What's with all the homeless people lately?

Obama fixed the economy. Haven't you been listening to Hillary Clinton?

There's a serious lack of empathy in this thread... But that's not unusual for Sherdog.

Or, you know, the human race.

There's a serious lack of empathy in this thread... But that's not unusual for Sherdog.

Or, you know, the human race.
Nah. There are resources for homeless including shelters, job options etc. the safest and most effective way to help homeless is through donations of time or money to organizations like goodwill, food bank, shelters etc.

Problem is that (like others have alreAdy said) more and more homeless are aggressive, violate your personal space, or may not actually be poor.

Many news articles have shown that "homeless" have many options but choose to be aggressive beggars because they make a ton of money from bleeding hearts. They can make 40-100k a year tax free in a city like ny, Houston etc. lots of these homeless are not actually homeless.

Finally many of the homeless are there bc of substance abuse or mental disease. The best way to help them is through helping organized efforts in your local city not through dropping a buck here or there.

It's bad in downtown Houston, imo anyway. I can't step foot outside for minute without some dirty bum asking me for money. It's out of hand.

A few weeks ago, a big one got aggressive with me right in the middle of the street. He was twice my size and didn't like my "no". He actually had the audacity to shoulder check me and told me to "watch it". I came back with "you better watch it". He looked like he was gonna come at me, but backed off when I put my hand under my shirt onto my concealed carry. He looked like he still wanted to hit me, and I told him, "fuck off you homeless piece of shit or I will end you" then he backed off and went on his way. It was a little tense lol but I'm glad I had my protection with me.

True story

Sounds like bullshit. Just saying.

Las Vegas seems like the worst place to be homeless, outside in 100 degrees everyday sounds terrible.

It would be worse somewhere it's cold wouldn't it? I like the cold but that's because I have the option of layering up. If it were hot at least you wouldn't freeze to death. You can usually find some shade at the minimum.

Nah. There are resources for homeless including shelters, job options etc. the safest and most effective way to help homeless is through donations of time or money to organizations like goodwill, food bank, shelters etc.

Problem is that (like others have alreAdy said) more and more homeless are aggressive, violate your personal space, or may not actually be poor.

Many news articles have shown that "homeless" have many options but choose to be aggressive beggars because they make a ton of money from bleeding hearts. They can make 40-100k a year tax free in a city like ny, Houston etc. lots of these homeless are not actually homeless.

Finally many of the homeless are there bc of substance abuse or mental disease. The best way to help them is through helping organized efforts in your local city not through dropping a buck here or there.

All very true.

Doesn't address the extreme lack of empathy shown to those less fortunate and living on the streets. It's one thing to say "you're money is more effective being given to a charity", and a whole other thing to say "Fuck em, they should go get a goddamn job."

It's just easier for people to be angry at the homeless, assert they're lazy or somehow cheating the system. That way, people don't feel so guilty for ignoring them and despising them.

The hostility I see directed towards homeless people never fails to surprise and disappoint me.

I just wish our society was more empathetic in general.

All very true.

Doesn't address the extreme lack of empathy shown to those less fortunate and living on the streets. It's one thing to say "you're money is more effective being given to a charity", and a whole other thing to say "Fuck em, they should go get a goddamn job."

It's just easier for people to be angry at the homeless, assert they're lazy or somehow cheating the system. That way, people don't feel so guilty for ignoring them and despising them.

The hostility I see directed towards homeless people never fails to surprise and disappoint me.

I just wish our society was more empathetic in general.

Hard to find median between chump who gives a buck and frustrated with hanging your personal space and time violated repeatedly. Many of the homeless are aggressive and any eye contact or interaction and they get very telemarketer aggressive. Plus on the weekend here I can get hit up a dozen times just in the morning doing chores alone.

We give a lot. Tithe levels. But refuse to give on street. I ignore all requests but that comes off as Unempathetic as well.

How would you recommend balancing things given empathy and frustration of having your personal space violated repeatedly

When i listen to 2pac's one song where he says "Why the hell do the churches occupy a block of space , let the homeless in, they don't have anywhere to go" i think yeah right.

They would be urinating everywhere and doing drugs, etc, a lot of them have mental issues too.

When i listen to 2pac's one song where he says "Why the hell do the churches occupy a block of space , let the homeless in, they don't have anywhere to go" i think yeah right.

They would be urinating everywhere and doing drugs, etc, a lot of them have mental issues too.

Hey dude #blm too

Sadly it seems like a disproportionate of homeless here are like how you described and minorities.

Hard to find median between chump who gives a buck and frustrated with hanging your personal space and time violated repeatedly. Many of the homeless are aggressive and any eye contact or interaction and they get very telemarketer aggressive. Plus on the weekend here I can get hit up a dozen times just in the morning doing chores alone.

We give a lot. Tithe levels. But refuse to give on street. I ignore all requests but that comes off as Unempathetic as well.

How would you recommend balancing things given empathy and frustration of having your personal space violated repeatedly

I'm not even talking action, but attitude.

It's clear that you're empathetic to the homeless situation, and how you react to it is your choice, but I hear a lot of people speak with real disdain and a clear lack of understanding when it comes to things like the homeless (or addicts or whatever). The conversations don't centre around what method is best to help these people, but instead it's just a circle jerk of blame and misguided hate.

Personally I don't give a fuck if a homeless guy is persistent. Aggression is always uncalled for (even being homeless is no excuse for threatening someone, although as people have said, that behaviour is often tied to mental health issues, exasperated by their situation) but if some guy is desperate for change and actively trying to get it, I don't blame them. They don't have a home. They can be as annoying as they like, it's going to roll off my back... Because I have a roof over my head, food in my kitchen and love in my life. I just can't get angry at someone who is so much less fortunate than I am.

I'm not even talking action, but attitude.

It's clear that you're empathetic to the homeless situation, and how you react to it is your choice, but I hear a lot of people speak with real disdain and a clear lack of understanding when it comes to things like the homeless (or addicts or whatever). The conversations don't centre around what method is best to help these people, but instead it's just a circle jerk of blame and misguided hate.

Personally I don't give a fuck if a homeless guy is persistent. Aggression is always uncalled for (even being homeless is no excuse for threatening someone, although as people have said, that behaviour is often tied to mental health issues, exasperated by their situation) but if some guy is desperate for change and actively trying to get it, I don't blame them. They don't have a home. They can be as annoying as they like, it's going to roll off my back... Because I have a roof over my head, food in my kitchen and love in my life. I just can't get angry at someone who is so much less fortunate than I am.

I agree with everything you say especially your emphasis on gratitude but want to point out one small point of irony. Shouldn't you have empathy for sherdouches who never had parents to teach them gratitude and empathy and don't have insight to change on their own? Shouldn't you apply your recommendations on how to deal with homeless (i.e. Kindness empathy and gratitude) to sherdouches who have less than you?

Here's the balance. We develop engines for cars that run on ground up homeless and long term welfare recipients. Think of all the universally positive effects.

I agree with everything you say especially your emphasis on gratitude but want to point out one small point of irony. Shouldn't you have empathy for sherdouches who never had parents to teach them gratitude and empathy and don't have insight to change on their own? Shouldn't you apply your recommendations on how to deal with homeless (i.e. Kindness empathy and gratitude) to sherdouches who have less than you?

Haha touché.

But to be fair, I don't think I ever passed real judgement at the Sherbros either. Just merely wished it were different. As I said in my very first post, it's a human problem, not really a Sherdog problem.

It's visible in most major political debates. We really struggle to empathise with those who are very different to ourselves. Especially if there is a large geographic distance between us (refugees from war torn countries, for example). But with the homeless, it's merely a large economic distance that's enough for us to completely dehumanise someone and reduce them to a label like "homeless". These labels allow us to forget about the human beneath and brush their misery aside so we don't feel guilty.

Just the other day I was having this conversation with a friend who was genuinely angry at homeless people for "making him feel guilty". That kind of lack of empathy and self centered thinking is exactly what's wrong with our societies. This guy is living a perfectly comfortable life, with a good job, doesn't really want for anything... And yet he gets angry at a guy who's been reduced to begging for spare change.

Just a complete lack of perspective.

It's sad.

Lol, and people wonder why they just dont go get a McJob for 15k a year.

Last edited:
too many people giving them money. once a corner dries up, they don't come back.

they have a real freedom most will never know

I usually give if they ask for money. I know I'm not suppose to but screw it, there life is already tough as is.

What pisses me off are the entitled ones that's super aggressive from the get go. Those guys don't get shit.

Back