What's the secret behind Carwin's punches?

VegaLaw

White Belt
Reaction score
he doesn't seem to get his hips into his punches (more of a shoulder punch), and his fist doesn't seem to be traveling at high velocity at the moment of impact. I could be wrong about both. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But if these observations are correct, I'm looking for more explanation as to how he is easily knocking people down/out, because in my understanding, fist velocity at point of impact is a major influence on knockouts, in addition to state of acceleration(follow-through) and stiffness of fist/arm/body behind the punch.

His punches probably possess the follow-through and stiffness, but I'm not so sure about velocity. Maybe it's also due to how he times it and where he hits too, not necessarily how powerful his punches are.

well, you also have to consider that he's naturally around 280 before cutting, so he has an extremely strong upper body. that's definitely a big factor. plus at 265 there's still alot of weight behind the punch.

he is a solid 280lb before cutting and has a powerful upper body and powerful Core strength

I'm not sure how his weight/mass comes into play for momentum since from what I've seen only his arm and bit of shoulder is traveling towards the target. Through stiffness, I can see how his weight can add to the impact at contact, but don't see how the weight plays into the momentum if most of it is not moving.

not only is he huge and very strong, he uses short and straight punches, instead of sloppy looping punches or haymaker...That results in him landing more often than most, and with his size/power he can drop pretty much anyone if he lands.

He turns his punhes over, and his shoulders are still there. Its enough to KO

He turns his punhes over, and his shoulders are still there. Its enough to KO

that is not the answer to the ts question. paulie malignaggi could "turn his punches over" and keep "his shoulders still there" and not even phase the top 10 in his weightclass. there is something beyond the technique, but the reason he lands so much is his punches are short and straight, the rest is brute power/size.

Well against Frank Mir he used like a dozen uppercuts to the chin in rapid succession. I don't think any one of those punches was all that hard but they were right on the button and just one after another.

there is no "secret" to his punches. he's just one of those guys who naturally has a lot of power. if he actually knew how to box he'd be holding the belt right now.

Aside from all the things that people have already mentioned, he probably has genetically located tendon tie ins like a gorilla. Combine that with all the other aspects, and I think you have the answer.

:icon_chee

296bqxl.jpg

Carwin is roughly the same size as Lesnar, but whereas Lesnar has a larger and wider upper body, Carwin has a larger lower body (thighs, butt). The lower hips and thighs is where the angular momentum for the torso twist is generated, and Carwin has a larger engine here. Carwin is also narrower in the body, which means that his upper body is easier for his hips to rotate (smaller angular mass). This also means that more energy can go into his punches rather than into rotating a big lumbering upper body that is not contributing anything to the energy of the punch. Google a few boxers with famous KO power - they are generally narrower in the chest than Brock.

These two factors mean that Carwin has the ability to generate a powerful punch.

But if you have to cut to a lean 265 and you can't KO someone there is a problem.

296bqxl.jpg

Carwin is roughly the same size as Lesnar, but whereas Lesnar has a larger and wider upper body, Carwin has a larger lower body (thighs, butt). The lower hips and thighs is where the angular momentum for the torso twist is generated, and Carwin has a larger engine here. Carwin is also narrower in the body, which means that his upper body is easier for his hips to rotate (smaller angular mass). This also means that more energy can go into his punches rather than into rotating a big lumbering upper body that is not contributing anything to the energy of the punch. Google a few boxers with famous KO power - they are generally narrower in the chest than Brock.

These two factors mean that Carwin has the ability to generate a powerful punch.

But if you have to cut to a lean 265 and you can't KO someone there is a problem.

You are just making things up with no scientific backing

Really big hands and he tends to shift all his weight forward so he doesn't need as much acceleration as others might.

lumbering upper body that is not contributing anything to the energy of the punch. Google a few boxers with famous KO power - they are generally narrower in the chest than Brock.

Hagler had some chicken legs and was one of the most powerful punchers of his weight class.

But generally you are correct, most knockout artists at the top level have very strong and dense lower body.

Back