straight and TENSE (don't listen to this stay-relaxed nonsense), and practice hitting a heavy bag as hard as you can. Or hit something with a hook when you're already angry, for some reason-- you'll find that your wrist naturally tightens the right way.

It's all fun and games until you throw a hard hook into a wall and your wrist is fine but your knuckle isn't :)

just take it easy until you got the technique down. dont go trying to bang the bags if you know you're gonna fuck up your wrist

Be careful if it really hurts each time....after a weeks it should go away unless you really have a wrist issue. As everyone else said you need to keep practicing on the bag/focus gloves/maybe some light sparring with a friend.

Iv trained over 10 years off and on muay thai and still feel my left hook is not what it could be

Great replies guys.
For those who asked, usually il be hooking after the typical 1 - 2, i do tense my fist, tend to make sure elbow aligned with my fist and my foot does twist with the hook.

As for
If the point of impact on your knuckles isn't straight on (full contact w/ four knuckles), and is hitting the target a little off, your wrist actually bends at the moment of impact to align itself with the bag (flat surface on flat surface) and the tightened forearm muscles stabilizing your fist/wrist will get stretched/strained.

Come to think of it i think only my 2 biggest nuckles hit on impact but il make sure next time; however i dont think thats the prob.

And sorry i forgot to mention, the problem is only with my left hook, not bothered so much with my right.

Thanks

I have cheap gloves, so my thumb will stick straight out farther than my knuckles in the glove. If I hit the wrong way (thumb first), it will jam all the way down to the wrist. The thumb doesnt hurt, but the wrist does.

Thats what happens to me, at least.

Back