What's with these new champs passing number one contenders for "money fights"

Bisping was a late injury replacement and was the highest ranked guy available. Tyron Woodley isn't a money fight..

Superfights should be RARE and they should be EARNED. Diaz v. Conor is not a superfight--Diaz was knocked out by Josh Thomson and isn't exactly at the top of his division. It's a payday for the UFC. Good for them for making money, but in the long-term it seems smarter to try and honor rankings, build new stars, and bring legitimacy to the sport... Or else we should just put Kimbo Jr. in against Dada 5000 on bypass for a quick payday.

It's not a superfight because Connie wasn't really competitive with some guy on 2 weeks notice and no training. Connie is about the biggest ducker UFC has.

Everyone thinks they're fucking Conor nowadays. Sad and pathetic when they have no name value.

money fights = fights fans want to see and no matter what the money fight with exception to henderson is against a top guy. can't say Diaz is not as good as any welterweight on planet, he was suspended due to BS . to me it makes sense

These guys just fight who the UFC tells them to. Just because they call someone out on Twitter, doesn't mean that's who they are going to fight. Otherwise, Conor McGregor and Michael Bisping would have to fight on every card.

Dominick Cruz - Had a controversial split dec win over Dillashaw in a very competitive fight. I thought TJ took it--but it was close. In the world of 'immediate rematches' I'm shocked that TJ wasn't offered one. Weidman, Rousey, Velasquez, etc. were all FINISHED--yet they were offered rematches. TJ lost split dec and was denied. Cruz opted to fight a fading Faber--and now wants to fight outside of his division, effectively ducking TJ who just beat Assuncao who is ranked top three in the world. WHAT? Cruz has had ONE title defense and now he's bailing on the division leaving everyone in the lurch and ducking TJ (and all other contenders).

I thought Cruz took it. But I agree when everybody wanted a rematch, Dillashaw was the most deserving. (it would be Aldo only for he would have being out for a while after that KO) I really enjoyed Cruz' footwork and how he lured people in and tagged them. It's a formula that is very effective, but it's same old, same old. It's not his fault his opponents can't figure him out and put out a game plan to beat him so far.

Conor McGregor - We all know this story. No point in rehashing it too much. He bailed on his division. Never defended the belt. Considering that he's fighting this coming month, it'll likely be another four months before he fights again. That puts us around a YEAR since he defended the title. They had to invent an interim title for the division he's supposed to be champion of--despite Conor being in perfect health.

Well, you left out the part where he won the belt and was due to fight for the LW belt only for dos Anjos to get injured. He could have sat out 189 and waited for his title shot - same with dos Anjos. In terms of the belt being active, the scenario played out the way it did. And whether you like him or not, you can't say he doesn't deserve to ask for the rematch. He brings in the crowds and does good PPV buys.

Michael Bisping - Could have fought anyone in the top 10 of his elite division. Rockhold beat him once and was caught in round one. Could do a rubber match. Weidman lost his shot due to neck surgery. Could have fought Weidman. Perhaps the worst was Jacare who Bisping openly told would get the next title shot--only for Bisping to seek out Henderson. Remember, Bisping falsely accused Rockhold of dodging Jacare (Jacare admitted he wasn't going to take the Rockhold fight anyway)--and during the press conference denied Rockhold a rematch and said Jacare was deserving. However, behind closed doors, Bisping sought Dan Henderson who isn't even ranked in the top 10, loses more than he wins, and hasn't had a decent top 10 victory in some time. I like the idea of Henderson knocking out Bisping again as much as the next guy, but that doesn't change the fact that Bisping is running from the most elite of his division.

That fight will do well if it's held in Manchester and there's the revenge factor of Bisping getting one back over Henderson - especially when he was on TRT for the first fight. Jacare was offered the fight with Rockhold and couldn't take it through injury, but Bisping did and it paid off.

Woodley's business acumen is daft. Trying to get on 202 against Diaz when he knows himself that sr and jr won't fight on the same card. He's only won the belt and is trying to call the shots. And with GSP we don't know if he's going down to LW, WW or even MW. I think the UFC will pen him in to fight Thompson.

The only fighter who is going to earn the above PPV points/more money - depending on what their contracts are, is Conor. Obviously why Woodley is calling for the Diaz fight. It's no harm putting the idea out there, but there's also over-valuing yourself.

The BW division has grown a little bit since Cruz came back. Again, it's probably a question of getting on a card headlined by Conor if he wants to get more money. I think like Woodley, he'll probably fight Caraway or Dillashaw next.

There's also the chance that Rousey comes back and that'll make a lot of PPV buys.For some fighter's the belt increases their pay and raises their profile. But if they can't get the PPV numbers that's required for them to earn PPV points, that's probably as far as it'll get them. Maybe more sponsorship.

Cruz,and Woodley I don't think will headline a PPV. Bisping is and there will be a lot of interest in that fight despite Henderson having no business getting a title shot. At the end of it all, if it makes money for the UFC, the belts mean sweet FA.

Yes, how dare these fighters care about themselves. They should care more about the fans. The real MMA fans, who treat fighters like video game characters and will shit on and discard fighters as soon as there's one second of adversity.

Go fuck yourselves, seriously.

Eh I think Pena deserves it more anyways.
Perhaps, although the only impressive thing she has done is beat a rusty Zingano. I don't really care to see Pena get victimised by Nunes.

If they don't wan't to fight the #1 contenders, strip them of the title.

UFC is less and less a sport org and more an entertainment org.
Having the best fight the best is not interesting for them, it s a popularity contest now.

Of course it's all about the money, but you got to keep some kind of context of sport going or this turns into a circus.
A new champion in his post fight interview openly dismisses fight with #1 contender, calling out Nick Diaz or GSP? It's going out of control.
Guess what, if rankings don't mean shit anymore, neither your belt does. Let's go all the way, it's all about the money, right? Conor & Ronda vs Brock in NY, I'm sure it breaks records.

The UFC needs to institute a new rule: Before having funfights, money fights, alternate division fights, or superfights--the current champion should defend his belt a minimum of three or four times. This is getting out of hand.

Currently we have four champions who are doing all that they can to avoid fighting anybody in the top ten of their respective divisions.

Dominick Cruz - Had a controversial split dec win over Dillashaw in a very competitive fight. I thought TJ took it--but it was close. In the world of 'immediate rematches' I'm shocked that TJ wasn't offered one. Weidman, Rousey, Velasquez, etc. were all FINISHED--yet they were offered rematches. TJ lost split dec and was denied. Cruz opted to fight a fading Faber--and now wants to fight outside of his division, effectively ducking TJ who just beat Assuncao who is ranked top three in the world. WHAT? Cruz has had ONE title defense and now he's bailing on the division leaving everyone in the lurch and ducking TJ (and all other contenders).

Conor McGregor - We all know this story. No point in rehashing it too much. He bailed on his division. Never defended the belt. Considering that he's fighting this coming month, it'll likely be another four months before he fights again. That puts us around a YEAR since he defended the title. They had to invent an interim title for the division he's supposed to be champion of--despite Conor being in perfect health.

Michael Bisping - Could have fought anyone in the top 10 of his elite division. Rockhold beat him once and was caught in round one. Could do a rubber match. Weidman lost his shot due to neck surgery. Could have fought Weidman. Perhaps the worst was Jacare who Bisping openly told would get the next title shot--only for Bisping to seek out Henderson. Remember, Bisping falsely accused Rockhold of dodging Jacare (Jacare admitted he wasn't going to take the Rockhold fight anyway)--and during the press conference denied Rockhold a rematch and said Jacare was deserving. However, behind closed doors, Bisping sought Dan Henderson who isn't even ranked in the top 10, loses more than he wins, and hasn't had a decent top 10 victory in some time. I like the idea of Henderson knocking out Bisping again as much as the next guy, but that doesn't change the fact that Bisping is running from the most elite of his division.

Tyron Woodley - Perhaps the most egregious--or at least the most recent--Tyron told Wonderboy that he didn't want to fight him--instead he wanted to fight Nick Diaz who hasn't won since 2011 and is unranked. Oh, or maybe a retired guy like GSP. Ironically, Tyron was granted a title shot after an 18 month vacation--his last victory coming over a lower-ranked Kevin Gastelum in a split decision. Tyron was ranked fourth when he got his shot. Now, the last time Tyron lost, it was to Rory MacDonald. Who just beat Rory MacDonald? Oh, right, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson. Wonderboy also beat the guy who Tyron never fought, Johny Hendricks, in the first round. Wonderboy beat both 1 & 2 ranked guys with relative ease. There is a good argument to be made that Thompson deserved this shot much more than Woodley. Yet, here Woodley is--after 18 months off--trying to pick his fights and denying a guy who actually WORKED for a title shot over the last year. Wonderboy is currently riding a 7 fight win streak, has only lost once (long ago before his game was as refined), and hasn't lost since 2013. What reason in the world would the UFC have to grant Woodley his wish?

Four poor excuses for champions. At least Conor and Dominick are somewhat challenging themselves--Bisping and Woodley are actively looking for fights with guys who aren't even ranked in the top 10 of any division. I get that there is more money to be made in other 'superfights'--but if the UFC isn't going to respect any rankings or the belts, what is the point? Nate Diaz is making more sense by the day--and that's frightening.

Superfights should be RARE and they should be EARNED. Diaz v. Conor is not a superfight--Diaz was knocked out by Josh Thomson and isn't exactly at the top of his division. It's a payday for the UFC. Good for them for making money, but in the long-term it seems smarter to try and honor rankings, build new stars, and bring legitimacy to the sport... Or else we should just put Kimbo Jr. in against Dada 5000 on bypass for a quick payday.
You forget Eddie Alvarez to, wanr to fifht winner of nate vs Diaz.

Yup I get annoyed by al this shi*, I don't care about money fights I care about fighters who work there way up the rankings to get in position to fight regardless of if they have a a super personality or not, If there good enough they should get first crack at belt unless the top 5 are injured or just recently lost a title shot then it should go to next best choice or if its a last minute fight i.e when bispin stood in for Weidman or nate stood in for dos anjos. Please go on the rankings or scrap them completely and just allow everyone to hire themselves a wwe trainer and develop a cool persona to get themselves a title shot regardless of how good you are currently.

is this how the ALI ACT will be?

Back