Whats up with Ian Mccall?

Dude it's the nature of martial arts and combat sports.

Most of the people who get involved are either bullies, or were bullied.

Lots of gang members train MMA these days, it's not uncommon at all.

I've seen entire gyms banned from competitions because their members were jumping people when they got beat in a competition.

It's not a family friendly sport. Maybe in 20 years, but not today. Attend an event and see the majority of the people there. Half the guys there would love to kick the shit out of some weak dude half their size, with 2 of their buddies helping. It gets their adrenaline flowing. A bunch of the other guys are trying to get the inspiration to walk into a gym and stop being a victim.

Very few are just there to watch a sporting event.

I don't know what gyms you have been to but ive seen the exact opposite. Jackson's is incredibly family friendly and most everyone there are really nice normal people, including the pro fighters. Hell i helped teach the little tigers kids class at jackson's for a while.

Ive been to dozens and dozens of amateur and pro events and havent seen what you are talking about. Its mostly peoples families and friends sowing up to support them...

Dude it's the nature of martial arts and combat sports.

Most of the people who get involved are either bullies, or were bullied.

Lots of gang members train MMA these days, it's not uncommon at all.

I've seen entire gyms banned from competitions because their members were jumping people when they got beat in a competition.

It's not a family friendly sport. Maybe in 20 years, but not today. Attend an event and see the majority of the people there. Half the guys there would love to kick the shit out of some weak dude half their size, with 2 of their buddies helping. It gets their adrenaline flowing. A bunch of the other guys are trying to get the inspiration to walk into a gym and stop being a victim.

Very few are just there to watch a sporting event.

I don't know.
I have trained for quite a few years and usually the bullies get humbled and change their attitude or (most common) they leave after getting humbled in the first class.
The bullies seemed to me like the least likely to show up after getting submitted a couple of times.
As they just seem to want to win and not really learn, like the level headed people are into. Not really their environment. But it is great if they are stubborn enough to stay and learn and become better people.

I don't know what gyms you have been to but ive seen the exact opposite. Jackson's is incredibly family friendly and most everyone there are really nice normal people, including the pro fighters. Hell i helped teach the little tigers kids class at jackson's for a while.

You misunderstand. It doesn't matter if some gyms, or even the majority of gyms, are family friendly. The sport itself, at a high competition level, is not. There are, in fact, gyms where you will get bullied if you show any sign of weakness, by your own teammates, and many members are literally gang members who sell drugs and murder people.

Lots of gyms actually have to have a police of no gang members posted on their doors to discourage gangs from coming in, because it makes sense that gang members want to train to fight better, but once you let a few in, they can easily poison the entire gym.

This isn't a new concept. Have you never seen the Karate Kid? Some gyms train the bullied, and tell their students never to use what they learn in the streets. Some gyms train the bullies, and encourage their students never to let someone disrespect them.

Ive been to dozens and dozens of amateur and pro events and havent seen what you are talking about. Its mostly peoples families and friends sowing up to support them...

I have to agree... Douchebags are everywhere. Well, every time of awful human exists in every sort of environment - let's just accept that reality. However, most of the people I know who were shady types and got into MMA or BJJ generally became much more calm and respectful in their general character.

I don't know.
I have trained for quite a few years and usually the bullies get humbled and change their attitude or (most common) they leave after getting humbled in the first class.
The bullies seemed to me like the least likely to show up after getting submitted a couple of times.
As they just seem to want to win and not really learn, like the level headed people are into. Not really their environment. But it is great if they are stubborn enough to stay and learn and become better people.

I don't know if you guys are kind of slow, or what. Do you really think gyms run by gangs don't exist? Please educate yourselves on how real life works before you get yourselves hurt. There are times in competition where you can't go hard, because if you win or humiliate your opponent, you are going to get a visit on the street.

Where do you think the bullies go after getting submitted a couple of times? They just give up on MMA forever? No, they go to the gym on the other side of town, where they roll with their own kind.

I don't know if you guys are kind of slow, or what. Do you really think gyms run by gangs don't exist? Please educate yourselves on how real life works before you get yourselves hurt. There are times in competition where you can't go hard, because if you win or humiliate your opponent, you are going to get a visit on the street.

Who was talking about gangs running gyms?
I thought we were talking about the bully attitude in general.

Where do you think the bullies go after getting submitted a couple of times? They just give up on MMA forever? No, they go to the gym on the other side of town, where they roll with their own kind.

The gym where the guys run away because they are too mentally weak to learn and accept technique?
Sounds like a gym that is successful.

You misunderstand. It doesn't matter if some gyms, or even the majority of gyms, are family friendly. The sport itself, at a high competition level, is not. There are, in fact, gyms where you will get bullied if you show any sign of weakness, by your own teammates, and many members are literally gang members who sell drugs and murder people.

Lots of gyms actually have to have a police of no gang members posted on their doors to discourage gangs from coming in, because it makes sense that gang members want to train to fight better, but once you let a few in, they can easily poison the entire gym.

This isn't a new concept. Have you never seen the Karate Kid? Some gyms train the bullied, and tell their students never to use what they learn in the streets. Some gyms train the bullies, and encourage their students never to let someone disrespect them.

This is bullshit!!!

I don't want to derail my own thread but speaking of karate kid, Daniel was the REAL bully!!!

He sucker punched Johnny in the face only because johnny was tripping him when Lapusso was attacking him.

wtf are you talking about? I think most of your information is coming from films like the karate kid

Sorry but I know people at the highest levels of this sport and it's family friendly. I'm very good friends with more than a few UFC fighters, guys in bellator, WSOF, and down through the ranks of pro and amateurs. Even if fighters are from rival gyms there is no hate that i've seen. (individuals may have a bit of beef with each other, but really it usually is cool after they fight) Fighters are generally cool with each other. After my fights or team mates fights all the fighters tend to go to the same bar afterwards and hang out. Guys that just beat each other down in the cage laugh and have a few drinks together.

I think its very obvious you do not train MMA and have never fought.

lol, where the hell do you live, Compton? A favela?

Any high level gym worth its salt wouldn't foster this kind of crap. A visit on the streets? What fuck are you on about mate?

Bullies do give up when they get submitted. That's the hallmark of a bully, they can't take their own medicine. Getting good at martial arts takes years of training, dedication. Most cowards don't have that in them. They just want six months of training to beat up noobs off the street that haven't thrown a punch since grade school or have never seen a RNC before.

I think its very obvious you do not train MMA and have never fought.

lol, where the hell do you live, Compton? A favela?

Come to Vancouver, BC, Canada and keep talking shit about how there are no high level gyms run by gangs. You guys are ignorant as hell. I guarantee every major city has high level gyms which are used mostly by gang members.

Let me guess, you think amateur gyms don't hand out steroids and teach their members how to use them either, right? Sheltered kids like you guys make me sad. It's not even funny how ignorant you are to the reality of the world.

Oh yeah, steroids are totally family friendly...

Come to Vancouver, BC, Canada and keep talking shit about how there are no high level gyms run by gangs. You guys are ignorant as hell. I guarantee every major city has high level gyms which are used mostly by gang members.

Let me guess, you think amateur gyms don't hand out steroids and teach their members how to use them either, right? Sheltered kids like you guys make me sad. It's not even funny how ignorant you are to the reality of the world.

Kid, my job entails going to places you wouldn't even dream of being. I'll be in caracas venezuela in Cctober, I've worked in Colombia, I've been all over Africa, Israel and more places than I've had time to mention.

Not at all worried about the mean streets of Vancouver and their high level gyms run by "gangs". Go back to watching Karate Kid and pretending you have a clue what's going on.

do you have a source besides the fucking Karate Kid?

Kid, my job entails going to places you wouldn't even dream of being. I'll be in caracas venezuela in Cctober, I've worked in Colombia, I've been all over Africa, Israel and more places than I've had time to mention.

Not at all worried about the mean streets of Vancouver and their high level gyms run by "gangs". Go back to watching Karate Kid and pretending you have a clue what's going on.

Holy shit you are such a tough guy. This has nothing to do with the "streets" in general. We are talking about MMA gyms. Please, prove to me you aren't afraid of a gang member. Go film yourself walking up to a real gang member and challenging them to a fight, and then absolutely humiliating them on their home turf. I beg of you. But you wont, because you are only tough behind your keyboard.

You think this is a fucking joke but I have seen gangs around here literally just pick a kid out at random, follow them til they are alone, and then execute them. We have young teenagers getting executed for selling pot on the wrong side of town. But yeah, you would totally embarrass them in competition because you are such a tough guy.

Of all the places he could have chosen to emphasize his point, he chose Vancouver, lmao. What next? The mean streets of West Linn Oregon?

I knew there was a reason I Never moved to Van. To distance myself from idiots like you.

Back