whats up with white/blue belts

chilldude

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been practicing Bjj for about a year, a couple of months ago I got permoted to white/blue belt (A blue belt devided in the center with a white stripe). It has become apparent to me that most schools promote from white to blue, then purple ect.. not white to white/blue to blue then,purple ect... Any body have any input?

Are you sure it's BJJ and not traditional JJ? Also are you a child by any chance?

I've seen white belts with the blue stripe in the center. Also seen adult green belts used for the same function. Not sure how that works in gi tournaments.

Are you sure it's BJJ and not traditional JJ? Also are you a child by any chance?

don't know if you're just being a smartass.

The truth is, from what I've heard, these are becoming more and more popular (although still quite rare). The idea is that you promote to the "blue and white" rather than using stripes. Schools like them because they can charge for the belts and, for whatever it's worth, students feel more motivated b/c they get a "new" belt, not just a stripe.

Sad to say that anything that makes the schools money is likely to stick.

I think Ricardo Almeida does such system for aduts in his academy.

don't know if you're just being a smartass.

The truth is, from what I've heard, these are becoming more and more popular (although still quite rare). The idea is that you promote to the "blue and white" rather than using stripes. Schools like them because they can charge for the belts and, for whatever it's worth, students feel more motivated b/c they get a "new" belt, not just a stripe.

Sad to say that anything that makes the schools money is likely to stick.

For the record I was being serious. I've heard of green belts on occasion, and striped belts for children (not in BJJ, but if the place teaches a general martial arts curriculum that includes BJJ), but I've never seen striped belts for adults. The last comment was supposed to be funny, but part serious. And since I hadn't heard of it, I thought maybe it was one of those cases where someone is training someone's own system of JJ and assumes it's BJJ because of inexperience.

I think Renzo Gracie associated gyms use that grading system for white belts, to improve student retenton/motivation.

I train at an official Renzo affiliate and we go white, blue, purple, brown, black. Likewise I've been to the main academy and have not seen green belts or striped belts.

some people seem to think adding an extra belt in the beginning will help keep students interested.

our school as green belts and i don't really agree with that. actually i've seen it have the opposite effect.... they get promoted and now i think it's more pressure to preform well even if it's only against a select few new guys who have less than six months of training. of the six people i trained with on a regular basis (about 45 actually got promoted but only those 6 do the night class in my location) only 2 of us actually still train regularly NOW because the other dude took a three month break.

to put it into an even better perspective 45 tested got promoted to green and only about 10 tested for blue and 8 actually got promoted.... so that takes the idea it keeps white belts interested and throws it out the window. i've seen that repeated twice with about the same ratio of people belt testing.

another reason i think it might be is because there is a HUGE skill difference between white and blue. i mean there might be between purple and blue also but think about it... people consider a blue someone who understands and can use basic principles effectively and is ready to branch out and develop his own game. so to me a green belt is someone who KNOWS the techniques but isn't at the level he/she can apply them effectively just yet.

edit: then again i should probably just go ask why we have adult green belts.... anyway something i forgot green belts still compete in the white division so i guess, at least for my school, they're considered advanced white belts. i train at a GB btw and have seen some of the ATT schools in my area do it as well. maybe its catching on in central florida.

I don't understand why people are branching off the ibjjf system. if you have adults with these extra belts, they cant compete at the biggest tournaments with this.... we're trying to regualate bjj, and get everyone on the same page so it will be more accepted, and grow. This extra stuff is killing us.

It takes an average of 10 years for an adult to get from white to black. lets just keep it the way it should be, and encourage our teammates, it's not about the belt, it's about the journey.

I don't understand why people are branching off the ibjjf system. if you have adults with these extra belts, they cant compete at the biggest tournaments with this.... we're trying to regualate bjj, and get everyone on the same page so it will be more accepted, and grow. This extra stuff is killing us.

It takes an average of 10 years for an adult to get from white to black. lets just keep it the way it should be, and encourage our teammates, it's not about the belt, it's about the journey.

during competitions our green belts are supposed to put on a white belts. but some don't and i've never seen anyone say anything about it.

it's not concrete but usually if you've been training at least six months you're going to be considered for green (some test quicker some test longer) and another six months of consistent training before your considered for blue (again of course it's up to the instructor exactly when). so really all they did was add a belt in between white and blue so they really aren't slowing anyone down to black.

How about the TS just asking his instructor?

during competitions our green belts are supposed to put on a white belts. but some don't and i've never seen anyone say anything about it.

it's not concrete but usually if you've been training at least six months you're going to be considered for green (some test quicker some test longer) and another six months of consistent training before your considered for blue (again of course it's up to the instructor exactly when). so really all they did was add a belt in between white and blue so they really aren't slowing anyone down to black.

Green is a kids belt color and should remain that way. It's stupid to deviate from the accepted IBJJF standards. Do we want to be taken seriously as a martial art or no?

we had 14 year old come in from another school and this kid is built like a tank running through guys and he had a blue wiht white in the middle because they couldnt promote him to blue becuase of his age. Liborio promoted him to green and he'll get his blue at 16

Green is a kids belt color and should remain that way. It's stupid to deviate from the accepted IBJJF standards. Do we want to be taken seriously as a martial art or no?

why is it stupid?

it doesn't take anything away from the sport... fact of the matter is whether there is three belts to black or a hundred the result will be the same if the same thing is expected of both belts.

also the people making the changes (at least in my schools case) are people who have lived BJJ from almost the very beginning. i think they know a lot more about bjj tradition and what's good for the sport than 90% of us combined.

why is it stupid?

it doesn't take anything away from the sport... fact of the matter is whether there is three belts to black or a hundred the result will be the same if the same thing is expected of both belts.

also the people making the changes (at least in my schools case) are people who have lived BJJ from almost the very beginning. i think they know a lot more about bjj tradition and what's good for the sport than 90% of us combined.

in your school so who do you train under? I'm pretty sure the ibjjf the cbjjf and the other national bjj federations would rather everyone comply to the same belt rank system, the same points system, etc. so maybe we can get a chance to be an olympic sport, a more accepted martial art. You know consistency not just all these pop up groups, with extra little steps.

It's stupid because it breeds inconsistency, mcdojos, and fake belts....

in your school so who do you train under? I'm pretty sure the ibjjf the cbjjf and the other national bjj federations would rather everyone comply to the same belt rank system, the same points system, etc. so maybe we can get a chance to be an olympic sport, a more accepted martial art. You know consistency not just all these pop up groups, with extra little steps.

It's stupid because it breeds inconsistency, mcdojos, and fake belts....

Marcio Simas in GB Orlando. here is our gyms website Gracie Barra Orlando | Orlando Martial Arts | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Orlando | Children's Martial Arts

in no way am i trying to speak for my gym just giving my opinion of what i see training here.

Marcio is very traditional...... in fact he was showing a position two weeks ago and said it was part of the "defense to the hair pull" which made me laugh to myself. why would i ever need to know what to do if someone pulled my hair??

but anyway my gym is a huge part of ibjjf in florida.

i don't think being an olympic sport has helped judo or tkd.

inconstancy is a great thing as long as the competition is realistic. gyms that find a system to train champions will thrive while gyms that water down training and fail to adapt will wilt die... or at least lose credibility which i believe is what happened to TMAs in the US.

Marcio Simas in GB Orlando. here is our gyms website Gracie Barra Orlando | Orlando Martial Arts | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Orlando | Children's Martial Arts

in no way am i trying to speak for my gym just giving my opinion of what i see training here.

Marcio is very traditional...... in fact he was showing a position two weeks ago and said it was part of the "defense to the hair pull" which made me laugh to myself. why would i ever need to know what to do if someone pulled my hair??

but anyway my gym is a huge part of ibjjf in florida.

i don't think being an olympic sport has helped judo or tkd.

inconstancy is a great thing as long as the competition is realistic. gyms that find a system to train champions will thrive while gyms that water down training and fail to adapt will wilt die... or at least lose credibility which i believe is what happened to TMAs in the US.

water down, like add extra belts because people dont have the patience?

I train at ATT Davie and we have green belt adults. It's basically like others have said - an "advanced" white belt. They know the basics but don't have their own game yet.

Back