what's with this bar?

Wasn't his descend a bit quick and uncontrolled? If he lets the thigh and calf contact be the primary breaking power that stops his descend he is doing baaad things to his knees...

.....uh oh....

Kinda looked like he was bouncing out of the hole to me.

.....uh oh....

Stop that! I'm not arguing against ATG - trust me, I almost touch the floor. :)

Just asking - this is from EXRX.NET's squat analysis (pro ATG):

The primary danger to the knee occurs when the tissues of the calf and thigh press together altering the center of rotation back to the contact area creating a dislocation effect. The danger of knee injury in this situation may be prevented if either of the following factor are present:
  • center of gravity of the body system is keep forward of the altered center of rotation
  • muscles of the thigh are strong enough to prevent the body from resting or bouncing on the calves.

A lot of people drop fast in the squat. Shane Hamman looked like he was trying to break the floor with his ass on the descent with over a 1000 pounds on his back. A lot of oly lifters bounce hard in the hole too.

Alright, I withdraw my question :D

I'm just super careful with my knees - one of the few things I haven't had any problems with yet.

Alright, I withdraw my question :D

I'm just super careful with my knees - one of the few things I haven't had any problems with yet.

I think it's just one of those things, that while from a biomechanic perspective might not be the safest or best, works for a lot of really strong people. Most sports scientisty types would shit their pants if they saw all of us Zercher dealifting because of the back rounding.

I do ATG with a bit of a bounce out of the hole. Its never given me any problems (knock on wood). I see Oly lifters bounce a good amount so I thought it was safe. Maybe I'll try to lessen the bounce next squat day and see what it feels like.

Yikes.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ca7jy7QcFGE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ca7jy7QcFGE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"Whooo!"

thats one strong jew, lol

back to the bar, i have never seen that before

Back