What's the point of throwing jab to the leg?

ClassicPoorHoneybee.gif

It's embarassingly bad. Glad he's on a three fight losing streak.

I feel like we're being generous calling them strikes. After a decade of Tang Soo Do and Muay Thai I feel I can tell the difference between a strike intended for damage and a strike intended to "count". Those were hardly strikes at all. They were disrupt forward motion, much like bluffing a blitz.

Also your last sentence made almost no sense. If you stop an offense.... it doesn't mean you scored. Bendo stopping forward momentum of Cerrone doesn't mean he's being offensive.

Honestly, man. You're fighting a weird battle here.

At least you're intelligible, and I appreciate that.

I don't know what I said earlier - when you stop an offence you stop the team from scoring, but it's not an apt analogy to begin with.

If you want to introduce a new system of judging, I'll hear you out, but it's silly to think that jabs don't count. They've always counted, this situation is no different.

I feel like we're being generous calling them strikes. After a decade of Tang Soo Do and Muay Thai I feel I can tell the difference between a strike intended for damage and a strike intended to "count". Those were hardly strikes at all. They were disrupt forward motion, much like bluffing a blitz.

Also your last sentence made almost no sense. If you stop an offense.... it doesn't mean you scored. Bendo stopping forward momentum of Cerrone doesn't mean he's being offensive.

Honestly, man. You're fighting a weird battle here.

Did you also learn about set ups and feints? About keeping fighters off balance?

There is plenty that goes on in a high level fight that isn't about causing damage in that moment, but setting up your attack.

No one thinks a jab to the leg is causing significant damage. But anyone who's watched Cerrone in previous fights could see that he never established an attack, never felt comfortable and never strung together strikes or landed anything big. Why? Because Bendo kept him off balance and constantly guessing/chasing.

Something should be done, the judging is far too inconsistent.

I don't think you can start judging shots by how hard they appear to land, that would be too subjective. Maybe by how much damage is done, but again, that's not always clear.

I agree with this. But they also can't take clearly busy-strikes and start counting them as significant. Bendo had nothing to follow the 45-50 leg jabs, literally 45-50 or of 90-something strikes were busy strikes.

I don't want to see LnPers getting more ammo by being allowed to count rabbit punches as significant. And once again, I don't think Cerrone won. I think that fight was full of not-winning.

At least you're intelligible, and I appreciate that.

I don't know what I said earlier - when you stop an offence you stop the team from scoring, but it's not an apt analogy to begin with.

If you want to introduce a new system of judging, I'll hear you out, but it's silly to think that jabs don't count. They've always counted, this situation is no different.

What about butt jabs? Do they count?

Does hammer fisting a calve count?

Serious stuff here folks.

Cowboy was afraid of getting taken down, so Bendo jabbed at his thigh to make him even more afraid of throwing kicks while also getting annoyed by the pat

I agree with this. But they also can't take clearly busy-strikes and start counting them as significant. Bendo had nothing to follow the 45-50 leg jabs, literally 45-50 or of 90-something strikes were busy strikes.

I don't want to see LnPers getting more ammo by being allowed to count rabbit punches as significant. And once again, I don't think Cerrone won. I think that fight was full of not-winning.

I think that Bendo didn't win, but Cerrone lost, that's how I look at it. But you can't say that Bendo landed 50 leg jabs and they're worthless, it's just not how the sport works. Again, if you'd like to table some new judging ideas, I'll hear you out, but as it stands, we can't make those jabs go away.

Sometimes when you feel confused as to your feelings for the other man, you just touch his thigh and go from there.

I'm think it's mostly a takedown or level change feint. Judging from how his opponents react to it, it def works as a feint. It also makes him look active.

I think that Bendo didn't win, but Cerrone lost, that's how I look at it.

I respect that stance because I know you have your valid reasons. However, I just wouldn't want to give Bendo the win. Like I said, I'd give no one the win, and the fans a Loss on the record. :D

But you can't say that Bendo landed 50 leg jabs and they're worthless, it's just not how the sport works.
It is though. That's why they have Significant vs Non-Sig strikes. Rabbit punches while in side control aren't really counted. And I wouldn't say leg stabs are always worthless. However, I think a most fighters and judges would agree those weren't for damage.

Again, if you'd like to table some new judging ideas, I'll hear you out, but as it stands, we can't make those jabs go away.

Funny enough, last year I gave the NSAC a 20-page document that outlined the proper judging system defined as "Practical Advancement and the Redefinition of Significant Strikes"..... they shelved it. My fault for the hubris of thinking becoming the Tuff-N-Uff matchmaker held some sort of weight, :icon_lol:

It is though. That's why they have Significant vs Non-Sig strikes. Rabbit punches while in side control aren't really counted. And I wouldn't say leg stabs are always worthless. However, I think a most fighters and judges would agree those weren't for damage.

I agree 100%. The reason I stopped attempting to respond with any type of serious criticism is that everyone who disagrees with you Miles refuses to acknowledge that all strikes aren't equal.

So they'll celebrate in this gray area that allows them to mock you with a red herring that sounds something like: "So, you don't think jabs should count!?"

Or something equally dumb like insisting you single handedly rewrite all the rules because you see a problem with how they score effective striking.

Or something even dumber like insisting after 12 rounds of leg jabs they'd begin to do damage and you don't know what you're talking about, et cetera.

When in all reality it's a far, far stretch from what you're saying. I get it, many get it, it's a subtle and difficult thing to examine but anyone who's ever trained, fought or even watched the sport long enough knows damn well not all significant strikes are equal and many play the game of "points" over "damage" when it comes to hoping for a decision.

Bendo played the game and lost. I for one am happy about it. Fuck his leg jabs.

I respect that stance because I know you have your valid reasons. However, I just wouldn't want to give Bendo the win. Like I said, I'd give no one the win, and the fans a Loss on the record. :D

Objectively I'd be fine with a draw. I'd still be pissed that I lost some cash, but I wouldn't complain, it was that close.

Funny enough, last year I gave the NSAC a 20-page document that outlined the proper judging system defined as "Practical Advancement and the Redefinition of Significant Strikes"..... they shelved it. My fault for the hubris of thinking becoming the Tuff-N-Uff matchmaker held some sort of weight, :icon_lol:

No idea what Tuff-N-Uff is, but I think it's not going to change anytime soon. Look at how Dana treats the whole thing - "don't leave it in the hand of the judges". He says that after every decision he doesn't agree with. So instead of saying there is a real problem and we're going to look for a solution, he basically says, it can't be helped.

If Dana doesn't care, I'm not surprised your system was rejected. Frankly if you added two more judges, a lot of this would be cleared up and you wouldn't have to change anything.

Frankly if you added two more judges, a lot of this would be cleared up and you wouldn't have to change anything.

This guys solution is the best. Don't touch the rules, just add more judges!

Jesus fucking Christ.

He's been doing this since he fought Diaz iirc? I think it's to keep his opponent guessing

I believe I recall Bendo using it to set up a straight left that dropped or at least hurt Diaz possibly. Brings the hands down.

Like I said in my first post in this topic. It's called money in the bank. It is cululative damage, a strike that keeps your opponent guessing, yes, it hurts! Maybe it doesn't hurt like some other stike ... but ... that's the point.

Long term strategies and the techniques that back them are lost on the short sighted.

Back