whats up with white/blue belts

Or maybe because putting black tape on your belt is ridiculously tacky.

water down, like add extra belts because people dont have the patience?

You're being an ass. I don't see how this waters down anything.

In truth, if you add a belt between white and blue, you can more reasonably make people wait longer for the blue belts, since they will have already gotten a "promotion."

At the end of the day, all the matters is what is being taught and whether or not it is quality BJJ.

My Brazilian coaches and teammates have told me the exact same thing. My coach imparticular couldn't believe I had been a white belt for 2 years.

Instructor 2 years?

Me: Yeah

Instructor: 2 YEARS!

Me: Yeah

Instructor: Like 24 months?

Me: Like 28 or something.

Instructor: Did you compete?

Me: Yeah.

Instructor: Did you win?

Me: A couple of times.

Instructor: Did you steal something?

Me: From who?

Instructor: From your old coach.

Me: No, he just never got around to giving it to me.

Instructor:eek:

Thinking 2 years is a long time and 6 months being normal is quite a difference though. I haven't heard of many 6 month blue belts, Brazil or otherwise. I'm also more shocked at the "no adult white belts". Most of the Brazilians that I have actually trained with personally didn't start until their mid to late teens. That may be an in between period that is neither child or adult, but people make it seem like you go to a class in Brazil and train with a dozen 20 year old black belts.

Thinking 2 years is a long time and 6 months being normal is quite a difference though. I haven't heard of many 6 month blue belts, Brazil or otherwise. I'm also more shocked at the "no adult white belts". Most of the Brazilians that I have actually trained with personally didn't start until their mid to late teens. That may be an in between period that is neither child or adult, but people make it seem like you go to a class in Brazil and train with a dozen 20 year old black belts.

I should have written a transcript of the entire conversation.:icon_neut

The dude went on to tell me that "a lot of guys (note: he didn't say every guy, but 'a lot of guys') get their blue belts in 6 monts." A lot of guys in that gym got their belts in 6 months too. Not everyone, but a few. They were all good though.

I think Ricardo Almeida does such system for aduts in his academy.

This. Instead of pieces of tape for stripes, its a different belt per stripe. My cousin trained there to his blue belt and he's got 3-4 different belts just from white to blue.

Wow, I guess I figured this belt thing would be more consistent. But it leads me to my next question do they promote by skill or number of classes you attend?

ugh.....i don't like that idea. i mean i don't mind stripes on belts, i think that helps from a retention point but also puts more pressure on the instructor in some capacities.

but to go outside of the traditional belt system just makes it seem like TKD. and this is coming from someone who teaches TKD and came from a traditional white and black belt school to now having like 9 belts.

I know of 2 schools that do this. Saulo and Xande's University of Jiu Jitsu has a green belt or something in between white and blue. Ricardo Almeida in NJ has different belts for each stripe you get from white to blue.

If you think its stupid, seriously, email them and let them know OR tell it to their faces.

Watered down jiu jitsu? Really? You think Saulo/Xande, two guys who are totally about the history and culture of BJJ would want to water it down? Ricardo Almeida? A Renzo Gracie black belt, a UFC fighter, and who's brother is a Gracie Barra black belt? This guy is watering down jiu jitsu? Ridiculous.

I know of 2 schools that do this. Saulo and Xande's University of Jiu Jitsu has a green belt or something in between white and blue. Ricardo Almeida in NJ has different belts for each stripe you get from white to blue.

If you think its stupid, seriously, email them and let them know OR tell it to their faces.

Watered down jiu jitsu? Really? You think Saulo/Xande, two guys who are totally about the history and culture of BJJ would want to water it down? Ricardo Almeida? A Renzo Gracie black belt, a UFC fighter, and who's brother is a Gracie Barra black belt? This guy is watering down jiu jitsu? Ridiculous.

A belt for ever stripe between white and blue? lol

A belt for ever stripe between white and blue? lol

Yes, but not in the way that you're thinking. Its basically a white belt with a blue stripe down the middle and it keeps adding more I think. Instead of strips of tape they just give you a different belt with more stripes. I don't think you pay for the belts either or pay for belt tests.

I can ask my cousin later but he trained there.

The extra belt is definitely not watering down BJJ considering I have to get 4 stripes on my white belt to be eligible to test for my white/blue. Then once I have my white/blue, I have to get another 4 stripes on my belt to be eligible to test for a blue belt. That's alot of hours on the mat before getting the next belt.

The extra belt is definitely not watering down BJJ considering I have to get 4 stripes on my white belt to be eligible to test for my white/blue. Then once I have my white/blue, I have to get another 4 stripes on my belt to be eligible to test for a blue belt. That's alot of hours on the mat before getting the next belt.

I think that depends on how long it takes to get a stripe.

We get stripes based on your performance and advancement. so when you step up to the next stripe level or belt level is all based on how much your learning and improving.

Do you get stripes faster or easier when you have a another belt to go threw?

I like stripes but, IMO extra belts are uneccesary.

I think that depends on how long it takes to get a stripe.

We get stripes based on your performance and advancement. so when you step up to the next stripe level or belt level is all based on how much your learning and improving.

Do you get stripes faster or easier when you have a another belt to go threw?

I like stripes but, IMO extra belts are uneccesary.

The striping system at my school ranges. It really depends how long you have been training and if your showing improvement. A few teammates have been at the school close to a yr and only have 1 stripe, while others have only been training 6 months and have 2 or more stripes (usually due to competition and winning). I have two stripes and have been training consistently for 6+ months and realistically do not see myself getting a blue until sometime in 2012.

seems like a lot of guys are butting heads regarding the belt issue, but looking at it from both sides, you have to realize that no matter how pure someon is teaching bjj, in the end it's about making a living as well. if it takes extra belts in between "traditional" belts to retain students and keep them motivated and is an effective means of attaining this aspect, so be it. ultimately, the student will be judged according to his skill and the name of the instructor who promotes the student will be on the line.

that being said, i like the standard "traditional" belt system (white, blue, purple, brown, black) but in the end, it really does not matter because your skill/technique/execution are what determine your ability, not the color of your belt. anyways, how cool is it when a white belt is tapping blues and catching purples?

I'm not sure why this seems like a big fucking deal. The basic belts are White, Blue, Purple, Brown and Black. Some schools use green belts and others user white/blue belts as a transition from White to Blue. It still takes you the same amount of time/skill to get to Blue, not any longer because of these transition belts. Also, the opinion of 99% of you on here complaining doesn't mean shit, because you're mostly white belts complaining about something that has been decided by instructors with 20+ years experience. I've seen Rickson students wearing white/blue belts. Are you going to say Rickson's ruining the sport of BJJ by watering it down with these transition belts? If Rickson gave you a pink belt with fucking unicorns and rainbows on it, you better wear that shit. These belts are in place because there's such a large range of skill before Blue, and these belts are not only good for motivation, but also an easy way of distinguishing completely new White belts and more skilled White belts; this is important when pairing students to roll. As academies grow and there's a large number of White belts, you can't expect every instructor to know off the top of their heads where each and every White belt ranks in the White belt totem pole, because honestly, there's so much turnover and no one gives a shit about white belts or their opinions.

Last edited:
might just be the way you master likes the belts to look. also more differenciating in skills, to get more appropriate skill boundaries.

Back