What's the point of the 'superman punch?'

i've seen ppl set up a superman punch also by checking a kick with their leg and jumping right into the punch.

Huh...... never thought of that....... that makes sense! Thanks!

Personally, i think it's used by desperate people who otherwise can't box. But that's just my opinion.

Personally, i think it's used by desperate people who otherwise can't box. But that's just my opinion.

What? I am curious what possibly could have brought you to that opinion!

Only if the person doing it doesn't understand it or is throwing it for the wrong reasons. I once read a post in this forum which said something like, "I like using the Superman punch, I'm a short guy and it helps to close the distance. The Superman punch is used to close distances and is a gravity assisted punch."

I LOL'd after reading it.

In reality, it's a surprise attack, something you occassionally pull out from your "bag of tricks" to catch someone off guard and make you less predictable. I do almost strictly Muay Thai, so when someone tries catching my mid-kicks, I'll throw a Superman to shake things up and make them more weary about trying to catch my kicks. I then of course exploit that newfound caution and blast his body with a mid-kick.

Only if the person doing it doesn't understand it or is throwing it for the wrong reasons. I once read a post in this forum which said something like, "I like using the Superman punch, I'm a short guy and it helps to close the distance. The Superman punch is used to close distances and is a gravity assisted punch."

I LOL'd after reading it.

In reality, it's a surprise attack, something you occassionally pull out from your "bag of tricks" to catch someone off guard and make you less predictable. I do almost strictly Muay Thai, so when someone tries catching my mid-kicks, I'll throw a Superman to shake things up and make them more weary about trying to catch my kicks. I then of course exploit that newfound caution and blast his body with a mid-kick.

Some people think that the "superman punch" is a knock out blow, or a bread and butter move, I never understood this.

It's probably because of the name :rolleyes:

kinda like a backfist.

Some people think that the "superman punch" is a knock out blow, or a bread and butter move, I never understood this.

It's probably because of the name :rolleyes:

People want to be superstars and have highlight reel finishes. That's why we see high kicks with no setup or jumping, spinning, reverse, flipping, tumbling, rolling, wheel kicks that come from left field.

People want to be superstars and have highlight reel finishes. That's why we see high kicks with no setup or jumping, spinning, reverse, flipping, tumbling, rolling, wheel kicks that come from left field.

hey thats what i'd plan to do if i ever became a fighter. I'd have some of datsiks rolling up kicks.. plus some sudo spinning backfists.. maybe some spinning hook kicks..shit is awesome.

hey thats what i'd plan to do if i ever became a fighter. I'd have some of datsiks rolling up kicks.. plus some sudo spinning backfists.. maybe some spinning hook kicks..shit is awesome.

Genki is the shit. I wanna be a fighter like that too. He's such an entertainer.

Why not just use a lead over hand right since most mma fighters cary their left hand really low.

Why not just use a lead over hand right since most mma fighters cary their left hand really low.

You can't throw a lead right if your back foot isn't planted on the ground. The Superman punch is completely different in terms of set up, execution and application.

Back