What's up with these Jiu Jitsu guys in Strikeforce?

HardEight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why are they all wanting to stand up and box? I didn't see the Drac fight but from what I read his gameplan was more suited towards his BJJ background.
But as for Galvao, Gurgel, and Jacare, it seems like they are just trying to strike.
Galvao finally got some takedowns and worked some pretty good GNP (although I think that fight was called a little early) but when he stood up he got clipped once and almost lost the fight.
Gurgel didn't get Noons to the ground at all. Kinda think that fight should have ended up a no contest. He got knocked out after the bell (can't really blame him for that, they were in an exchange when it rang) and he caught an illegal knee while the ref was trying to stop the fight. Even if he got hit with it after the ref jumped in and the fight was technically over, it was still illegal.
Now Jacare (fight is still ongoing) hasn't really attempted any takedowns. And I know they are explosive as hell. But at least his striking looks pretty good compared to the rest of the BJJ artists I have seen tonight. Aside from the worst reffing in the business, I am always left feeling weird after watching Strikeforce because their fighters seem to have some of the oddest game plans in existence.
Am I alone here?

the best grappler in the world couldnt take me down... i took him down twice. - kennedy.

kennedy outstruck jacare
outgrappled the adcc champ. lol at that desicion

the best grappler in the world couldnt take me down... i took him down twice. - kennedy.

kennedy outstruck jacare

Is this true? from PBP seems totally opposite...but i didnt watch

I agree i cant believe Jacare a wrold class grappler tried to out strike a kick boxer I was pulling for Jac but he did not win that fight.

Compustrike had Kennedy ahead in strikes and takedowns...looked like Jacare hit a little harder, but not sure if it was enough to justify the decision.

kennedy outstruck jacare

kennedy took him down and jacare wasn't able to impose any of his grappling game, i'd say on balance jacare outstruck kennedy, landed the only real damaging punches, opened up some cuts. i'd say 4-1 or 3-2 was fair, i don't think kennedy won more than 2 rounds by any means.

It's happening in the UFC too. I just think pure grappling is just not that marketable. Pure grapplers don't excite the every day fan barring maybe Brock Lesnar. Only MMA hardcores love guys who grapple exclusively. Strikeforce is trying hard to take share away from WEC and UFC and has sent the message that more striking equals more fights. It's just my theory. How else could you explain a guy like Jacare thinking he's Anderson Silva?

look at the stats. kennedy landed more strikes had a higher accuracy. was 2/3 or 2/4 in takedowns. jacare 0/4

He couldnt do anything with the takedowns and he didnt land the cleaner shots. Who did more damage and controlled the pace/cage?

JACARE! Thats who.

It's happening in the UFC too. I just think pure grappling is just not that marketable. Pure grapplers don't excite the every day fan barring maybe Brock Lesnar. Only MMA hardcores love guys who grapple exclusively. Strikeforce is trying hard to take share away from WEC and UFC and has sent the message that more striking equals more fights. It's just my theory. How else could you explain a guy like Jacare thinking he's Anderson Silva?

Tell that to George Muthafuckin Sotiropoulos.

Jacare is an MMA fighter now. You gotta dance with the girl that brought you, but he's trying to get time in the ring on his other skills.

me and my friend already figured this out a long time ago

when they say 'this is a classic grappler vs grappler match' it always ends up being a shit boxing match lol

During the 45 seconds that the fight was on the ground Jacare dominated. He was in total control. I can't believe that he wanted to keep it standing.

Kennedy did have some very good takedown defense. Jacare had a perfectly timed takedown at one point and Kennedy stuffed it.

Kennedy landed more strikes, but they did no damage. Jacare landed 2% less strikes, but he battered Kennedy when he hit him and absolutely landed the more effective power shots. A lot of the shots Kennedy landed weren't clean (hitting Jacare's gloves, forearms, shoulders, etc).

Man, I was sitting there saying the same thing. The noons Gurgel fight...man I just couldn't believe his ego wouldn't let him take it to the ground. Its like watching a basketball player who can hit 99 out of 100 three pointers, but can't jump a foot of the ground, keep running in for the dunk..SHOOOT THE FUCKING THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The jacare/Kennedy fight was very close. I was torn in that fight because I am a huge kennedy fan and a huge Jacare fan. I would say that Jacare took the first, the second could have gone either way, Jacare took the third, Kennedy took the fourth and I think he took the fifth based on the huge slam at the end. I thought at least one of the judges would have given it to kennedy especially in texas but I guess not.

Jacare really impressed me with his standup, it is a lot better than it was even two fights ago. He really fixed that cardio problem too. I would like to see a rematch.

Gurgel, well what can you say. He refuses to fight on the ground. With that said however, he got layed out with a punch after the bell. Then in the second he was hit with an illegal knee before the ref stopped the fight. Was not impressed with the refs, except Big John.

Galvao had some decent ground and pound though. Survived a scare, though.

Man, I was sitting there saying the same thing. The noons Gurgel fight...man I just couldn't believe his ego wouldn't let him take it to the ground. Its like watching a basketball player who can hit 99 out of 100 three pointers, but can't jump a foot of the ground, keep running in for the dunk..SHOOOT THE FUCKING THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Frustrating.

Kennedy didn't do squat with his takedowns. Jacare landed the better punches. Sure compucrap showed the stats but this isn't olympic boxing where little pitter patter punches win you the fight.

Back