What's with these new champs passing number one contenders for "money fights"

When did they matter?
Not too long ago, at least they tried to keep an illusion that there is some kind of sport and competition going on. Again, it is about the money, but you have to balance it out with some kind of system of competition.
There are really just a couple of real "money fights" in UFC, now everybody who grabs the belt is going to call out guys who are not even ranked. It's suicidal for the business in a long run, and is pathetic to watch.

Why wouldn't a fighter want the "money fight"?

Does it make sense that Woodley can make more money fighting Nick Diaz than he would fighting Wonderboy? Not only is Diaz an easier opponent, he also makes him more money. So lets stop blaming the fighters and instead blame the organization itself for creating a system like this. The belts are fun and all, but at the end of the day they really are nothing more than a promotional tool, although a tool that can get the fighters more $.

Not too long ago, at least they tried to keep an illusion that there is some kind of sport and competition going on. Again, it is about the money, but you have to balance it out with some kind of system of competition.
There are really just a couple of real "money fights" in UFC, now everybody who grabs the belt is going to call out guys who are not even ranked. It's suicidal for the business in a long run, and is pathetic to watch.
You do realize there's a difference between Woodley calling out Diaz and a fight actually happening, right?

I don't think anyone doesn't wanna see fighters get paid more, people are just tired of nobodies (relatively speaking, guys like Woodley aren't well known) yapping about money fights without realizing that big names and fights are built, not spoken into reality just because they say it's a "money fight."

You do realize there's a difference between Woodley calling out Diaz and a fight actually happening, right?
I hope so, but nothing would surprise me anymore. Just look at these past few months.

To me, it shows that they're not confident that they will stay champ long. They know their time is limited so they want cash in on it. If they were really confident in their ability to remain the champ, then they would fight everyone put in front of them, and eventually those big money fights would come naturally. They just want to rush that process, before they lose, and lose all their leverage.

I hope so, but nothing would surprise me anymore. Just look at these past few months.
First off, I think Diaz wants no part of Woodley. Also, isn't he retired?

Second, I doubt Dana wants to put up with the headache of Diaz in a titlefight unless it's a real blockbuster like vs GSP.

Perhaps, although the only impressive thing she has done is beat a rusty Zingano. I don't really care to see Pena get victimised by Nunes.

Yea but it's just as good as what Miesha did to earn her shot and it blows away anything Val has done. Her argument is one win against Holm and I beat the champ in round 3.

Yea but it's just as good as what Miesha did to earn her shot and it blows away anything Val has done. Her argument is one win against Holm and I beat the champ in round 3.
Beating an active former champion over 5 rounds is more impressive than beating Zingano coming off a humiliating loss and a 15 month layoff. Jessica Eye isn't a significant win.

What can you say about life, people want to make money. He's hardly the first and not the last either. It's the fight business, you get in, get paid and get out. Woodley is 34 he doesn't have long at the very top, hell he might get KOed in his next fight. He knows this so while he is the champ he wants to make some money before the inevitable happens. Good for him as far as i am concerned.

I would take $$$ fights over contenders. You wouldn't?

Beating an active former champion over 5 rounds is more impressive than beating Zingano coming off a humiliating loss and a 15 month layoff. Jessica Eye isn't a significant win.

Yea if she had more then Holm I'd agree but just beating one person isn't enough to negate someone on like a seven fight win streak. Penas earned it she's put in the time Val can take another fight and ft a few wins together.

Everyone thinks they're fucking Conor nowadays. Sad and pathetic when they have no name value.

No, they don't think they are Conor... they realize rankings are irrelevant and money fights pay. Blame the UFC for not following rankings.

First Bisping and now Woodley.

Its pretty simple. Get a fight with another large name & you make more money. 1-2 million in ppv sales vs 50k or 100k whatever your normal contract is for

It's bullshit really, it's hurting the authenticity of the sport if the Champs are choosing who they want to fight. If ur the champ u take on anyone because when u have the belt u are saying u are the best of the best and it doesn't matter who u fight. When the champ starts choosing who he wants to fight it makes them look like they are ducking. Just my opinion

I agree with much of this. Rematches are rarely deserved, but a split dec win over a champion deserves one if ANYTHING does.

Henderson is ranked 13. Bisping is champion. That makes NO SENSE AT ALL. "Revenge matches" are fine--but not when you're a champ and the guy you want revenge against is not in the top 10. It's history. Get over it and defend against guys who deserve it.

Rankings are subjective. Look at dans record. Every fight was against elite competition. Maybe yhe best roster of opponents out of anyone ever

(That said, i dont count his biggest win as legitimate. Fedor knocked him out, herb let him recover and stopped it immediately when the emperor was stunned. Was a weak stoppage so i dont count it)

Back