What's with these new champs passing number one contenders for "money fights"

Conor just showed the other fighters in the UFC the Promised Land and now they are all going there.

It is the money fight era now.

Wouldn't have happened if fighter pay blah blah.

remove conor from that list

the ducks:

bisping
woodley
alvarez
cruz
nunes

I agree but Tyron wasn't granted a title shot for beating Gastelum he got the title shot because Hendricks was a fat fuck and Dana white actually kept a promise.
It's great that he "kept a promise"--but that promise should have never been made. At the very least, it should have had an expiration date on it. Regardless, what's done is done and he really needs to fight Wonderboy next.

No, the UFC doesn't need to institute a new rule. They just have to make meaningful fights. There's not much to it, really. No use for rules.

It's great that he "kept a promise"--but that promise should have never been made. At the very least, it should have had an expiration date on it. Regardless, what's done is done and he really needs to fight Wonderboy next.

Blame Dana White for all of this then. Starting with Conor he allowed this shit to happen.

No, the UFC doesn't need to institute a new rule. They just have to make meaningful fights. There's not much to it, really. No use for rules.

This rule would require a champion to defend. Every defense against a top contender is a meaningful fight. Disagree with the rule, but the spirit of the idea is that champs should defend a couple times before running for the hills with the belts.

The UFC needs to institute a new rule: Before having funfights, money fights, alternate division fights, or superfights--the current champion should defend his belt a minimum of three or four times. This is getting out of hand.

Currently we have four champions who are doing all that they can to avoid fighting anybody in the top ten of their respective divisions.

Dominick Cruz - Had a controversial split dec win over Dillashaw in a very competitive fight. I thought TJ took it--but it was close. In the world of 'immediate rematches' I'm shocked that TJ wasn't offered one. Weidman, Rousey, Velasquez, etc. were all FINISHED--yet they were offered rematches. TJ lost split dec and was denied. Cruz opted to fight a fading Faber--and now wants to fight outside of his division, effectively ducking TJ who just beat Assuncao who is ranked top three in the world. WHAT? Cruz has had ONE title defense and now he's bailing on the division leaving everyone in the lurch and ducking TJ (and all other contenders).

Conor McGregor - We all know this story. No point in rehashing it too much. He bailed on his division. Never defended the belt. Considering that he's fighting this coming month, it'll likely be another four months before he fights again. That puts us around a YEAR since he defended the title. They had to invent an interim title for the division he's supposed to be champion of--despite Conor being in perfect health.

Michael Bisping - Could have fought anyone in the top 10 of his elite division. Rockhold beat him once and was caught in round one. Could do a rubber match. Weidman lost his shot due to neck surgery. Could have fought Weidman. Perhaps the worst was Jacare who Bisping openly told would get the next title shot--only for Bisping to seek out Henderson. Remember, Bisping falsely accused Rockhold of dodging Jacare (Jacare admitted he wasn't going to take the Rockhold fight anyway)--and during the press conference denied Rockhold a rematch and said Jacare was deserving. However, behind closed doors, Bisping sought Dan Henderson who isn't even ranked in the top 10, loses more than he wins, and hasn't had a decent top 10 victory in some time. I like the idea of Henderson knocking out Bisping again as much as the next guy, but that doesn't change the fact that Bisping is running from the most elite of his division.

Tyron Woodley - Perhaps the most egregious--or at least the most recent--Tyron told Wonderboy that he didn't want to fight him--instead he wanted to fight Nick Diaz who hasn't won since 2011 and is unranked. Oh, or maybe a retired guy like GSP. Ironically, Tyron was granted a title shot after an 18 month vacation--his last victory coming over a lower-ranked Kevin Gastelum in a split decision. Tyron was ranked fourth when he got his shot. Now, the last time Tyron lost, it was to Rory MacDonald. Who just beat Rory MacDonald? Oh, right, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson. Wonderboy also beat the guy who Tyron never fought, Johny Hendricks, in the first round. Wonderboy beat both 1 & 2 ranked guys with relative ease. There is a good argument to be made that Thompson deserved this shot much more than Woodley. Yet, here Woodley is--after 18 months off--trying to pick his fights and denying a guy who actually WORKED for a title shot over the last year. Wonderboy is currently riding a 7 fight win streak, has only lost once (long ago before his game was as refined), and hasn't lost since 2013. What reason in the world would the UFC have to grant Woodley his wish?

Four poor excuses for champions. At least Conor and Dominick are somewhat challenging themselves--Bisping and Woodley are actively looking for fights with guys who aren't even ranked in the top 10 of any division. I get that there is more money to be made in other 'superfights'--but if the UFC isn't going to respect any rankings or the belts, what is the point? Nate Diaz is making more sense by the day--and that's frightening.

Superfights should be RARE and they should be EARNED. Diaz v. Conor is not a superfight--Diaz was knocked out by Josh Thomson and isn't exactly at the top of his division. It's a payday for the UFC. Good for them for making money, but in the long-term it seems smarter to try and honor rankings, build new stars, and bring legitimacy to the sport... Or else we should just put Kimbo Jr. in against Dada 5000 on bypass for a quick payday.
Not Conor's fault RDA ducked him. That was the super fight. Also not Conor's fault he was pulled from 200.

Tyrone should have no say in his next opponent as wonder boy should have had the shot before him.

Cruz had unfinished business.

Bisping wants revenge. Should have been jacare

Not Conor's fault RDA ducked him. That was the super fight. Also not Conor's fault he was pulled from 200.

Tyrone should have no say in his next opponent as wonder boy should have had the shot before him.

Cruz had unfinished business.

Bisping wants revenge. Should have been jacare
RDA was injured. Not really a duck. Whatever. He was subbed by Diaz anyway.

Tyron - agree.

Cruz - bull. His unfinished business was with TJ. The one-sided affair with Urijah was something nobody needed to see.

Bisping - Wanted revenge, but promised Jac. Jacare deserved it. Bisping lied and ducked.

I agree with you. The problem is that the UFC also wants this "big money fights" that let champions duck the most deserving opponent. So I can't see it changing anytime soon.

This rule would require a champion to defend. Every defense against a top contender is a meaningful fight. Disagree with the rule, but the spirit of the idea is that champs should defend a couple times before running for the hills with the belts.

Then make that meaningful fight. Doesn't have to be a rule, just do it. Or don't do it. Most people obviosly don't care if it's the certified #1 contender getting the title shot, and I'm fine with that.

Cruz hasnt lost in like 7 years. He didnt lose his title, he was injured. Dont call it a come back, he never left.

Immediate rematches are stupid and RARELY deserved. Think about it in other sports. Are we to rematch superbowls the next week just cause?

Henderson vs bisping makes sense. Dan is a legend and bisping wants to avenge the loss, no issues there.

Cain is a racist turd. If he wasnt mexican with brown pride on his chest he would be ben rothwell.

Conor is a fraud (ive been saying it the whole time) he got lucky and he knows it. Thats why he wont fight 145 again. Doesnt wanna be exposed.

As far as woodley, the guy wants alittle security blanket. Wants a big payday. I get it but wonderboy deserves it

Don't forget Nunes ducking the Val rematch.

Ducking a girl she 29-27d and nearly finished a couple months ago lol

I do favor Valentina in a 5 rounder but Pena makes more sense if u wanna use her wanting to fight Honda instead of the rightful next challenger.

RDA was injured. Not really a duck. Whatever. He was subbed by Diaz anyway.

Tyron - agree.

Cruz - bull. His unfinished business was with TJ. The one-sided affair with Urijah was something nobody needed to see.

Bisping - Wanted revenge, but promised Jac. Jacare deserved it. Bisping lied and ducked.
Bisping isn't top dog and knows it. He's trying to keep it for as long as possible. He sold the hendo story well enough, hendo is a legend, and everyone likes a Cinderella story (hendo going out on top).

Cruz didn't duck shit. He beat TJ. He had unfinished business with Uriah. It was 1-1 and they were supposed to fight before his knee injury. I agree TJ is cruz's only challenge.

Then make that meaningful fight. Doesn't have to be a rule, just do it. Or don't do it. Most people obviosly don't care if it's the certified #1 contender getting the title shot, and I'm fine with that.
Doesn't always have to be the number one contender--but Christ. All these guys are aiming for dudes who are not even in the top 10 of their divisions.

Back