Whats up with Ian Mccall?

do you have a source besides the fucking Karate Kid?

I've heard of a few:

Rick Story beat a new guy who trained at his gym, forced him to retire(http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/11/23/2583398/mike-pierce-tale--rick-story-merciless-beating-rookie-mma-news)

Rose Namajunas complained of Duke Rofous' training, and didn't like the "gym culture" (http://mmajunkie.com/2014/11/rose-namajunas-explains-why-she-spoke-out-about-roufusport-concerns)

There was another "cult-like" gym I forgot the name of.

Team Alpha Douche : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoWGOAXcnU

Van Zant at one point disliked the gym because she thought they were ignoring her, but later came back after abandoning her old gym.http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/11/5992251/urijah-faber-paige-vanzant-hasnt-been-around-team-alpha-male-at-all

All gyms don't have a moral high ground.

I've heard of a few:

Rick Story beat a new guy who trained at his gym, forced him to retire(http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/11/23/2583398/mike-pierce-tale--rick-story-merciless-beating-rookie-mma-news)

Rose Namajunas complained of Duke Rofous' training, and didn't like the "gym culture" (http://mmajunkie.com/2014/11/rose-namajunas-explains-why-she-spoke-out-about-roufusport-concerns)

There was another "cult-like" gym I forgot the name of.

Team Alpha Douche : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoWGOAXcnU

Van Zant at one point disliked the gym because she thought they were ignoring her, but later came back after abandoning her old gym.http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/11/5992251/urijah-faber-paige-vanzant-hasnt-been-around-team-alpha-male-at-all

All gyms don't have a moral high ground.
TJ said that Danny Castillo used to bully a guy at TAM because he was getting beaten in sparring by him. IIRC, he said the guy lost all confidence and quit.

lol, the mean streets of Vancouver.

Of all the places he could have chosen to emphasize his point, he chose Vancouver, lmao. What next? The mean streets of West Linn Oregon?

Ignorance. How many teenagers get executed in West Linn Oregon for selling weed? Gang life is no joke in Canada. If you cross a gang member, you can easily find yourself in a world of shit, and MMA gyms, and gyms in general, are infested with roided out gang members.

Ignorance. How many teenagers get executed in West Linn Oregon for selling weed? Gang life is no joke in Canada. If you cross a gang member, you can easily find yourself in a world of shit, and MMA gyms, and gyms in general, are infested with roided out gang members.

vancouver isn't even in the top 250 cities on crime index, violent crimes, or murder rate. In fact it's rated as one of the safer cities in the world. You really don't know what you are talking about. Try living in Albuquerque NM, or visiting places like Caracas and Johannesburg.

No doubt bullying happens from time to time in MMA gyms just like it does everywhere, but your assertions are stupid and show your complete lack of experience and knowledge of what most places are like.

Where I used to live, you could get bottled or stabbed for looking at someone the wrong way, but I still felt safe living there. There's crime everywhere, and Vancouver's no gangland.

Also, I'm not from Oregon, I was parodying Sonnen.

vancouver isn't even in the top 250 cities on crime index, violent crimes, or murder rate. In fact it's rated as one of the safer cities in the world. You really don't know what you are talking about. Try living in Albuquerque NM, or visiting places like Caracas and Johannesburg.

No doubt bullying happens from time to time in MMA gyms just like it does everywhere, but your assertions are stupid and show your complete lack of experience and knowledge of what most places are like.

I hate wasting my time, but let me try to educate you about how little you know about the real world.

The crime rate of Vancouver is irrelevant. The majority of Vancouver city are wealthy Whites and Chinese, and poor homeless whites who just want to get high all day and at worst will rob you.

That population dilutes the crime rate dramatically. Similarly, when you look at a city like Surrey, the crime rate is relatively high, but overall the statistics say it is actually not that bad, because you are also looking at South Surrey, which again is mostly rich Whites and Asians, including South Asians.

Secondly, you are looking at the overall population, and not just the population relevant to this discussion, which is young testosterone filled males who frequent mma gyms.

Third, you are considering gang vs gang crime and criminal vs criminal crime when you look at the crime rates of other major cities in the USA. That is of course irrelevant to the discussion, because what we are discussing is gang vs NON criminal/gang member violence.

I am sure you still don't understand why your comment was ignorant, but I wont waste my entire day trying to educate you. Just understand that you don't know how statistics work, and you aren't an intelligent person.

Where I used to live, you could get bottled or stabbed for looking at someone the wrong way, but I still felt safe living there.

That is irrelevant to the discussion we are having.

Would you feel safe humiliating a known gang member during a competition, or in their home gym?

I literally can't walk down the street for 30 seconds living in Metro Vancouver without passing a gang member.

That is irrelevant to the discussion we are having.

Would you feel safe humiliating a known gang member during a competition, or in their home gym?

I literally can't walk down the street for 30 seconds living in Metro Vancouver without passing a gang member.
There are a lot of variables to your question, so it is not as simple as yes, or no. If it was a public event with people around to stop the crew from beating me up, then yeah. I wouldn't enter into a situation like you said, though, that's just stupid.

There are a lot of variables to your question, so it is not as simple as yes, or no. If it was a public event with people around to stop the crew from beating me up, then yeah. I wouldn't enter into a situation like you said, though, that's just stupid.

Uhm, you do know they would jump you after, not at the actual event, right? Have you never actually dealt with gangs face to face before? They get you on their terms, not yours.

You are admitting that you wouldn't even enter a competition with known gang members competing, which is my entire point. This is why entire gyms get banned from competition here, because they are either infested with gang members, or they form their own gang.

We aren't talking about getting "beat up" by a crew. Getting beat up is nothing. Getting murdered or beaten to within an inch of your life is what realistically happens. Spot the wrong guy at the gym and you get added to a hit list.

Of all the places he could have chosen to emphasize his point, he chose Vancouver, lmao. What next? The mean streets of West Linn Oregon?

He is right though, MMA in Vancouver has a dark culture. An example is Jason Thacker getting the shit kicked out of him by Gibsons gym. Also universal MMA has had some questionable characters in the past as was the case for the former owners of revolution fight team who were hells angel associates in Langley.

Bullying does happen in MMA, Mike Peirce has talked about guys like Rick Story going apeshit on newbies as was the case with militch fight team.

Uhm, you do know they would jump you after, not at the actual event, right? Have you never actually dealt with gangs face to face before? They get you on their terms, not yours.

You are admitting that you wouldn't even enter a competition with known gang members competing, which is my entire point. This is why entire gyms get banned from competition here, because they are either infested with gang members, or they form their own gang.

We aren't talking about getting "beat up" by a crew. Getting beat up is nothing. Getting murdered or beaten to within an inch of your life is what realistically happens. Spot the wrong guy at the gym and you get added to a hit list.
I know of gangs, but I don't deal with them. I value my well-being, thanks.

Also, I was never arguing with you about whether there were gyms run by gangs, (there are). I said that Vancouver is not known for its gang crime. I agree with you about shady characters in gyms.

He is right though, MMA in Vancouver has a dark culture. An example is Jason Thacker getting the shit kicked out of him by Gibsons gym. Also universal MMA has had some questionable characters in the past as was the case for the former owners of revolution fight team who were hells angel associates in Langley.

Bullying does happen in MMA, Mike Peirce has talked about guys like Rick Story going apeshit on newbies as was the case with militch fight team.
You know, I didn't know that about Vancouver. Thanks for the knowledge.

You know, I didn't know that about Vancouver. Thanks for the knowledge.

I have been more so involved in their boxing community and most of the people are shitty human beings with a chip on their shoulders.

The only cool guy I met and trained with was Tony Pep. I feel that an accomplished guy like Pep doesn't have an ego or attitude of trying to live through his students and so there is no bad attitude on his part.

Meanwhile, other gyms that I have been to are run by angry,bitter coaches who are trying to live through you so if you lose you are really letting them down and so you might end up with a verbal beating...

I have been more so involved in their boxing community and most of the people are shitty human beings with a chip on their shoulders.

The only cool guy I met and trained with was Tony Pep. I feel that an accomplished guy like Pep doesn't have an ego or attitude of trying to live through his students and so there is no bad attitude on his part.

Meanwhile, other gyms that I have been to are run by angry,bitter coaches who are trying to live through you so if you lose you are really letting them down and so you might end up with a verbal beating...
I know a lot of chavvy guys that box. Less so, guys that train MMA, because they think BJJ is "gay and for pussyholes"

Emerson slept with his wife. I'd be pissed, too.

I didn't like how he made excuses after losing to Lineker, though. He's a funny guy, but he thinks he's better than he really is, and it vexes me.

Why? Lineker weighed in at 130 the day before.
McCall had a right to complain and he also had an excuse.

I know a lot of chavvy guys that box. Less so, guys that train MMA, because they think BJJ is "gay and for pussyholes"

Funny thing is, despite the bad attitudes, Vancouver is pretty open minded in terms of gender preferences. What most boxers think of BJJ around my area is how insanely expensive it is to train in it.

Ultimately, my experience is that, its not the art that creates bad students but the gym culture. That's why I like places like Kyokushin gyms or Judo clubs that are strict in terms of how you act during training.

Back