What's with Hopkins being so racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hypothetically speaking, say that there are two different groups in a certain town and you had to pick one group to join.

Group A people:

can be made fun of
make more money
are less likely to go to jail
get better interest rates

Group B people:

make less money
are more likely to be in jail
pay more to borrow money
BUT THEY CAN'T BE TEASED.

which group would you want to be a part of?

You're acting as if making money, going to jail, or getting better interest rates are random events. They're not. White people are more likely to pursue more lucrative jobs, so they earn more money. (Hint: if higher earnings imply discrimination, then why do NE Asians and Jews outearn White Gentiles on average? Do these groups "discriminate" against Gentile White people, or do they earn their higher income?)

Likewise, people aren't just tossed into prison, they go to jail for commiting crimes. Frame-ups happen, but are relatively rare (the fact that prisons are such hellholes implies that most of the people "selected" for imprisonment earned their stay). Studies that control for all of the sentencing variables tend to find little to no racial discrimination in the legal process, although jurors do relate better to victims that share their racial background. If The Man's framing People of Color, then how do NE Asian men avoid prison at higher rates than Whitey himself?

Finally, studies that take default rates into account find little evidence for credit discrimination. In fact, when the government passed the Community Reinvestment Act, a law which forces banks to loan money to people (usually minorities) with poor credit history, they accelerated the subprime mortgage crisis that's now affecting the entire world. And ended up hurting the people they were trying to help.

Even if your points were valid, that doesn't give Hopkins a free pass for bigotry. Why couldn't he have found a more clever way to belittle Zag if he's just selling tickets? And would that give Zag a free pass to do the same?

One more thing about this issue.

I think many people are too quick to assume that Hopkins' comments are simply a matter of selling more tickets. The problem here is that some (many?) Black people get upset when a top Black fighter loses to a "white boy", and often turn against that boxer. This might be Hopkins' way of assuring some of his Black fans that he won't "disgrace" them like Jermain did*.

Hopefully, Hopkins will have to do some 'splaining after the fight.

*My opinion: everyone should be applauding both Kelly and Jermain for their effort and sportsmanship during their two fights. I wish to God that more athletes shared their character...

Why doesn't Calzaghe go ahead and call B-Hop a n****r, that would be sure to attract attention to this fight.

:rolleyes:

it sure would, and i would be happy to see him say it. i dont get upset as easy as most people. btw, bhop didn't call calzaghe a honkey, so a more even comeback would be black boy or something equivalent.

u guys want political correctness in boxing? please, everything about boxing is not PC, it two guys punching each other in the face, with their fans, countries all backing them, and bhop is playing into that, drawing more fans to wanna watch due to his ignorant comments. look at how many people are upset.

bhop can't really draw anymore, and joe c is unknown to the US public for the most part.

if they shake hands and suck each others dick about how great the other person is, no one will watch this fight.

*coughillsayitagaincuznobodyheardmecough*

it's like the guys an ex-con or somethin'.

One more thing about this issue.

I think many people are too quick to assume that Hopkins' comments are simply a matter of selling more tickets. The problem here is that some (many?) Black people get upset when a top Black fighter loses to a "white boy", and often turn against that boxer. This might be Hopkins' way of assuring some of his Black fans that he won't "disgrace" them like Jermain did*.

Hopefully, Hopkins will have to do some 'splaining after the fight.

*My opinion: everyone should be applauding both Kelly and Jermain for their effort and sportsmanship during their two fights. I wish to God that more athletes shared their character...

lol, i dont think black people get more upset if their fighter loses to a white guy. this is more ignorant than what bhop said.

if you believe what you do, then u must really believe bhop hates puerto rico and loves stomping on flags too.

its a ploy to sell tickets, just like pbf does, just like DLH said black guys can't take it to the body, just like the fake face slap bhop did to winky.

you got bhop and Joe C fighting, you gotta do something to sell tickets and get your name/fight in the big media outlets, cause bhop vs joe c isn't gonna do it by itself.

it sure would, and i would be happy to see him say it. i dont get upset as easy as most people. btw, bhop didn't call calzaghe a honkey, so a more even comeback would be black boy or something equivalent.

u guys want political correctness in boxing? please, everything about boxing is not PC, it two guys punching each other in the face, with their fans, countries all backing them, and bhop is playing into that, drawing more fans to wanna watch due to his ignorant comments. look at how many people are upset.

bhop can't really draw anymore, and joe c is unknown to the US public for the most part.

if they shake hands and suck each others dick about how great the other person is, no one will watch this fight.

I'm glad that Zag didn't sink to Hopkins' level, but I have to admit that Hopkins is putting money into Joe's piggybank, so Slappy himself is probably grateful for the comments.

during DLH vs. floyd, people there live heard DLH's manager telling floyd to play the crowd even more, to get more crass and rude.

sad, but this crap sells fights, it gets people interested, how many people saw pbf's fights hoping he gets his brains bashed in... i'd say about 70%

lol, i dont think black people get more upset if their fighter loses to a white guy. this is more ignorant than what bhop said..

Well, I did say some black people. And my opinion was formed by what Black friends told me directly after the fight, and by what I read on the internet. Just one man's anecdotes: take it or leave it.

I'll bet if someone asked Jermain about it he'd agree with me.

cant say they arent entitled :icon_chee

I didn't want to get into this argument but hearing you repeatedly say things like this has reeled me in.

Your argument that blacks (read: African American blacks) are "entitled" to say whatever they so choose about caucasians is probably based on the fact that in this country African Americans were held as slaves.

Yes, we understand that the ancestors of modern African Americans endured centuries of hardship and injustice, and we all understand this as a great moral tragedy.

Now, if in the year 2008 the plan is to allow African Americans to be "entitled" to say what they want to a certain racial or ethnic group, perhaps we should limit this free speech to be directed only against those caucasians who participated in the slave trade. Well, they're all dead.

All white people in this country are still indirectly guilty for this heinous crime and should bear the moral and financial burden their ancestors decided to dump upon them by enslaving Africans several centuries ago you say?

Even if this is not true, the ancestors of white slave traders are still responsible for the current socio-economic status (or lack there-of) of the African American people and thus should be subject to a double standard of free speech? Well, this logic is flawed on many levels and is beyond ridiculous, but let's run with it------All ancestors of slave traders will have to endure the double standard of free speech that you have approved.

Of course, that greatly limits the amount of white people we're talking about here. This is a country of 300 million people, most of whose ancestors were immigrants. Many of these immigrants arrived after the abolition of slavery and thus many, many caucasians that live in the United States have no ancestors that participated directly or in-directly in the slave trade.

Is the Italian/Polish family who arrived in 1902 to be subject to this verbal double standard? The German family who arrived in 1887? The Irish family? The Norwegian family?

This doesn't even address the issue of caucasians (complicit though some may have been) living in the Northern states during the time of slavery.

All of these later immigrants and their ancestors are to be subject to any kind of verbal debasement you would see fit to level upon them?

For how long will this double standard be allowed to continue? In the year 2080 will the ancestors of later immigrants from the early 20th century have to endure racial taunts because Anglo/Scotch land owners from Kentucky owned slaves in 1865?

The double standard is a farce.

I thought Hopkirns dad was in the black panthers.
He might still hold the grudge that White America caused his parents.
I don'tblame him(sometimes).

you guys make me lol

this is how i see this all unfolding

all the top people at golden boy meet in a conference room, they have a private conference call with joe c and his people.

they go over whats the best way to promote the fight, what bhop will say, what joe c will say in return. they get the opinions of their analysts on how much money the fight will generate, what total costs will be and different scenarios they are gonna use if scenario 1 fails to generate interest in the fight. then they all clap and wish each other luck, cause they are gonna rake in millions of dollars total off ppv, gate and advertising.

In Hopkins' case, it is clearly a marketing ploy being used to put asses in seats and generate revenue for the fight. That is crystal clear.

My above argument is laid out for those trying to argue for the justification of a double standard.

i wasn't talking to you diomedes lol ( i knew which point you were trying to make.)

i was talkign to all the people who think hopkins is a racist for saying whiteboy.

boxing is a business, if you had millions of dollars invested in a fight, would'nt go in with a plan on how to promote the fight, and what the fighters say is part of the plan.

everything imo (i can't say for sure, i dont work for one of the top boxing promoters in the country) is well thought out and planned in advance. it has to be, smart business men don't invest money into stuff that isn't.

and btw, no i dont think black people should get a pass of reverse racism either, im just saying that there is a double standard and black people do in general get a pass by the majority of america.

I hope the whiteboy beats him, but highly unlikely.

i think joe c wins a dec due to bhop throwing 5 punches a round.

i'll root for bhop however, cause i want the belt to stay with an american.

i wasn't talking to you diomedes lol ( i knew which point you were trying to make.)

i was talkign to all the people who think hopkins is a racist for saying whiteboy.

boxing is a business, if you had millions of dollars invested in a fight, would'nt go in with a plan on how to promote the fight, and what the fighters say is part of the plan.

everything imo (i can't say for sure, i dont work for one of the top boxing promoters in the country) is well thought out and planned in advance. it has to be, smart business men don't invest money into stuff that isn't.

and btw, no i dont think black people should get a pass of reverse racism either, im just saying that there is a double standard and black people do in general get a pass by the majority of america.

Ah gotcha, and I agree.

If Calzaghe had said "I aint losing to no black man" the world wouldve been in uproar and hed have been murdered by the press. And you all know it.

Racism only applies one way, and no matter what anyone says, thats how itll always be.

That said, I have Calzaghe anyway by KO in the 9th

You're acting as if making money, going to jail, or getting better interest rates are random events. They're not. White people are more likely to pursue more lucrative jobs, so they earn more money. (Hint: if higher earnings imply discrimination, then why do NE Asians and Jews outearn White Gentiles on average? Do these groups "discriminate" against Gentile White people, or do they earn their higher income?)

Likewise, people aren't just tossed into prison, they go to jail for commiting crimes. Frame-ups happen, but are relatively rare (the fact that prisons are such hellholes implies that most of the people "selected" for imprisonment earned their stay). Studies that control for all of the sentencing variables tend to find little to no racial discrimination in the legal process, although jurors do relate better to victims that share their racial background. If The Man's framing People of Color, then how do NE Asian men avoid prison at higher rates than Whitey himself?

Finally, studies that take default rates into account find little evidence for credit discrimination. In fact, when the government passed the Community Reinvestment Act, a law which forces banks to loan money to people (usually minorities) with poor credit history, they accelerated the subprime mortgage crisis that's now affecting the entire world. And ended up hurting the people they were trying to help.

Even if your points were valid, that doesn't give Hopkins a free pass for bigotry. Why couldn't he have found a more clever way to belittle Zag if he's just selling tickets? And would that give Zag a free pass to do the same?

Group A or Group B?:icon_chee

hopkins just trying to draw attention to the fight then again do i think it's right that minorities get more of a pass in the racial slur department? nope. I mean if you want equality you gotta accept all of it, not just what fits. if you're gonna allow hopkins to say that, then there shouldn't be an outcry if Calzaghe say he wont be beaten by a black boy. Unfortunately, it just doesnt work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back